Factory Load long range hunting - 500/600 yards

DPReef

FNG
Got a 300 wsm ridgeline and do not reload. I have some property cross canyon shots at 600 yards, what factory ammo would you recommend in various scenarios?

1- Cross canyon ~500 yard shots on deer, axis, rams, and hogs.
2 - Closer shots on Nilgai, planning on a hunt this winter
3 - other scenarios?

Is there a do it all factory load or should i change the load depending on the scenario? I tend to test different ammo to find the most accurate but instead of buying a half dozen boxes to test i'd rather target an ammo and see if it acceptable.

Thanks!

I do not consider 600 yards long range, but I do realize many do. The vast majority, if not all factory hunting ammo is generally more than capable of killing out to 600 yards given an appropriate bullet is used.

140 gr plus factory will perform fine on the deer, axis, rams, and hogs. But for the Nilgai you may want to step up to 180 grain or more. If the conditions are often windy, you may want to use something like the Berger hybrids. Considering it is a ridgeline I wonder if the 215 bergers will fit the mag.

I do not consider 600 yards long range, but I do realize many do. The vast majority, if not all factory hunting ammo is generally more than capable of killing out to 600 yards given an appropriate bullet is used.

140 gr plus factory will perform fine on the deer, axis, rams, and hogs. But for the Nilgai you may want to step up to 180 grain or more. If the conditions are often windy, you may want to use something like the Berger hybrids. Considering it is a ridgeline I wonder if the 215 bergers will fit the mag.

Who makes factory Berger 215s?

I’d start with Berger 185 classic hunter (Berger munitions, not federal loading the same bullet) and Hornady precision hunter 200s for everything but nilgai.

Nosler with Accubonds or a mono option for nilgai.

tdhanses

WKR
If you don’t reload I’d work with unknown munitions and get a load dialed to your rifle. Problem with factory is you never know if it’ll really perform well and may have to test numerous options costing a lot of money when You could just send your rifle off and get a load developed for it.

I’ve found Barnes LRX factory ammo to be fantastic, both for accuracy and performance. It’s what I use out of my Fieldcraft on Sheep/Caribou here in Alaska.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
Federal 165gr or 180gr Trophy Bonded Tips, which ever shoots best out of your firearm.... Yes to any animals in N.A. either grain weight.

Hogyotedeer

Banned
My vote goes to the SST. 90-100 grns. Thats what we use in wife's 243 and my 257 Roberts. Hasn't failed yet. Deer and antilope arn't very tough. If they will work on Western Muleys they'll work on Eastern White Tail.

Laramie

WKR
My vote goes to the SST. 90-100 grns. Thats what we use in wife's 243 and my 257 Roberts. Hasn't failed yet. Deer and antilope arn't very tough. If they will work on Western Muleys they'll work on Eastern White Tail.
Our of a 300WSM? Don't think so.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You can have hand loads made for your rifle which will perform better. Several companies offer this with great results.

But for 600 yards factory ammo is sufficient. Definitely practice and field verify your shots after lots of chronograph work with the factory load you decide on. You’ll need to know your real world velocities after lots of rounds down the tube. I’d also recommend bulk buying out of the same lot number once you find a factory load you like.

Laramie

WKR
Apologies for the typo. 90 or 100 grains in a 300WSM is way too small. 150 grain would be light for caliber and most shoot at least 165 grain+. Nothing wrong with the SST bullets but wouldn't recommend them for the Nilgai. They are a fast expansion bullet designed for lighter skinned game.

I'd just run one bullet. Way too much of a hassle to change ammo for various critters.

Nilgai are unlike most animals. Since your max range is somewhat limited, your options are sizable. Look at Nosler Accubond/Partitions, Hornady GMX, and Barnes LRX/TTSX.

If Nilgai were off the table, then I'd look at ELD-X.

Zdub02

WKR
I’ve had the best luck with federal premium factory loads with nosler ballistic tips. Have heard through the grapevine that fusion puts out some decently consistent loads

msstate56

Lil-Rokslider
Hornady Precision Hunter 200 ELD-X. Don’t spend a bunch of time chasing loads. Just buy these and go shoot. I’ve yet to shoot a rifle that doesn’t shoot Precision Hunter loads into 0.5 MOA or better.

Wrench

WKR
At 600, anything will do. Just pick one you can afford several hundred of and start shooting. A 300 is a lot of snort at 600.

I was in the same boat last year with my new X-Bolt in 300WSM. I shot a bunch of factory loads last summer trying to figure out the best option for Mule Deer out to 600yds. There were 2 loads that consistantly stood out and made the trip with me to Montana last fall.
  1. Barnes 165g TTSX-BT (these were the most consistant and best grouping at longer distances)
  2. Choice Ammo's Hornady 178g ELD-X
The balistics on both of these are where I wanted to be.

On a side note I was shooting well out to 550 and getting more confident in making calls on windage and elevation. Went hunting and shot my buck at 80 yards:LOL:. My buddy did take a nice buck with my rifle quartering a little bit to at 330 yds with a hard cross wind and the Barnes performed flawlessly! He wasnt comfortable shooting his 300WM in those conditions because he had a fixed turret scope.

Good Luck with whatever you find...