Fairplay, CO area - Question/Help

bz_711

WKR
Curious if any Fairplay area locals might be able to help with some info...

Bringing the family out this month...after a few days camping we have an airbnb outside Fairplay...and I'd like to arrange our first 14er hike for the family. Considering Mt Sherman as it's not only the closest but possibly easiest.

My problem...family of 7, bringing out a van - don't think we can drive that to the Mt Sherman TH.
1) Can you get van to the TH?
2) I'm assuming no...are there any local services, or Jeep/SUV owners that can shuttle a family of 7 up to the TH (guessing 2 trips with family of 7)

Don't want to miss out on the opportunity to get them their first 14er just because we can't fit in the suburban this year. My oldest just graduated high school and I worry when we'll get the whole family back to CO again as a group.

PM if you'd like...thanks for any details!

P.S.: is bank fishing at Antero 1 day a good idea? Best baits?

CoStick

WKR
I believe there is pretty good amount of construction now there, so check to make sure your route is good. Antero is fun to fish and you can catch fish from shore.

11boo

WKR
You can also park at the top of Hoosier pass and access some nice hikes.

I am adding, try and be below treeline before the afternoon storms roll in. That stuff is no joke.

Northpark

WKR
Used to live there. Miss it. Quandary peak trailhead is a easily accessible 14er. Just start your hike early in the day to get off the mountain before afternoon lightning. Antero , eleven mile and spinney mountain reservoirs are all bank fishable no problem. If you fly fish it’s tough to beat a two fly rig with a scud on top and chronomide “ice cream cone” on the bottom under an indicator. Basically toss it out and bobber fish.

11boo

WKR
Is the trailhead to Lincoln and Bross still open? We used to bag those two peaks very easily in one trip. Heard they had access issues now.

CoHiCntry

WKR
Unfortunately the 14ers mentioned are some of the busiest ones. Quandry now has a reservation system to park at the trailhead and I think they started running shuttles for a fee out of Breck this year. Three will be a steady stream of people up & down that mountain. You better get to any of the trailheads super early if you want a parking spot. Or you'll be parking along the road a ways from the trailhead. If it were me, I'd skip all those and head further down the highway and do something in the Sawatch range. Maybe Elbert since it's the highest in Colorado but also a class 2 semi-easy hike? Climbing 14ers has gotten ridiculous compared to what it was several years ago. Sorry to sound all gloomy but things have really changed over the years. Still a good time, just have to navigate the crowds. I'm doing Columbia on Monday.

Mr. Sherman is a good family hike, we did it ~10 years ago. Not the most scenic, but you can fly up and down it. From the fairplay side you should be fine in your van.

h2so4

WKR
Check out Mt. Princeton hot springs in Nathrop if you make it down that way. Pm me if you would like for more ideas.

CoHiCntry

WKR
Also... download the 14ers.com app. It's free and has a bunch of really good information from route descriptions with pics, to trailhead directions and recent trip reports.

def90

WKR
Mt Bierstadt is an easy 14er that you can get to with any vehicle. Quandry as well but you will among a group of hundreds on the same trail. I am not familiar with the road up to Sherman.

As for 14ers this time of year, if you are not at the top and on your way down by 11am to noon you should be. Afternoon storms and lightning this time of year are a daily occurrence and the last place you want to be is in the open above tree line on a 14er when it happens. Even on a blue sky day a storm system can form out of nowhere right in front of you. Bring and drink a ton of water, even if you don't feel like you need it.

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
Just be sure to spend lots of money there. Dorothy's tamales in town is delicious, prathers is a full service grocery store. The brewery is pretty good and java moose is a neat little coffee shop with pastries. Jefferson lake is stunning. Montgomery reservoir is pretty and free if I remember right. Lincoln, Bross, and democrat 14ers are just a little ways up highway 9 and you can summit at least two in one trip without much hassle. The trailhead is accessible in a car at least it was the last time I drove it eight years ago. As others have said, you do not want to be in the open when the thunderstorms roll in around 3pm.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

gearguywb

WKR
Bierstadt is one of the easier. Quandry is beautiful but you need reservations for the trailhead parking lot. If I am remembering correctly, Sherman is a long gravel road to park. Not technically challenging but tough on something like a loaded van

jwatts

WKR
We just got back from the Fairplay area. We had a great time. Plenty of fishing options around in the creeks in the area, as well as the Platte. You could fish 4 Mile Creek on the way to Mt Sherman. We went over towards Twin Lakes and hiked Elbert. I would also recommend downloading the 14ers app. There's also a Colorado 14ers Facebook group that has some good info and up to date trip and condition reports on the various 14ers.