F150 Truck Tire Recommendations

NDGuy

WKR
I currently have Firestone Destination X tires and they are the biggest waste of money I have put on my truck. Haven't lasted 3 years and horrific on snow and ice.

Been looking hard at the Falken Wildpeak ATs and am definitely leaning that way for the price and reviews. Any other recommendations on sub $1000 set of tires? My truck is my daily driver for now so I am staying away from dedicated off-road tires.

Cooper Tires - ST. MAXX.

I have used the Cooper AT3's and really have liked them but my next pair is going to be the ST. Maxx. A buddy had them on his truck last fall and I was really impressed by their performance. Make sure and get the 10 ply tires.

LostArra

WKR
Cooper Tires - ST. MAXX.

I have used the Cooper AT3's and really have liked them but my next pair is going to be the ST. Maxx. A buddy had them on his truck last fall and I was really impressed by their performance. Make sure and get the 10 ply tires.

Do you find 10 ply tires to be a rougher ride when not pulling a heavy trailer or carrying a big load?

With today's tire technology I'm wondering if 10 ply is necessary unless you have a specific daily need like a truck camper.

fmyth

WKR
Do you find 10 ply tires to be a rougher ride when not pulling a heavy trailer or carrying a big load?

With today's tire technology I'm wondering if 10 ply is necessary unless you have a specific daily need like a truck camper.
The 10ply are tougher. Less prone to getting a flat from a sharp rock and less likely to tear a sidewall.

I’ll second what the others say about 10-ply or Load Range E Tire’s. You can always run the air pressure you need for comfort. I’ve been getting ~50K on Coopers since I switched from BFG about 3-sets ago. The Coopers are definitely made in USA if that’s important to you. I’ve seen US and Chinese made Nittos before, you have to check the sidewall.

there is a way to determine optimum tire air pressure for your tires called the “chalk test”. You can do a search on YouTube for the details.

bertha

FNG
Nitto Ridge Grapplers
o.png

TSAMP

WKR
I run BFG KO2 tires. They certainly arent in the sub 1k price range. Want to say 1500. They are heavy tires and i lost about 3 mpg with them. I did size up to a larger diameter though. Performance has been good, which is what you expect with a BFG.

BigDog00

WKR
I've got the wildpeak on a sierra and have been very happy with them. I had another set on an older truck but only got about 3,000 on them before trading it in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I currently have Firestone Destination X tires and they are the biggest waste of money I have put on my truck. Haven't lasted 3 years and horrific on snow and ice.

Been looking hard at the Falken Wildpeak ATs and am definitely leaning that way for the price and reviews. Any other recommendations on sub $1000 set of tires? My truck is my daily driver for now so I am staying away from dedicated off-road tires.

I'm running the wildpeak on my 05 Tundra in a 10 ply and they are great.

264win

WKR
My favorite truck tires are dura tracks. But I have had and liked bfg ko2s and Nitto ridge grapplers as well.
IMHO, with good quality rubber, there is no need to run a 10 ply on a half ton. On a big diesel that weighs 9k empty sure, but On an f150 that will Just equate to more cost, less mpg and yes, a rougher ride. I have run 8 ply on my ram 2500 (gasser) for several years and won’t go back to 10 ply.

MThuntr

WKR
Anyone have experience with Falkens?
I can't say I've seen many locally but they seem like a decent tire.

For some reason Nitto Ridge Grapplers are very popular lately. I put a set on my truck since it has 20" rims so it was either replace the wheels, run terrible thin tires, or Nitto 10ply AT. I played the instant rebate/flash sale with Discount Tire and got them mounted/balanced for $750 which was about $400 less than the local shop. I so wanted to shop local but they couldn't even come close to the price. I'm pretty happy with them after about 10k mileage so far. Yes you will lose 2mpg by going to 10ply. 8 is probably a smoother ride. Talk to your guys about sidewall construction/protection as that's where I've had more punctures. Honestly I drove 28K on a set of Hankook 6ply tires. Just pay attention to where you're at and how you drive.