Fairbanks Hotels w Freezer Space

I've stayed at a number of hotels in Fairbanks over many years. None of them have had any freezers capable of handling multiple 100 lb boxes of meat. I recently spoke with a rep at LaQuinta Inn near the airport and she said they had "2 large chest freezers like you might see at a supermarket". I can't exactly reconcile that in my mind and so a question for those who might somehow have knowledge:

Do you know anything about freezer space at Fairbanks hotels? LaQuinta? Others?

chinook907

Lil-Rokslider
I don't.

Not as convenient, but I imagine one of the fish or game processors would allow it for a small fee, or if you had them process at least some of your meat.

weaver

WKR
Sure is convenient when a motel has freezers for meat storage.
I'm using Alaska trophy express this sept if I kill. They're planning on having a reefer trailer parked at the Fairbanks fur tannery this fall for meat storage.
They're also working with Santa's smokehouse to provide freezer space for hunters.
Plenty expensive but there route passes within an hour of my house so I believe the convenience will be worth it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I didn’t stay at the LaQuinta , but last year we stayed at Holliday inn and it did not have freezers.
Keep us posted because it is a great question that a lot of guys need to know.

OP
Kevin Dill
Thanks to all who replied, and especially to those extending the generosity of using their freezer space. Hopefully I can manage without imposing on anyone here. The motivation for my question was....basically.... to add additional possibilities to my meat storage options. I've found (through much experience) that it pays to have a plan, a backup plan, and a desperation plan for receiving, storing and freezing meat if I'm successful. I've known freezers to break down or fill up. I've known processors to tell a few fables about what they can do. Sadly, I've known of situations where valuable meat was either lost or left behind because a solid plan wasn't in place....or broke down entirely. That's not happened to any of the moose or caribou I've killed, but part of it was just luck.

Kevin,
What did you end up doing for meat storage in Fairbanks? I am trying to come up with a plan for our trip in 2020. Was hoping to find a processor to just de bone and freeze, And was planning on air freighting de-boned meat back to lower 48. Or at least freezer space to put meat in and get it frozen before we drop it off at air cargo.

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
Are there any updates on this subject in the age of COVID 19?

I hope to get back to Fairbanks with some sheep meat on Aug 29. Due to flight changes and work needs, I will be flying out Sunday Aug 30 at 9 pm. Plan to have a high quality soft sided cooler for the meat for return home. Figure I will buy some dry ice somewhere if I can't get the meat frozen.

AKBorn

WKR
Are there any updates on this subject in the age of COVID 19?

I hope to get back to Fairbanks with some sheep meat on Aug 29. Due to flight changes and work needs, I will be flying out Sunday Aug 30 at 9 pm. Plan to have a high quality soft sided cooler for the meat for return home. Figure I will buy some dry ice somewhere if I can't get the meat frozen.

You might be able to get all of your sheep meat into one fish box (typically used to pack salmon for flying to the lower 48) that you can buy at Fred Meyer, Sportsmans Warehouse, or Carr's/Safeway (sorry for listing all of them, I fly through Anchorage so am not familiar with the FBX stores).

OP
Kevin Dill
For the record, DON'T expect there to be appreciable freezer space at the Fairbanks LaQuinta which is near the airport. Friends told me they have very minimal (as in tiny little) chest freezers there. Total no-go unless you have just a small box. Most hotels just don't have the space or facilities to hold multiple boxes of moose or caribou meat. In those cases you'll be looking for 3rd party freezer storage (say a meat processor) and expect to pay for it....maybe more than you expect.

Did you call Nick? I’ve stay at his place before. Took him and Stephanie to the Turtle Club. It was a fun part of my trip. I left my bull magnet so he has to open the door when I come back! Lol

I'll be gone on the dates you are mentioning, but I did hear that Alaska Fur Tannery, off of Pegar Rd may have the ability to get your meat frozen.

Berner5

FNG
I'll be gone on the dates you are mentioning, but I did hear that Alaska Fur Tannery, off of Pegar Rd may have the ability to get your meat frozen.
Big props to you being so generous to people rolling through!
that’s a good man right there.
good question too I was just starting to look into freezer options up there for when I get a plan In motion.

Auckland

FNG
Hey guys, I thought id maybe check in and see what experiences a few of you may have had recently. We are going up this September and we were told the fur tannery will freeze our meat and have it ready for us. Have any of you dealt with them personally? or maybe have another more recent recommendation... like was said, a backup plan.. Thanks in advance if anyone can share any more recent experiences.

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
in 2020, the fur tannery stored my cape and dall sheep horns. My outfitter had a freezer so I did not store the meat there. The fur tannery person I spoke with to get my cape and horns shipped was very easy to work with. Can you call them to see what they will do?

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
FBKS Fur Tannery (Al Barrett) has a trailer freezer with plenty of space usually for a day or two use in transit. Cheap too. No lock in season so odd hours ain't no thang.