Eye and ear pro changes - including for hunting

fwafwow

WKR
Input welcome:
  1. Eye pro- I use some super low price clear glasses at the bench, and regular sunglasses when hunting. Cost isn't a material factor. Looking currently at two options, ideally without the Oakley-type look, but open to others
    • Stngr Ridge Ballistic, as they come in sunglasses and clear, and I'd want a pair of each.
    • Smith Elites (Frontman, Hudson, Director, etc. that look like "normal" sunglasses), but not all of them are available in clear
    • Does anyone use a yellow lens when hunting in low light?
  2. Ear pro- I'm still looking at ear muff alternatives to my Howard Leights, but now just for protection improvements (the background noise from the post below is on me). I know that these prices would be multiples of HL or Walker muffs:
    • Sordin - Supreme Pros or otherwise? Kind of like the idea of the ones (Supreme Pro-X LED) that have a light. Several members recommended these in a prior post below.
    • Peltor - Sport Tactical (a member recommended the 500) or ComTacs (I don't need comms)?
    • How about the Safariland Liberators - DEHP or HP?
    • Others?
A recent injury, the post about an exploding can, and spare time has me thinking more about the above. Yes, I've posted twice on similar ear pro topics (one a year ago), and thanks to all who replied to those.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
I wear prescription so it’s a little different but I had a similar idea as you. I want to be looking through the same shape lens. I have Wiley x clears and sun glasses I alternate whenever I’m shooting or hunting.

MSA sordins are great muffs. Wasn’t impressed with Howard leighs, they didn’t fit me right. I was very surprised how well the noise amplification works on the sordins. Comfortable muffs too.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I wear prescription so it’s a little different but I had a similar idea as you. I want to be looking through the same shape lens. I have Wiley x clears and sun glasses I alternate whenever I’m shooting or hunting.

MSA sordins are great muffs. Wasn’t impressed with Howard leighs, they didn’t fit me right. I was very surprised how well the noise amplification works on the sordins. Comfortable muffs too.
Thanks. I had overlooked/forgotten about the Wiley X and like the Guard Advanced. Also thanks for the input on the Sordins.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
My best advice on eye protection is to get something that meets the ANSI safety rating for impact. Most reputable brands designed for this purpose are going to adhere to those guidelines but it is something to consider in the clear safety frames. If they don’t publish that information polycarbonate lenses are a good bet. They’re softer and the surface scratches more easily but it’s the old accepted standby. The idea there is in the event of an impact they won’t shatter and send shards of material into your eye. Most of the safety frames are going to be more “wrapped” than flat and the tint options are totally subjective. A lot of people like yellow for shooting but pick what feels comfortable

I went back to Oakley m frames for eye pro while shooting. I don’t wear them hunting except for upland but I probably should.

For ear pro i use MSA sordins for shotgunning. For rifle stuff I like in ear plugs I put in right before the shot. Prefer rubber with a lanyard as I don’t have time to wait for foam to expand. Decibulls or cheaper 3m stuff. I just find them easier than head phones.

Lawnboi

WKR
Thanks. I had overlooked/forgotten about the Wiley X and like the Guard Advanced. Also thanks for the input on the Sordins.
For what it’s worth, the gaskets on my Wiley x (brick) work great at minimizing concussion as well. I don’t feel like I got punched in the eyes after a match like with my glasses. They work great for fishing too, and hunting in dusty conditions

If you get sordins make sure they are the MSA ones and make sure to get them from a North America dealer so you can actually use your warranty

Edit, if your mil, Leo or first responder, expert voice will get you pro pricing on a lot of the above brands.

Last edited:

Eric_F

FNG
I have the Sordin Supreme Pro X (no LED) with the regular headband not neck strap. The gel pads are included and they're great, I bought aftermarket gel cups for my Howard Leights too. I've got a huge head and never had a problem with ball caps though now that I think about it I'm not sure any of my hats have that button.

A comparison as long as we're talking about it: After that gel cup upgrade honestly the Sordin and Howards are pretty comparable in comfort and noise reduction though the Sordins do have an edge in both. The biggest difference is I've had two Howard Leights Impact Sports with electronic issues. One just crapped out and corroded at the battery terminal using lithium Energizers that didn't leak as far as I could tell, I think it's just that the battery cover let in some rain? The second pair will periodically have like a scrambled sound in the background ever since new.

ElPollo

WKR

I started using a pair of these for bird hunting and trap shooting about 4 years ago and now use them for all my hunting. I went to an audiologist and got them for 50% of the list price on the web. They've been worth every penny for me. These are super convenient because you don't have to deal with muffs getting in the way. They also help bring up the volume on sound while capping everything over about 90dB. When I wear them I can actually hear quail calling further off than without and I can hear my dogs moving through thick cover. I have some hearing loss and tinnitus from being stupid. I'm trying hard to not make things worse. When I was young, I figured it would eventually go away. It doesn't. You just get used to it and it just gets worse over time. I hear the wee Mariachi band in my left ear all the time now and have noticable high frequency hearing loss.

That said, the SoundGear plugs would not be my choice for regular use of a breaked magnum rifle (I don't own one). There are other muff options that will have greater decibel ratings. I always recommend checking the dB ratings for hearing protection and using the best stuff you can get. Honestly though, the blast from breaked guns can cause hearing loss just via the shockwaves moving through your facial bones. I won't own a gun that I need to use a break for. I currently don't own a suppressor, but I've started looking into it.

Eye protection is another story. I'll admit that as an eyeglass wearer, I've likely always been under protected. They options for us are generally expensive prescription options that may or may not actually work with our prescription or some kind of fit-over option that just sucks to wear. I tried putting a set of prescription lenses in a Wiley-X frame a few years ago. I could see better out of the uncomfortable fit-overs. I still mostly just wear my regular prescription glasses for this.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
@ElPollo - thanks. Sounds (pun intended) like we are in similar situations. I've had tinnitus in both ears for longer than I can remember, and I'm confident that it was my fault. I've also had some hearing loss, so I'm doing whatever I can to minimize further loss. I thought about the in-the-ear products, but reluctantly decided to stick with the muffs to help protect the bones in the inner ear. And I will probably now never buy or shoot a breaked rifle, at least unsuppressed.

Agree on the NRR and other ratings, but to keep things complicated, I've heard from a couple people that you can't just look at the NRR, as it is "more complicated". So that the Sordins with an NRR of 19 might actually be better than something else that has a higher NRR. On that point, I found this https://trevoronthetrigger.wordpres...me-performance-the-misleading-nrr18db-rating/.

And more on the complications - the neckband looked more comfortable, but the NRR is 2 lower than the regular head band option.....

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Update -
  1. For eye pro:
    • I'm getting a handful of low-priced ($3) clear and amber Pyramex safety glasses to have in each bag to combat increasing forgetfulness and in case a buddy needs some, plus the 5 lens DU shooting eyewear kit ($20).
    • I'm pretty set on Smith Elites and am just trying to figure out which among the Frontman, Operator's Choice and Gray Man Elites will fit my giant head.
  2. For ear pro - I ended up buying from SRS Tactical the Sordin Supreme Pro-X with the gels with the neckband. Came close to getting the new Peltor ComTac V, but they are significantly more, and have only a 1 year warranty vs. 5 for Sordin. Can't wait to get and try them out.

Last edited:

ElPollo

WKR
Fwafwow (great name)--Tried to read that article. I'm convinced that if you get ear pro that are comfortable and minimally annoying and you use them, you are ahead of the game. The sad part is most don't realize they need to be in the game until the mariachi band starts to play. Once it starts, it never really stops. I will never intentionally shoot another firearm without ear pro.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Fwafwow (great name)--Tried to read that article. I'm convinced that if you get ear pro that are comfortable and minimally annoying and you use them, you are ahead of the game. The sad part is most don't realize they need to be in the game until the mariachi band starts to play. Once it starts, it never really stops. I will never intentionally shoot another firearm without ear pro.
Thx - the origin is a long story! Yours is great and reminded me of a favorite restaurant - el Pollo Campero!

For eye pro I use Gargoyles Classic. I’ve been wearing them since they first came out in the 80s. They meet or exceed the ANSI standards for safety glasses. Their website has a $40 off offer right now. They also have other styles besides the Classic.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Thanks folks. Still waiting on an answer from Smith on a question I submitted on 12/8. Last time I sent them a question they answered - a month later.