Fairbanks Uhaul Beware

Elkhntr08

WKR
There were zero cars or trucks to rent a couple weeks ago. Box vans were literally the only thing available.
I can’t imagine running one of those up the Dalton Highway.

PA Hunter

WKR
I reserved a 9ft cargo van from Fairbanks uhaul in February for 2 weeks starting August 24th. I walked 4 miles from my Airbb to the uhaul shop and he told me they had sold both their 9’ cargo vans after I made my reservation and sorry nobody told you about that. To shorten a long story we ended up in a 15’ box truck and we’re in business. But that was the only thing they had. Any of you guys that think you have a vehicle waiting for you when you get there you better damn sure make sure. I called 12 times 4 days before and never got a hold of anybody in Fairbanks. It sent me to the national number where I asked if I could pick it up a day early and he said no it was unavailable for early pickup. He failed to mention it was totally unavailable because they’d sold it. Good luck guys. Just a heads up.
I arrived in Fairbanks U haul near airport Sept 5 th and guy next to me had his rental van rented out to another person even though he reserved it. they told him even though he reserved it that he didnt confirm the reservation within 24 hours of his pickup date. They gave him a damn 24 ft straight truck to take hunting. I called repeatedly before my hunt the 1 800 national number guy answered I repeatedly told him i would be there to get my truck and not give it away. Even though you reserve it i think you need to confirm it within 24 hours of pick up which stinks if your flying from far away.

Front end of my trip:I had a pickup truck reserved at FB UHaul and had no issues with it. I did get a call from them asking me to verify the reservation and that I would be needing it. All went well.

Back end: I didn't really want a UHaul and so had my wife chase down a rental from Budget at the airport. I ended up with a really nice vehicle but it definitely cost plenty.

Next year, I'm not sure how I'll do it. You can be assured I'll be making an early reservation (or 3) and following up on them. NOT getting caught in that trap if I can avoid it.