Factory long range rifle suggestions

IDShane

WKR
Hi guys,
I am pretty new to Rokslide but thought I would send out a question to you guys. My son's friend wants to purchase a rifle to get into some long range shooting with my son and I . He is probably in the sub $1000 range for the rifle any suggestions?
Shane

Tikka or Bergara or even a used Ruger Precision. I would say any sporter Tikka should shoot fine and can be upgraded as his needs increase. Same with the Bergara. Main thing is to direct him to something you would want to buy cheap when he decides its not for him, joking kind of.

Hi guys,
I am pretty new to Rokslide but thought I would send out a question to you guys. My son's friend wants to purchase a rifle to get into some long range shooting with my son and I . He is probably in the sub $1000 range for the rifle any suggestions?
Shane
Just a range gun, or will it be used for hunting as well? Is the $1000 just for the rifle, or rifle and optics?

OP
IDShane

IDShane

WKR
It will be a hunting rifle also. I should have put that in my original post. I think up to $1000 on the rifle only.

kpalu

FNG
I would do the Tikka over the other suggestions and put additional money towards the optic. There is pretty good aftermarket support for the tikkas as well so down the road they could upgrade the stock and trigger if they wanted.

B23

WKR
I don't know if they still have them available but Cabela's had Sako S20 in 6.5 PRC for $1099 and I think one of those would be a great option. They may look a little funky but the stock is very adjustable for a variety of body shapes and sizes, they have a little bit of weight to them which makes shooting one easier, and most of all they seem to shoot extremely well.

I've never shot one but I handled one of the thumbhole models and was impressed with how well it shouldered and how good it felt in the hands. I think they're a lot of gun with a lot of standard factory options for 1100 bucks and like I mentioned before, they seem to shoot very well right out of the box.

axeforce6

WKR
I strongly suggest a savage 110 tactical. I have one in a 6mm creedmoor. It shoots just as well as my custom rifles. It can be had for around $800. The 6 creed is an efficient cartridge and can be found pretty easy when all the other cartridges were scarce.

Lawnboi

WKR
What rifles do you already own?

Most any rifle is suitable for shooting targets long range, the biggest difference between your old hunting rifle and a long range rifle is the optic and support system, both of which imo are just as important as the rifle itself.

What’s listed above are a bunch of average rifles. Nothing in the 1k range is going to get you anything special.

I’d buy a tikka in a 6.5creed, a krg bravo so it fits your kid, a swfa scope unless you want to spend more than 1k, a decent bipod and enough ammo to shoot out the barrel.

By the time that barrel is toast you will be the one answering this question for others.

Mojave

WKR
I would do the Tikka over the other suggestions and put additional money towards the optic. There is pretty good aftermarket support for the tikkas as well so down the road they could upgrade the stock and trigger if they wanted.
A Bergara is a 700 clone. There isn't anything with more aftermarket support.

That and they take Savage barrels.

OP
IDShane

IDShane

WKR
Thank you to all I will pass this on to my son's friend. I have had a few custom rifles built in the past few years so I have been out of the factory rifle game for a bit.

Mojave

WKR
If he is just starting out, the scope is much more important than the rifle. It is a wind reading game if he lives in the West.

A scope with accurate dials, a first focal plane reticle with enough adjustment to get to 1200 is more important than the rifle. Good mounts (not Talley), on a 1913 rail. A bubble level either in the mount or attached to the mount or scope.

I'd rather buy a Savage rifle with an Accustock and upgrade the rifle later, and save some money on for the scope. Something like this but in 308 (because ammo is available) is $560.

Would give him $400 more for the scope. Goal is at least $850, and hopefully closer to $1500 on the scope. Ideally made in Japan or the Phillipines, maybe Eastern Europe.

$1400 for a Burris XTR Series 2, and a Savage Desert Tactical with an accustock. This is seriously what I would recommend.

If money isn't an object. Goal would be a $1500 minimum in the scope. And some kind of chassis stocked rifle that weighs at least 9 pounds bare. That will tame recoil, and come with a heavier barrel.

I am betting all of this is falling on deaf ears, as you are probably already knowledgeable about this. Just my suggestion. You never know what experience level is on the other end of the internet reading what a guy writes.

8 years ago I would have said 6.5 Creedmoor, but ammo is still a problem. And it's $45 a box for any decent match ammo.

308 match ammo is back to $18-25 a box.

Reloading is another huge set up expense a kid may not want.

Cbiren

FNG
I have a browning x bolt in 7 mm that is awesome! If you can find a used composite stock you should be below your price point.

Bater

WKR
As some have mentioned I'd to Tikka T3X or CA Mesa in cartridge of his choice topped with a scope that tracks, RTZ and holds zero under heavy recoil....the rifle is the easy part as the scope is a tougher choice that matters much more imo.