F150 Truck Tire Recommendations

I love my duratracs in my 2500. I had Dynapro's on my 4runner and Frontier but I don't like how they handle corners on pavement on a heavier truck. The Duratracs have gotten me planty if places I did not belong. Interested to see how they do in the bentonite for my long pronghorn trip coming up in October.

Worried about the mud...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
I normally buy Cooper AT3 10 ply's for my hunting trucks but my Chevy came with Duratracs and I left them on. They did great in Idaho mud and all over Colorado last year after a heavy snow storm. I70 was a sheet of ice on the passes coming home. It was awful and they were solid.

The only question I have is how many miles I will be able to get out of them but I am glad a didn't switch them out when I got my truck. They have been a great tire.

Buy once-cry once. Toyo Open Country AT Xtreme. 50,000 mile warranty, solid offroad paws and almost silent on the highway.

IMG_1358.JPG

sneaky

"DADDY"
Interesting...I have not had any issues with them. What happened to yours?
To be clear, I dont know if I have ever had a truly poor experience with any all terrain type tire Ive owned other than some wore faster than others but were better in bad conditions, some were noisy on the road etc but nothing that ever made me take a set off before they wore out.
10 ply Duratracs I had, multiple flats and wouldn't stay balanced. Got tired of dealing with them. Lots of guys love 'em, I'm just not in that camp. I've never had an issue with my ST Maxx, other than dropping fuel mileage but that's going to happen with any heavier duty type tire setup.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I normally buy Cooper AT3 10 ply's for my hunting trucks but my Chevy came with Duratracs and I left them on. They did great in Idaho mud and all over Colorado last year after a heavy snow storm. I70 was a sheet of ice on the passes coming home. It was awful and they were solid.

The only question I have is how many miles I will be able to get out of them but I am glad a didn't switch them out when I got my truck. They have been a great tire.
This just illustrates the different results people can have. After flats and balance issues with my DuraTracs the straw that broke the camel's back was how poor the set I had did in snow and ice. I remember sitting in wreck traffic coming down a pass in Utah and sliding... while stopped, til I got over on the rumble strips to finally get traction. The only set of tires I've ever had that happen with.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I spent a decade on the road working for a contractor and put about 50k miles a year on F150s. Two of my least favorite tires have been mentioned here a bit. Good year duratracs just felt loose and unstable at highway speeds to me and they were loud. BFG A/T KO2 10 ply is what I have on my current F150. They were surprisingly quiet at first but got loud once worn a bit. They hydroplane way too easy and are lousy on wet/icy surfaces. That said, i'm at about 35k on em and there is a bunch of tread left.

I'll probably end up with Wild peak or Cooper AT3 or ST maxx for my next tires.

I currently have Firestone Destination X tires and they are the biggest waste of money I have put on my truck. Haven't lasted 3 years and horrific on snow and ice.

Been looking hard at the Falken Wildpeak ATs and am definitely leaning that way for the price and reviews. Any other recommendations on sub $1000 set of tires? My truck is my daily driver for now so I am staying away from dedicated off-road tires.
Falken wildpeak at3s were great on my last f150. Quiet and deepest tread of any all terrain I believe.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Aside from the Toyo M55, every other Toyo I’ve owned has sucked. The M55s sucked in the snow.

The Goodyear Duratracs I had were a little loud on the pavement, but awesome as long as you can tolerate rocks cutting the sidewalls.

I was going to go with the Cooper ST Maxx, but one of my trusted buds has had multiple sets and switched to the Falken Wildpeaks and recommended them over the Maxx. I’m very happy with one fall, one winter and one spring on a set of the Falken Wildpeaks. I’m going to put them on all of our trucks as other tires (Coopers and BF Goodrich) wear out.

Ursus1975

FNG
Toyo Open Country AT3's 10 ply, I ran the Ridge Grapplers last 2 years and I just didn't like them. To be fair I never got stuck or couldn't climb up somewhere but I always had to use 4x4 even in wet grass. To me the pattern is to close together. They rode good and I put right at 50,000 mile on them. The Toyo's for me have more traction for an All Terrain tire and super smooth ride. good luck

I spent a decade on the road working for a contractor and put about 50k miles a year on F150s. Two of my least favorite tires have been mentioned here a bit. Good year duratracs just felt loose and unstable at highway speeds to me and they were loud. BFG A/T KO2 10 ply is what I have on my current F150. They were surprisingly quiet at first but got loud once worn a bit. They hydroplane way too easy and are lousy on wet/icy surfaces. That said, i'm at about 35k on em and there is a bunch of tread left.

I'll probably end up with Wild peak or Cooper AT3 or ST maxx for my next tires.

I agree about the KO2s they were great at first then had hydroplane issues. Only tire I have ever had that issue with. Switched to Nitto and never looked back

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
Just out of curiosity what does everyone use their truck for? I’m just a farmer and maybe the gravel and off road use sways my opinion. I drive 2 hwy miles daily and a hundred off hwy

Mosby

WKR
Just out of curiosity what does everyone use their truck for? I’m just a farmer and maybe the gravel and off road use sways my opinion. I drive 2 hwy miles daily and a hundred off hwy
My truck is primarily a hunting vehicle. I drive it as little as possible out of season but drive the snot out of it across multiple states in the spring and fall. It spends a lot of time on both highways and off road trails during hunting seasons.

My truck takes a hard offroad beating every year between June and Nov. Then I drop it at the body shop cuz the fender flares are busted, the bumpers are handing low at strange angles and the pinstripes from busting brush are everywhere. I take my Ram places it has no business going. Surprised I haven't flipped it yet. From the Eastern Sierras (trout opener) to the monsoonal mud in AZ to the Rockies in Fall and Utah in November snow...it always gets me home.

Snowcrest6

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a set of Kenati Trail Hogs from simpletire.com. SUPER impressed with these tires. Even though they have a heavy lug, the road noise is barely noticeable, they actually ride better than my old firestone at’s, and they were reasonably priced.

and as a shout out to simple tire....ordered them on a friday night, free shipping, and they were on my doorstep on Monday.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Falken wildpeak at3s were great on my last f150. Quiet and deepest tread of any all terrain I believe.
I’m very happy with one fall, one winter and one spring on a set of the Falken Wildpeaks. I’m going to put them on all of our trucks as other tires (Coopers and BF Goodrich) wear out.
Falken Wildpeak AT's
Reviews speak for themselves. I've had 2 sets and they were great!
What kind of tread life did you guys get on them? That's the only iffy thing I have read about them. I don't want to put 30-40k tread tires on my truck.

fatlander

WKR
What kind of tread life did you guys get on them? That's the only iffy thing I have read about them. I don't want to put 30-40k tread tires on my truck.

I’ve got 40k miles on a set that looks damn near brand new. That’s on a 4 door Tacoma though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had them on there for about 30-35 before I sold the truck. They had lots of tread left. I can't imagine I wouldn't have gotten 50k out of them but I'm very light on the pedal anymore.
I've seen Duratraks have been suggested on here. Another very very good choice. We run them on our 3/4 ton Silverados at work. Trucks weigh around 10k. They hold up great for how we abuse them. I'm sure they have better life than the falkens on a half ton, they only last 25-30k on our trucks but that's to be expected on that heavy of a truck and what we do with them.

Reactions: ZDR

goosedog

FNG
Toyo AT2 EXTREME 10ply or DURATRACS 10ply worn out both sets on f150s over the years both solid tires my favorite has been the toyo AT2

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
My local tire guy doesn't carry Falken's but does carry Sumitomo Encounter ATs and said they are pretty much identical to the Wildpeaks as Sumitomo makes both brands. Anyone had experience with those?