Eye damage from glassing?

43.6N

FNG
Re posting in gen forum.

Hey everyone, there is a very clear association between UV light exposure and cataract formation (see UpToDate and pubmed for some light reading).
My question is that since my binoculars are quite literally capturing and concentrating full spectrum light and sending it straight into my eyes is there an increased risk of cataract formation with prolonged optic use?

I know that companies will market multicoatings, but cursory research has shown that these are primarily to 1. Enhance coloration and contrast, and 2. To enhance prism internal reflection.

I have not found a single example of a company stating that their product blocks UV a/b, like you will see on eyeglass marketing.

-Are my long glassing sessions doing permanent damage to my eyes?

rclouse79

WKR
According to the conceptual physics book we use, glass is opaque to infrared and ultraviolet and transparent to visible light. Avoid looking straight into the sun and I would guess you will be alright.

OP
43.6N

43.6N

FNG
According to the conceptual physics book we use, glass is opaque to infrared and ultraviolet and transparent to visible light. Avoid looking straight into the sun and I would guess you will be alright.
Outstanding! That absolutely answers my question!

Eye doctor who does cataract surgery here. Agree w above. Don’t look at the sun. I like to glass w my glasses on which are frequently sunglasses, but I know many don’t like doing that. You can wear sunglasses when outside in general and that can help slow cataract formation. In theory, a diet rich in anti-oxidants can help as well.

Otherwise, I tell my patients that if you live long enough, you will need cataract surgery. So I tell them to go ahead and use their eyes. My oldest pt was 97. Most get cataracts out in between 60-80, but I’ve done a lot of surgery on folks in their 50s. Some day we will probably have a non surgical intervention to treat cataracts but we are still a ways off.

Scottiem

Lil-Rokslider
I just spent this past season deer hunting for the first time. Spent all day behind glass. Around day 5 I found my right contact to be blurry. Figured no biggie, just toss it & put in a fresh one. Still blurry. I've had the same prescription in both eyes for years. After the hunt I went to the eye doctor and found out I had astigmatism in my right eye. Now I don't think it was UV that did it, but I think being right eye dominant and keeping that eye open with wind in my face didn't help. For now on I'll be taking more breaks and bringing sunglasses with me.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

JRMiller

WKR
Slightly different topic but just wanted to mention that without wearing good uv protected sunglasses in certain situations for extended periods you can sunburn your eyes.
I was at lake powell a fews years ago and after five days on the water with zero cloud cover i had to go to the ER cause my eyes were blood red blurry and hurt. When doc told me i sunburned my eyes i thought he was joking.
No joke.

IDLassie

FNG
I was a fire lookout for 40 seasons. I've used binoculars more in one day than you'll use all of a hunting season.
No problems. More problems from the sun without sunglasses and old age.

CorbLand

WKR
This thread reminds me of the one the guy started about eating a vegetarian diet a month before hunting season so you didn't smell like a predator.

To which I will give a similar response. The day that I am too worried about giving myself cataracts from glassing to much, is the day I will leave my spotting scope, binoculars and tripod on the mountain and never return.