Fabric vs metal eyelets??

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at Lowa, Scarpa, Hanwag, and other serious mountain boots for backpack hunting. Alot of the mountaineering boots that interest me use fabric (cordura or nylon) or leather instead of the standard metal lace eyelets. This includes the kuiu Rebel K, Hanwag Makra, and others.

My gut tells me don't spend $400 on something that has an obvious failure point but I don't know for sure that the fabric eyelets won't work just fine. Interested in feedback from more experienced hunters that have used these types of eyelets. Is it a legitimate concern or am I overthinking it? Thanks!

muddydogs

WKR
Your overthinking it. Fabric eyelets hold up just fine if anything they can be a little bit of a pain to tighten up the laces as the lace doesn't slide as well through the fabric eyelet as they do metal.

OP
Ag111

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback. I was reading the reviews of the Kuiu Rebel K and there were a couple comments about the leather eyelets tearing.

Any other first hand experiences?

I agree with muddydogs, just because they are metal, doesn't mean they are better. I previously had a pair of Hanwag Alaskans and had 2 or 3 of the metal eyes on one boot pull out of the leather through use, PITA!

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
On one of the recent Hunt Backcountry podcasts they had a boot designer on that briefly talked about this. I *believe* he said they used fabric to help reduce weight and keep from adding more material. He said that when adding metal eyelets you have to add much more padding and layers around them. Don’t quote me as I may have gotten something off, but I think that was the gist of it.

I’ve used the hell out of synthetic fabric version in La Sportiva Trangos forever and haven’t had an issue. This is with mountaineering, bushwhacking, glacier travel, everything.

The only eyelets I had issues with were on the Trango Cubes... they are plastic and it pulled right out one time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
My buddy LBES runs a pair of Danners to failure every season due to the fabric eyelets. He considers his early season boots disposable and they fit his foot so well he just buys new literally every season. He’s been in contact with Danner and they were receptive to his input and feedback, but the design remains the same. That said, the model he’s running is abot $150 iirc which makes it a bit more palatable.

OP
Ag111

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
It is probably manufacturer dependent to some degree. I don't think that LaSportiva and Scarpa would still be making fabric and leather eyelets if it was a common failure point. They just look flimsy to me, especially on a $400 boot.

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
I had a pair of keen hiking boots that I really liked.....for one season. The rocky terrain I was scouting and hunting in tore apart the fabric lace eyelets. REI returned my money no questions asked.

BluMtn

WKR
I have had boots with fabric eyelets and most have pulled through the eyelet after a couple hundred miles. I am currently running the Hanwags and have about 500 miles on both pairs and the ball eyelets have worked very well at tightening the boots and keeping them tight. I like the Hanwags also because you can tighten the bottoms and lock the laces and then run the tops a different tension.

OP
Ag111

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
I have had boots with fabric eyelets and most have pulled through the eyelet after a couple hundred miles. I am currently running the Hanwags and have about 500 miles on both pairs and the ball eyelets have worked very well at tightening the boots and keeping them tight. I like the Hanwags also because you can tighten the bottoms and lock the laces and then run the tops a different tension.

Which Hanwags are you running? I tired on the Makras and LOVED them... Just wished they were a little higher around the ankle (and had metal eyelets)

BluMtn

WKR
I main boots are the Tatra Top GTX and my other pair are the Alaska's. I have never gotten a blister or hot spot in them. Fit me like a glove.

LBES

FNG
My buddy LBES runs a pair of Danners to failure every season due to the fabric eyelets. He considers his early season boots disposable and they fit his foot so well he just buys new literally every season. He’s been in contact with Danner and they were receptive to his input and feedback, but the design remains the same. That said, the model he’s running is abot $150 iirc which makes it a bit more palatable.

Actually, I reached out to Danner this spring and they said a design change was in process. The specific boot is the Danner High Ground. I've not seen the style yet, but my annual boot purchase is this month! The boot absolutely performs for my foot and what I want as far as flexibility and support, less the nylon loops. That said, if you're not bushwhacking then the nylon loops will hold up for a while...

chindits

WKR
My experience is that fabric will eventually fail.
97D7FE06-BC31-4FCA-97C9-0A0BFEF50FAB.jpeg9FDC7885-B9B8-4EA3-BBC3-08EB42A6A5CC.jpeg97D7FE06-BC31-4FCA-97C9-0A0BFEF50FAB.jpeg

I have some metal islets boots that were issued to me more than 10 years ago that have not failed. I would guess those boots were the lowest bidder and have covered some ground. 736DE067-D3A2-4201-BE79-04FEE6134659.jpeg