Factory Ammo Question

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
I've been shooting factory 142 grn Barnes tsx's in my 280 Remington for years with good results. I can't find them anymore and don't see them listed on the Barnes website. Looks like I am going to have to switch. Looking at the Hornady precision Eldx's at 150 grains. Gonna pick up a box and see how they shoot. Any other thoughts or ideas for factory loads for my 280? Primarily using for Elk out to 400 yds.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
I partial to Federal offerings...the one I would pick would be the 140gr Trophy Bonded Tip...they also have a 140 gr Trophy Copper.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I use the eld-x in 200 gr for my 300wm. They are bad mamma jammas. However, with one of my other rifles, i shoot exactly what WCB stated. They just work better for that gun.
I've used some barnes before and they are great bullets too. Each one of my rifles likes something different. I just need to keep the 7-08 and 300 and get rid of the rest. lol

OP
Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t know anything about 142 gr. TSX’s. But 140 gr. TTSX’s in 280 are available from Doubletap Ammo.

I miss quoted wasn't the 142's it was the 140's. I'll check Doubletap. Concern was they are no longer listed on the Barnes website and no longer available at Sportsmans warehouse where I normally get them.

Thank you

OP
Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Have you tried the 140 grain TTSX by Barnes?

It is the 140's I'm shooting, was going off memory which at my age is dangerous. Someone else suggested looking at Doubletap, I'll do that. Not listed on Barnes website and Sportman's warehouse doesn't have them. Hopefully, can find them. Taken 5 elk with them and they haven't let me down.

Thanks for the response

Hard to beat a 140 gr. Accubond.

150 gr. Partition - good one too.

It is the 140's I'm shooting, was going off memory which at my age is dangerous. Someone else suggested looking at Doubletap, I'll do that. Not listed on Barnes website and Sportman's warehouse doesn't have them. Hopefully, can find them. Taken 5 elk with them and they haven't let me down.

Thanks for the response
Sportsmans has it. It is the TSX and not the TTSX:

OP
Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider

Tmac

WKR
I miss quoted wasn't the 142's it was the 140's. I'll check Doubletap. Concern was they are no longer listed on the Barnes website and no longer available at Sportsmans warehouse where I normally get them.

Thank you
It’s their own load with the TTSX. I’ve had good luck with their ammo accuracy wise. Good stuff so far.

OP
Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you everyone for the reply's.! Got a couple solid options to look at. Hate to have to change up from a solid round that I know what it does out of my rifle.

EJMK

FNG
I’m a Nosler Accubond fan. Been shooting the 140 gr in my .280ai with great success. I keep trying to decide if I should try something else, but why fix if it’s not broken I guess...