Factory 6.5 creed ammo for all around hunting

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
I own a RAP in 6.5 creed. It shoots MOA with every hunting load I've put through it. I want to transition away from the ELD-X precision hunter as it did me dirty at close range (150). What is the best factory ammunition for deer and black bear out to 500 and as close as 20 yards? Would you use one cartridge for black bear, one for whitetail and another for mule deer? Three different rounds for close, mid and long range? Mono metal Barnes? Bergers? ELD-M? I've heard and read all kinds of sponsored opinions. I'm beginning to doubt the claims of "long range performance without sacrificing short range ballistics." What do you all have to say on the subject? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
How'd the ELD-X do you dirty? Interested in that bullet in a different, faster cartridge.

Also, love the pure marketing speak that transcends all sports. Just about every ski made has "plenty of float for the deep days, but still enough grip to carve turns on the way back to the lift."

Bighorse

WKR
sounds like u did the animal dirty sir.....Shoot it in the base of the skull if u dat close, just saying......

OP
Z71&Gun

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
Berger Brand 140 Hybrid Target ammo.
Second time I've heard that today. You have personal experience on game? You getting passthroughs? Guy at the range said no passthroughs but swore by these cartridges. Seemed like a straight shooter.

Last edited:
OP
Z71&Gun

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
sounds like u did the animal dirty sir.....Shoot it in the base of the skull if u dat close, just saying......
You're not wrong. I hesitated to take the head shot at 150 with a broadside shot at the vitals.

OP
Z71&Gun

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
How'd the ELD-X do you dirty? Interested in that bullet in a different, faster cartridge.

Also, love the pure marketing speak that transcends all sports. Just about every ski made has "plenty of float for the deep days, but still enough grip to carve turns on the way back to the lift."
Penciled through at 150. Bear was recovered after a scant blood trail. Went over 1k yards, tracked for over 8 hours with two guys.

svivian

WKR
Im trying to find it but there was some thread that had a video with a variety of kill shots coming out of a 6.5 with ELD-M and ELD-X bullets. If anyone knows what im talking about and could post a link?

mncoolbeans

Lil-Rokslider
I've had great success with the Factory 140gr. Federal Fusions on Whitetail's. Relatively Cheaper Factory load like the cup & core Core-Lokt.

WCB

WKR
I shoot the Federal 140gr Accubonds through my 6.5crd. I have shot Antelope, Mule Deer, Whitetails, and Black Bears with it from 50yards to 460yards.

I have shot the Berger bullets and in no way impressed at all. Inconsistent bullet performance at best...from poking holes to blowing up. Accurate yes...consistant performance....IMO nope

CCooper

WKR
Second time I've heard that today. You have personal experience on game? You getting passthroughs? Guy at the range said no passthroughs but swore by these cartridges. Seemed like a straight shooter.
No personal experience on game. My 6.5 CM did not like Bergers box ammo nearly as well as the Hornady 147 ELDM box ammo which has treated me well on deer at various ranges. The guy at the range described typical Berger performance I have seen with other calibers.

z987k

WKR
Penciled through at 150. Bear was recovered after a scant blood trail. Went over 1k yards, tracked for over 8 hours with two guys.
That's.... odd. The problem with the eldx is it explodes at close range, not pencils.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
If you don’t mind spending more $$$ and want the best consistency, accuracy, and performance check out copper creek ammunition. Get the Barnes LRX or Berger VLD. Both killers out of my 6.5 but I hand load now. I shot the copper creek LRX and killed deer and elk plenty past 500.

z987k

WKR
For factory ammo, I've always been a fan of the Nosler AB and LRAB.
I don't shoot lead at animals anymore, which all but requires handloading to get any good performance, but I'd go with the LRAB over the eldx all day.

I own a RAP in 6.5 creed. It shoots MOA with every hunting load I've put through it. I want to transition away from the ELD-X precision hunter as it did me dirty at close range (150). What is the best factory ammunition for deer and black bear out to 500 and as close as 20 yards? Would you use one cartridge for black bear, one for whitetail and another for mule deer? Three different rounds for close, mid and long range? Mono metal Barnes? Bergers? ELD-M? I've heard and read all kinds of sponsored opinions. I'm beginning to doubt the claims of "long range performance without sacrificing short range ballistics." What do you all have to say on the subject? Thanks in advance.
Federal terminal ascent is a really good bullet (at least point blank to 400yds)