Fairbanks Hotels w Freezer Space

mooster

WKR
FBKS Fur Tannery (Al Barrett) has a trailer freezer with plenty of space usually for a day or two use in transit. Cheap too. No lock in season so odd hours ain't no thang.
He charged my hunting partner $300 (not so cheap) to intake his moose & rack to hold for AK Trophy Express even though it was only there 8 days b4 pickup. The year prior it was $150 for same period. I plan call and check in advance how much he will charge for this year.

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
He charged my hunting partner $300 (not so cheap) to intake his moose & rack to hold for AK Trophy Express even though it was only there 8 days b4 pickup. The year prior it was $150 for same period. I plan call and check in advance how much he will charge for this year.

My experience with Al, helping me with my moose last fall, was really good. I put my rack in his refrigerated trailer, came back the next day (Sunday, when he was closed and nobody was there) with most everything I needed, used his tables and hose to get my my rack ready to fly home with me. After my moose meat was processed, he stored it for several days until my pilots wife took it to Alaska Air Cargo. I think the total was around $150. It would have been $300 if he held the meat until it was frozen then he taken it to AK Air Cargo and shipped It. I would have needed to provide the boxes and taped them up ready for shipping and paid the Air Cargo fee. Al let’s us use his AK Air Cargo account to ship my meat (Could have used mine if needed).

I stored my moose in 2012 at the fish places (can’t remember the name) it cost me over $200 for two days.

Guess reasonable is a matter of perspective. I don’t work for free, I don’t expect others to work for free either. I try to be reasonable with with my fees, shop around to get reasonable fees in the existing marketplace on most things, and rarely use the lowest price. My experience is the lowest prices most often ( but not always) comes with more headaches.

I digress, sorry for the rant.

Final thoughts, I will use Al the next time his services are needed.

Last edited:
OP
Kevin Dill
Al isn't running a nonprofit entity there. I'm not aware of all his expenses but that refrigerated trailer runs for weeks and uses fuel...expensive fuel. And it's gonna be a LOT more expensive fuel this year. A few years ago he built a large walk-in freezer inside his shop...serious money...and people used it for meat storage. He sometimes didn't charge for that, and it led to an expectation of free freezer space. Anyway...Al is a good guy and he's there to run a profitable business. I support that, even if it stings sometimes.

I am not a hotel but I host several hunters each year at my house on their way to and from their hunts. I also have severl freezers... you are welcome to store your moose meat in them if you'd like. Let me know..
Hello sir! Have a caribou hunt this year! Looking for place to stay on our way back in Fairbanks! Can you give me an estimate??

Hi @Nick Muche, I'm planning a trip up to Fairbanks this year and doing the same search mission on lodging/freezer space. New to Rokslide, so I cant message yet, but very interested if you still support this. Super generous, and I'm interested if still available. Good luck hunting this year either way!

Hi @Nick Muche, I'm planning a trip up to Fairbanks this year and doing the same search mission on lodging/freezer space. New to Rokslide, so I cant message yet, but very interested if you still support this. Super generous, and I'm interested if still available. Good luck hunting this year either way!
I live in Eagle River now. Sorry man.