Factory 30-06 ammo that is affordable and reliable

Shreik88

FNG
Hey all,

Ive got a 30-06 and have been shooting Barnes Vortex 180 gr bullets. But it is breaking the bank and getting increasingly hard to find in Australia.

I am after recommendations for similar factory ammo, which is reliable and won't break the bank. It will be used to hunt Sambar mostly. Thanks in advance

Try finding ammo in the US! Seriously though, I’ve been happy with hornady ammo and federal trophy copper has killed a few of my deer in the past though I now tend to reload everything I typically hunt with. I was lucky enough to stock up a little before the stuff I use disappeared, If components are more available there than ammo, (which is what happened here first) research load data and figure out what you need and start rolling your own. .30-06 is such an old and common cartridge that there’s a ton of data and options, good luck!

Both my 30 06's shoot Federal Fusion 165 and 180 grain < 1 inch. Shot several deer with them!!!! Best priced ammo I've found. My sons 243 shoots the Federal Power shock < 1 inch. About the same cost. Now finding it may be an issue!!!!!!!!!!

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
My Weatherby MkV ULW shoots the Barnes 180 Grain Vor-TX so well, I haven't really messed with anything else. I have hand loaded the same bullets with good results. Do you load?

OP
S

Shreik88

FNG
Thanks for the suggestions, I don't load as once I'm set up I probably go through one or two boxes of ammo a year so not really worth it.

Wapiti1

WKR
Not knowing what you have available, I'd say Norma Bondstrike, or Evostrike. That will perform very similar to the Barnes ammo from a bullet standpoint.

Sako Super Hammerhead and Arrowhead would also be pretty comparable.

Basically, anything with a bonded bullet, or copper mono if you want something that will mimic the Barnes bullets.

Jeremy

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
Looked at corelokts but want to avoid lead bullets
My experience with Remington Corelokt has been uniformly terrible. They are amazingly inaccurate in the multiple platforms and cartridges I have tried them in, and I have had numerous examples that simply failed to fire despite solid primer strikes in otherwise reliable rifles. I would not carry them in the field if I were given them for free.

OP: If you are trying to avoid lead, then Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets are hard to argue with. In addition to the Barnes factory cartridges, Federal used to sell loaded cartridges with TSX bullets. I don't know if they still do, and I have no idea what is available in your area, but it is worth a look.

OP
S

Shreik88

FNG
My experience with Remington Corelokt has been uniformly terrible. They are amazingly inaccurate in the multiple platforms and cartridges I have tried them in, and I have had numerous examples that simply failed to fire despite solid primer strikes in otherwise reliable rifles. I would not carry them in the field if I were given them for free.

OP: If you are trying to avoid lead, then Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets are hard to argue with. In addition to the Barnes factory cartridges, Federal used to sell loaded cartridges with TSX bullets. I don't know if they still do, and I have no idea what is available in your area, but it is worth a look.
Thanks mate, I have found some federal premium and Sako powerhead ammo that uses the Barnes TSX round. Might be worth grabbing them

JAC8504

Lil-Rokslider
So ammo right now is still slim so, at this point beggars can’t be choosers. I’ve been shooting Hornsby interlocks but I just found some corelocts so we will see which one works better shortly

OP
S

Shreik88

FNG
So ammo right now is still slim so, at this point beggars can’t be choosers. I’ve been shooting Hornsby interlocks but I just found some corelocts so we will see which one works better shortly
Yea, us hunter across the pond just need you Americans to stop buying up all the ammo when a guy with a blue tie gets into the white house 🤣🤣.

On a more serious note, is the shortage just because of covid?

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m not exactly sure what you mean by reliable. Terminal performance or accuracy? Any bullet designed for hunting big game should work just fine at 30-06 velocities. So it all should be terminally reliable. As for accuracy, it all depends completely on what your rifle likes. All guns will show a preference for one bullet/powder/brass over another. Even guns of the same make and model can and will shoot ammo differently. What shoots accurately in one gun means nothing to you. You have to try and verify. And I know, trying different ammo is tough right now. You’ll have to take what you can get.

JAC8504

Lil-Rokslider
Yea, us hunter across the pond just need you Americans to stop buying up all the ammo when a guy with a blue tie gets into the white house 🤣🤣.

The blue guys always claim they won’t do anything but then they’re quick to attempt to do stuff.

being in the industry I can tell you directly it was a perfect storm. The current president + covid + components and not being able to keep up production. Our facility is 24/7 and at capacity and cant keep up with demand.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider

Prior to March of 2020, both guns and ammo were cheap and extremely available. The various COVID shutdowns created a panic. When the grocery store is out of basic items, people here tend to think things are going south, and stocking up on guns and ammo becomes a thing.

Next were the widespread riots in the summer of 2020, combined with the apparent police indifference to them. That made things much worse. Many people who had never owned a gun before went out and bought one (or more), and they needed ammo.

Then there was the November 2020 election, with a great many reported irregularities. That produced more of the same.

Then there were the events of January 2020. Conservative websites and public figures were de-platformed, and a great deal of fear ensued.

Things have been slowly easing over the last few months. I am seeing lots of availability (albeit at somewhat elevated prices) for 9mm, .45 ACP, 5.56, and .308 in FMJ loads. That stuff is in high demand for defensive purposes. I am still not seeing much available in less common chamberings. Gun are plenty available. Ammo is still spotty. I am seeing and hearing reports of people who don't even reload buying components...

Last edited:
OP
S

Shreik88

FNG
Hopefully with the world going back to normal 30-06 ammo becomes more available and cheap. I used to buy Barnes Vor-TX for 50 AUD a box. Now it's 108 AUD if I can find it.

But thanks for suggestions. I will try the federal premium and Sako powerheads that are tipped with the Barnes TSX.

Federal Blue Box 180 gr easily king of affordable and reliable. For that matter any factory 150-180 gr plain janes would fit that category!

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider

My buddy used corelokt in his 30-06 XPR. Multiple FTF with a good primer strike, including missing a shot at an 8 point. He went to federal and no issues since.