Factory Ammo Hot???

TGLBRH

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up 3 boxes of Barnes 7mm Rem Mag in 140 gr. The advertised speed from the manufacturer is 3100 fps. I chronographed a 5 shot group and averaged 3285 fps with a few of the shots in the 3300 fps range. I've only shot from one box but plan to put some rounds down range out of the other two boxes and compare.

These seem hot to me. Should I be concerned? I have attempted to contact Barnes, but getting anyone to answer the phone or respond is like pulling teeth.

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up 3 boxes of Barnes 7mm Rem Mag in 140 gr. The advertised speed from the manufacturer is 3100 fps. I chronographed a 5 shot group and averaged 3285 fps with a few of the shots in the 3300 fps range. I've only shot from one box but plan to put some rounds down range out of the other two boxes and compare.

These seem hot to me. Should I be concerned? I have attempted to contact Barnes, but getting anyone to answer the phone or respond is like pulling teeth.
What barrel length are you shooting?

Interesting. Is it new manufacture?

Not sure if it is a similar issue but with all the disruption to the ammo supply chain a number of manufacturers have been using sub components that aren’t typical And also turning over a lot of staff. I have seen some inconsistency And quality issue in factory pistol ammo. I am sure the rifle ammo supply chain is similarly impacted.

Recent ammo purchases with three shots to get the average (quick test and no additional testing performed at that time).

308 Win: commercial ELD-X 178 gr shoots 2518 with 2600 published. Federal Terminal Ascent 175 gr (new purchase) is showing 2600. Pretty big difference for only 3 grains.

300 WM: commercial Federal TLR is showing 2950 while published is 2810. That’s a huge delta.

Would love for those velocities to be accurate. Will be hitting the range with “known good” hand-loads, plus this ammo, to see if the velocities are correct or if my chronograph is acting wonky.

OP
TGLBRH

TGLBRH

Lil-Rokslider
Gun is browning x bolt hells canyon with 26" barrel.

Yes the ammo is new manufacturer and the brass they used for all 3 boxes is from Sierra...not Barnes.

sndmn11

WKR

Yes the ammo is new manufacturer and the brass they used for all 3 boxes is from Sierra...not Barnes.

That is probably about right. I see higher velocity in my 24"+brake rifle with Barnes vortex by 100fps-ish. I'm not surprised with what you are getting.

Super tag

WKR
I’m shooting factory Barnes 280 gr LRX, chronographed at 79 FPS faster than the box advertised, surprised me as well but shoots great so I’ll live with it.

Barnes was owned by Remington but was sold to Sierra last year I believe. Its not strange that they are now using Sierra stamped brass.

RMM

WKR
Interesting. Is it new manufacture?

Not sure if it is a similar issue but with all the disruption to the ammo supply chain a number of manufacturers have been using sub components that aren’t typical And also turning over a lot of staff. I have seen some inconsistency And quality issue in factory pistol ammo. I am sure the rifle ammo supply chain is similarly impacted.
Rifle ammo is definitely impacted. Get this, buddy is shooting brand new box of factory 280 Rem. Shoots a few shots, goes to put another shell in the chamber and bolt wont close? Grabs a screwdriver and pops shell out, turns out its a 30.06 shell in his box of 280 Rem

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider

TGLBRH
Get ahold of me I can probably help you out on primers, I don’t live far from you
I’m to new to reply to your primer post

KurtR

WKR
Rifle ammo is definitely impacted. Get this, buddy is shooting brand new box of factory 280 Rem. Shoots a few shots, goes to put another shell in the chamber and bolt wont close? Grabs a screwdriver and pops shell out, turns out its a 30.06 shell in his box of 280 Rem
Had a buddy shooting his 7 mag winchester soft points grey box stuff. Pulled trigger and it sounded really off ejected the brass it was 270 win. Brass expanded and cracked a little and the bullet hit the target side ways. How those 2 get mixed up at the factory is crazy

ColeyG

WKR
My MVs have always been below what the factory publishes, likely due to the 22" barrel vs. 24" barrel they use to test.

Higher than advertised MV by itself isn't a concern, too much pressure is, and there are lots of threads out there about the many signs and symptoms of excessive pressure. Heavy bolt handle and flattened primers being the two most common and easiest to observe.

Most factory rounds aren't loaded to approach the max load and even the max loads from the manuals are stepped down as much as 25% below what data says is dangerous pressure.

WCB

WKR
Published velocities are manufacturing goal posts and normally an average goal post at that. 3100fps out of a 24" barrel probably with a +/- of 50fps. so 3100 could easily be 3150 Add 2" could then be 3200+ Your individual gun could shoot a bit faster than another gun so add a little. Then take possible variance in chrono (distance from muzzle are you shielding etc) blah blah blah.

Look for actual pressure signs and feel of the bolt. Fast velocities does not necessarily mean high/too high of pressure.

Hmm I bought a box of barnes 140gr ttsx last fall/summer also that seems hot. I went to start case preparations because I'm going to start reloading and was looking at the primers they are all flat! 16460052816833724319570252112363.jpg

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
Crazy to me that you are chrono-ing factory ammo. Go buy a reloading press you'll thank me later.... If you can find components.

I would have cronod mine if I had one. It would be nice to know so I know my trajectory. Especially now that I'm shooting then in a 20" Barrel.

KNOPHISH

FNG
I can’t comprehend getting an off caliber shell in a box of factory ammo, QC, what QC? We ain’t got no QC. My 1st thought is an anti gun anti hunter enviro whacko has got a job on the assembly line sabotaging the ammo like the fuggers that put spikes in trees for loggers.