Factory 28

J Dubaya

FNG
CA Traverse in left hand.... only issue is they don't make it in left hand... SMH..

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Just bought a Browning X-Bolt Western Hunter 28 Nosler on a RMEF auction. I have the XBolt Speed in 30 06 and the XBolt Max Long Range in 300 Win Mag and both are awesome. Hope the 28 is as good!

emhowe

FNG
I just bought a savage 110 ultralite with a carbon proof research barrel. Sadly it was supposed to be chambered in .308 on account of I already own .308 ammo and the nosler is running 3-5 bucks a round. I know little about 28 nosler. Looking for info about the cartridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I shot my first elk with one, was a friends gun. As he described it to me was a 7 mm Mag on steroids. I really liked it. It is a bit robust in recoil, a bit less than my 300 Win Mag, but surprised me a bit. The XBolt Western Hunter I have is a good bit lighter then my friends. The muzzle break really helps recoil. My wife said the 28 Nosler had a different less sharp sound when shooting as compared to the 300 Win Mag?

I didn't need it but added to the gun stable. Got it on a RMEF auction. For hunting I now have a 243, 308, 2 - 30 06's, 28 Nosler and 300 Win mag. My safe is full, I'm done...lol. I broke in the barrel with some Hornady 162 ELDX. Found 2 boxes at Cabelas!!!!! Shoots them nice. I'm sending mine off to Pendelton Ammunition to work up a custom load. I did this for my 300 Win Mag (220 grain ELDX). And I buy 10 boxes at a time so I don't worry that no one has any.

Plan on using mine as a longer range mule deer, antelope gun.

EmperorMA

WKR
I shot my first elk with one, was a friends gun. As he described it to me was a 7 mm Mag on steroids. I really liked it. It is a bit robust in recoil, a bit less than my 300 Win Mag, but surprised me a bit. The XBolt Western Hunter I have is a good bit lighter then my friends. The muzzle break really helps recoil. My wife said the 28 Nosler had a different less sharp sound when shooting as compared to the 300 Win Mag?

I didn't need it but added to the gun stable. Got it on a RMEF auction. For hunting I now have a 243, 308, 2 - 30 06's, 28 Nosler and 300 Win mag. My safe is full, I'm done...lol. I broke in the barrel with some Hornady 162 ELDX. Found 2 boxes at Cabelas!!!!! Shoots them nice. I'm sending mine off to Pendelton Ammunition to work up a custom load. I did this for my 300 Win Mag (220 grain ELDX). And I buy 10 boxes at a time so I don't worry that no one has any.

Plan on using mine as a longer range mule deer, antelope gun.
Anything else you can share about your likes/dislikes of the Browning X-Bolt Western Hunter? I am deciding between it, the Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed and Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather MB for my next rifle. It will be in 6.8 Western.

I am thinking of maybe going with some bigger glass than I usually do, perhaps a 50-56mm objective. I think the adjustable cheek piece might be a good thing to have, as I never run anything larger than 42mm.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
I have both the Western Hunter and the Hell's Canyon Speed in 26 and 28 Nosler. Both shoot incredibly well with factory Nosler ammo 140 and 160gr Accubonds. 26 is outfitted with a VX3i 50mm Leupold and the other VX5HD 52mm scope. Great combinations! I put the MCARBO trigger spring in the 26 and have the tigger set at just over 2lbs (very easy install). Will be adding the spring to the 28 and my 30 as well! Nothing to dislike with these....comfortable to shoot, removable muzzle break if that's what you desire, and feels very good in hand. Good Luck!

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone shot the nosler 175gr ablr? If so how did they group and perform on game?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

EmperorMA,

First I have an older Win Model 70 in 243 and it is awesome. I got the Speed 30 06 mounted a Sig Electro sight with matching range finder,did not like the scope. Switched it out with a Bushnell Forge 3x18x50. Shoots 180 grain Fusion, Trophy Bonded Tips, and Hornady ELDXs < 1" MOA. First tried the MCarbo spring got it down to about 3.5 lb. Switched it out with a Timney and now 2 lb! Sweet gun. I put a Beartooth cheek pad on it and perfect fit each time. Took it elk hunting but ended up shooting my friends 28 Nosler. This is now my whitetail rifle.

So next I bought a Max Long Range (built in cheek adjustment) in 300 Win Mag. Put an MCArbo spring in and could not get below 4 lb. Trigger was not as nice as the Speed so put in a Timney, 2 lbs sweet. Sent it off to Pendelton Ammunition to work up a custom load and field verify scope at 750 yards. scope is a Burris Veracity 5x25x50. Ended up with a 220 Grain ELDX, 2795 fps, < 0.5 MOA. Shot a elk this year at 505 yards. Awesome results. This scope is nice, solid feel good glass, returns to zero each time, and spot on for yardage.

Bid on a RMEF raffle and got a 28 Nosler (Special RMEF Model). It does not have the cheek rest but will put on a Beartooth. Was so impressed with the Burris scope put another 5x25x50 on it. So far likes Hornady 162 ELDXs. This will also be sent off to Pendelton to work up a custom load.

I found the Pendelton ammo was no more expensive than alot of the factory ammo and I bought 10 boxes so I set for alot of years!!!!

I own the Win 70 243, Tikka 308, Rem 30 06 and the 3 Brownings. The other guns I gave to my sons I kept the Brownings!!!!!!

I have a Swaro, Bushnell Elite 3200, Leopold 3x9 40 VX2, Sightron II and a Bushnell Forge. I also used a Huskamaw on the 28 Nosler I borrowed to shoot my first elk at 550 yards. Really like the 50 mm scopes and have been impressed with the Burris Veracity. I can afford any scope I want but until the Burris fails I'm sticking with them.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Attachments

• 300 Win Mag.jpg
    300 Win Mag.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 30 06.jpg
    30 06.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 28 Nolser.jpg
    28 Nolser.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 8