Fact or Fiction Satellite DEWs ?

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
Hmm...
928e0c1ef02ccba0220eaf5ad47f970a.gif

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
However... If there was a state to burn and let grow anew, California could use a fresh start.

(Speaking of ecosystem, not liberals.)

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Fiction, and bad b horror film fiction at that. Slightly more believable than Sharknado and less believable than Dr. Strangelove.

22lr

WKR
DEW from space is not currently a thing. Were still trying to get DEW small enough for ships and airplanes. Putting one in orbit (that had enough power to hit the ground with enough energy to start a fire) would be a massive undertaking. Nobody is going to waste that technology (and risk the US seeing it and then provoking an armed response) by using it to start a forest fire. It would be seen as hostile fire on the US mainland... not a good look for someone like China or Russia.

So even if space based DEW was a thing, its just not something thats going to be wasted on starting a forest fire. My $.02.

GotDraw?

WKR
I sell satellites for a living.
Yes, unusual job.

Couple points:
  1. You can't see a laser beam from the side. The "photo" is a fake.
  2. Any country that MIGHT have a DEW of significant power, built and launched at a cost of $100's of millions or a $billion is NOT going to waste the effort starting a fire when doing so will reveal the capability of their satellite to other countries that MIGHT target that satellite in the future.
Period.

JL