Factory ammo

574mag

FNG
Curious about this as I’ve started reloading and working up loads. My question is, how do round manufacturers come up with the various rounds they market? Just test on a few different guns and see which ones work the best out of all of them? I’m talking about powder/bullet combos and amounts of powder. Remington, hornady,Winchester, those kind of companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ewnrules

FNG
My impression is they develop the loads on various popular bolt action rifles as those are needed for accurate shots when hunting.

Harvey_NW

WKR
From what I've gotten out of podcasts, they have multiple test barrels at the factory with equipment to measure chamber pressures and that's pretty much the most important factor. Whatever is the most consistent for safe pressure and accuracy is what they produce.

From what I've gotten out of podcasts, they have multiple test barrels at the factory with equipment to measure chamber pressures and that's pretty much the most important factor. Whatever is the most consistent for safe pressure and accuracy is what they produce.
This is correct, test barrels mounted to a machine base. If the load passes pressure and accuracy requirements it goes forward.

OP

574mag

FNG
Good to know, I can consider that “itch, scratched” thanks for the reply’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk