EZ V Bow Sight

XRoss93

FNG
I’ve recently been watching a lot of the Ranch Fairy’s YouTube channel and I noticed that he’s using the EZ V.

It seems simple enough and I’m attracted to it due to its simplicity. Compared to my single pin Spott Hog it seems way less complicated and if everything he says about it is true, it suited my style of hunting way better.

All that said, what have others experiences been with it, and would it be good for someone who never shoots past 60 yards (hunting, static range, and 3D) and is looking for a simple and effective setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
I shot it for half a season. Made a really bad shot on a quartering away antelope and stopped using it. I think your shots almost have to be broadside in order for it to work properly. I found that I was constantly adjusting it at the range as well. The way the axis's work is very rudimentary and hard to level. You have to remember that Ranch Fairy shoots very close targets. DIY Hunter uses it very successfully as well. I think it would probably work fairly well for hunting out of a tree stand or a blind where shots are quick and close. However trying to shoot spots with it is almost impossible. So I would reccomend only making the switch for hunting. I had no fun at all going to the range with friends and attempting to shoot targets. I did run through a 3D course with it, and found that it was fairly effective at hitting inside a paper plate out to around 40. I think the solution to that kind of sight system is going to the Garmin Xero.

LostArra

WKR
I went from a three pin sight to the EZ V for a trial run on 3d targets only for a while. It just didn't work for me. For it's fans it is simple, for me there was too much mental gymnastics to ever try it on an animal. I picked up a used bow with a single pin slider and love it. (the slider rarely moves except elk hunting).

Stalker69

WKR
The ranch fairy is a joke, he got kicked off the sight in like a couple days of being on here. He hunts really close to his feeders. And 20 yards and under are most likely all he shoots with it. I found it ok at 20 but at 35 or 40 no way was I accurate enough to consider hunting with it. With a single pin sight( or multi) rabbits are generally no problem up to 40 yards. With that sight it was less then 50/50 chance I would kill it. Same thing on targets messing around, chew cans, hats , bottle lids. They were pretty safe when I used that sight. With a pin type sight my confidence is a chew can is very much in trouble now. I never had the confidence to hunt with it as many of my shots are beyond 20 yards. I spot and stalk only, so the yardages very a lot and I just could not get the confidence I needed with it.

Zac

WKR
The ranch fairy is a joke, he got kicked off the sight in like a couple days of being on here. He hunts really close to his feeders. And 20 yards and under are most likely all he shoots with it. I found it ok at 20 but at 35 or 40 no way was I accurate enough to consider hunting with it. With a single pin sight( or multi) rabbits are generally no problem up to 40 yards. With that sight it was less then 50/50 chance I would kill it. Same thing on targets messing around, chew cans, hats , bottle lids. They were pretty safe when I used that sight. With a pin type sight my confidence is a chew can is very much in trouble now. I never had the confidence to hunt with it as many of my shots are beyond 20 yards. I spot and stalk only, so the yardages very a lot and I just could not get the confidence I needed with it.
I don't think the Ranch Fairy was ever booted from here. Ranch Fairy is very direct and open about what he believes. I do think it is a good idea to take trajectory into account before one dives down the Fairy hole. Yet lately he has been reccomending builds in the mid 500s, so I do not think he is as extreme as he's made out to be. I think in general we need more of his mindset than the two inch mechanicals driven by Carbon Express shafts ideology.

Might be he realized what he was doing didn't work, came back to the practical realm.

I couldn't stand to watch any of his stuff, no idea what he puts out now. Might be he isn't as big of an idiot as he seems, just a means of selling himself. I cringe when someone brings him up anymore. Few years ago the stuff he promoted was just terrible, unless you were shooting stuff at a feeder within 20 yards.

LostArra

WKR
Ranch Fairy's shtick is more than a little annoying but shooting 500 gr+ arrows has been sound advice for me on elk, hogs and deer for many reasons. Shooting recurve and slow compound, shots under 45 yards. If I can't get within 45 yards of those animals then I need to up my hunting skills not extend my range.

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve watched the fairy stuff for a good while and I can see how his character puts soem people off, but he has always talked about getting above 500. He always acknowledged that the 750 grain stuff he shoots at pigs is on the extreme end. But the principles at play still work for the average guy and it’s not a bad thing to aim for a 500-600 grain arrow. He seems to really get some bad press around here. But as long as I can remember he’s put the disclaimer on his stuff that you don’t need 750 to kill a whitetail, but going up on weight and avoiding the quest for the fastest arrow possible is a good way to go.

Reactions: Zac

Gumbo

WKR
I seem to remember him being booted...I was glad. The Fairy and that sight are both trainwrecks. If you are going to go that route you might as well shoot a recurve.

Zac

WKR
Might be he realized what he was doing didn't work, came back to the practical realm.

I couldn't stand to watch any of his stuff, no idea what he puts out now. Might be he isn't as big of an idiot as he seems, just a means of selling himself. I cringe when someone brings him up anymore. Few years ago the stuff he promoted was just terrible, unless you were shooting stuff at a feeder within 20 yards.
That's my point with Ranch Fairy. He shoots pigs at approximately 20 yards. His system and methedology for those circumstances is spot on. People have to take that into context. I don't think he ever has made claims, or tried to give advice for western guys. Overall I think he is good for the industry due to the emphasis he puts on tuning, and sharpening broadheads. I also think Jon Dudley is overall a positive for the industry even though he uses Nocturnals and Rage, both of which I consider pure garbage.

That's my point with Ranch Fairy. He shoots pigs at approximately 20 yards. His system and methedology for those circumstances is spot on. People have to take that into context. I don't think he ever has made claims, or tried to give advice for western guys. Overall I think he is good for the industry due to the emphasis he puts on tuning, and sharpening broadheads. I also think Jon Dudley is overall a positive for the industry even though he uses Nocturnals and Rage, both of which I consider pure garbage.

One of the biggest problems I have with RF is the personality he has in his videos. I doubt he is actually like that, honestly if we were in a camp to where we could carry on a conversation with each other might be we would get along. However to watch his stuff it annoys the piss out of me, I also don't think it's a good look overall for archers.

Then it seems like whenever I'm at the shop someone is coming in wanting 100 grain inserts and 200 grain broadheads, because they want more penetration, or they think it's going to do something magical. Problem is they don't even have a clue about tuning a bow, just saw something and they think it's going to fix everything. All kinds of hype has been created over high or extreme foc, it's pretty low on the list for things that matter. Guess that's my personal opinion, I have played with it a fair amount. Other things are more important, just try to stay at 10 or above.

Zac

WKR
One of the biggest problems I have with RF is the personality he has in his videos. I doubt he is actually like that, honestly if we were in a camp to where we could carry on a conversation with each other might be we would get along. However to watch his stuff it annoys the piss out of me, I also don't think it's a good look overall for archers.

Then it seems like whenever I'm at the shop someone is coming in wanting 100 grain inserts and 200 grain broadheads, because they want more penetration, or they think it's going to do something magical. Problem is they don't even have a clue about tuning a bow, just saw something and they think it's going to fix everything. All kinds of hype has been created over high or extreme foc, it's pretty low on the list for things that matter. Guess that's my personal opinion, I have played with it a fair amount. Other things are more important, just try to stay at 10 or above.
RF's personality is going to end up appealing to some, while turning off others. For what it's worth the people that know him say it's not an act. If you watch his interactions with The Hunting Public he comes across as a very genuine person. He is trying to help in his own way. As I said before he pertains to a distinct nitch. Mostly tree stand feeding setups. I think as archers we should support a channel that encourages fixed blades, bare shaft tuning, and arrow weights over 500. These are all positive attributes in my opinion. I think the community should promote those principals, even if his personality is a bit grinding. This is the same reason I like Bowmar. All of his tuning videos, and arrow building videos are legit, even though he can be a bit of a goof.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I primarily treestand hunt and don’t have any use for his uber heavy arrow setup or uber arrow tuning techniques. Experience has proven to me that neither is needed for accuracy or penetration.

Zac

WKR
I primarily treestand hunt and don’t have any use for his uber heavy arrow setup or uber arrow tuning techniques. Experience has proven to me that neither is needed for accuracy or penetration.
Your calling bareshaft tuning extreme?

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Fletched, paper tune.
Presume your tuning with a broadhead then on the end of the bow? IF not how much rest movement are you having to do to get your broadheads to tune with your field points? Or are you yoke tuning/shimming cams to get ride of the tears?

Curious is all as many people do this all differently but end up with the same results in the end.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Presume your tuning with a broadhead then on the end of the bow? IF not how much rest movement are you having to do to get your broadheads to tune with your field points? Or are you yoke tuning/shimming cams to get ride of the tears?

Curious is all as many people do this all differently but end up with the same results in the end.

I tune with field points. Once my bow is tuned, I’ve never had to move my rest to get my broadheads to hit with my field points.