Fairbanks to Dawson City Travel info needed

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
Can anyone tell me how to get from Fairbanks to Dawson City by the easiest (and reasonably priced) method. Maybe someone from Alaska knows the secret. I had friends who made this trek years ago but it appears the airlines have stopped flying this route. Maybe I’m just chasing my tail but I’m trying to avoid the other routes to Dawson through Toronto and Whitehorse

There are no scheduled direct or even semi direct connections currently that I know of. In the past there have been seasonal flights between Whitehorse and Fairbanks with a canadian airline, but I don't believe any of those are still operating. Air North did and may still do cruise ship charters from Dawson - Fairbanks in the summers, so that may be how your friends managed.

Fairbanks to Dawson is most commonly done via Top of the World hwy. It's a days drive, and some sections of semi rough roads when you get north of Chicken. That's the easiest.

When we have to fly that way, it's usually via Vancouver. It's pretty terrible, and depending on the time of year involves a lot of stops along the way. Which is why driving is the way to go.

Reactions: Guy
OP
M

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
There are no scheduled direct or even semi direct connections currently that I know of. In the past there have been seasonal flights between Whitehorse and Fairbanks with a canadian airline, but I don't believe any of those are still operating. Air North did and may still do cruise ship charters from Dawson - Fairbanks in the summers, so that may be how your friends managed.

Fairbanks to Dawson is most commonly done via Top of the World hwy. It's a days drive, and some sections of semi rough roads when you get north of Chicken. That's the easiest.

When we have to fly that way, it's usually via Vancouver. It's pretty terrible, and depending on the time of year involves a lot of stops along the way. Which is why driving is the way to go.
Thanks for the feedback. I looked at driving and it looks like about a 10 hour drive. The next problem I ran into was renting a car which appears to be a problem leaving it in Dawson. Unless I rented it for 2 weeks and used the same car to return to Fairbanks. I couldn’t find any flights from anywhere in Alaska that would go directly to Dawson. I can fly from the east coast thru Chicago and then to Fairbanks in a 9 hour total flight. Any other flight takes 2 days and many stops and layovers, and ends in Whitehorse where there are daily flights to Dawson City. According to the info I found, commercial flights from Fairbanks to Dawson stopped about 5 years ago due to lack of profitability. Was hoping someone may have a magical answer

Copy that. I start my sheep hunts the first of August anyway so I wont be much help to you. I figured if you had one of the mid July hunts in Canada we could work something out. Just FYI I don't know of ANY typical rental car company in Alaska that allows their vehicles to be used on the road that takes you north out of Tok, AK through Chicken and into Dawson City. Its primarily a dirt road and they have a disclaimer for that use forbidding it. Just something to keep in mind. The only ones I know (i use them in my 9-5 job) that allows use is Airport Equipment Rental and Uhaul but both are very expensive.

W1bowo

Lil-Rokslider

+1
f.png

OP
M

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
Copy that. I start my sheep hunts the first of August anyway so I wont be much help to you. I figured if you had one of the mid July hunts in Canada we could work something out. Just FYI I don't know of ANY typical rental car company in Alaska that allows their vehicles to be used on the road that takes you north out of Tok, AK through Chicken and into Dawson City. Its primarily a dirt road and they have a disclaimer for that use forbidding it. Just something to keep in mind. The only ones I know (i use them in my 9-5 job) that allows use is Airport Equipment Rental and Uhaul but both are very expensive.
Thanks, it was worth a try. And thanks for the info regarding car rentals as well. I saw there is a Tour company that runs a daily bus route for about $300 round trip which sounded interesting. Not sure how open they would be to a hunter with guns and gear taking their tour

Thanks, it was worth a try. And thanks for the info regarding car rentals as well. I saw there is a Tour company that runs a daily bus route for about $300 round trip which sounded interesting. Not sure how open they would be to a hunter with guns and gear taking their tour

I would jump all over that deal. A lot of the tour companies originating around interior Alaska are hunter friendly. I know a guide that works for one of them in the winter season. I would certainly check up on that option,

OP
M

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
I would jump all over that deal. A lot of the tour companies originating around interior Alaska are hunter friendly. I know a guide that works for one of them in the winter season. I would certainly check up on that option,
Thanks, I will look into that further

rope

FNG
There are flight during the tourist season from Fairbanks to Dawson. This time of year may not yield internet results. Try doing a search for the month and use 2020 for the year. I am headed to Fairbanks airport today and will ask around.

OP
M

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
There are flight during the tourist season from Fairbanks to Dawson. This time of year may not yield internet results. Try doing a search for the month and use 2020 for the year. I am headed to Fairbanks airport today and will ask around.
Thanks!! Much appreciated...curious as to what you find out. I didn’t have any luck locating any flights using August 2020 dates

Last edited:
OP
M

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
I spoke with Alaska Shuttle and they run a shuttle bus service between Fairbanks and Dawson on Sunday, Tuesday and Friday and run from Dawson to Fairbanks on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. So those days coincide perfectly with my trip since I need to be in Dawson on a Wednesday and will need to leave on a Saturday. When asked about traveling with firearms they had no objections and just stated it was my responsibility to be compliant when arriving at the border. I was wrong about the price thinking it was round trip; it is $315 one way. But considering what I will save on the other flights in money and time, and I will get to experience seeing interior Alaska and the Yukon from the Taylor and Top of the World Highway, it may well be worth the cost. And now that “Rope” found out about the Air North flights I may choose to do one way by air and the other by bus. Hopefully the air and bus schedules will stay some what consistent over the next 2 years so this will work out. Thanks to all for the info and suggestions.