Fake Deer

Just think if you end up getting one, you dont have to worry about mounting it as its already done LOL. I would never shot one as Im sure I would tell before I squeezed off a shot, but I do kind of consider it entrapment...

Had a warden tell me that a husband and wife pulled up on one.
Guy rolls down window and starts taking picture.
Wife - I think that's a fake deer
Husband - shut up woman, it's a real deer

Happens a few more times until warden let's them know.

That poor man have never won an argument since.

sk1

WKR
i really think its pathetic how often people break the laws to shoot at these things, you know it means there are that many more that do it every season.....shoot i always hear stories from road hunters "yeah i was on the highway when i saw him cross, jumped out of my truck and dumped him" i know everyones take on hunting is different, but that stuff really irritates me.........the only reason its exciting for them is because they are leaning over the hood of their truck shooting over a highway, the thrill of trying not to get caught must be what does it for them, it certainly cant be hunting.

i dont think you can call it entrapment if its an animal that isnt legal to shoot (or is legal but off of road not legal to shoot from).....that's like leaving the keys in my truck ignition, just because they are there doesnt make it legal, and certainly not entrapment

but to stick with the topic, i havent ever seen one or known anyone who has.....i would really like to see one!

Mckinnon

WKR
I had no idea that Fish and Game even did stuff like this, I cant even imagine doing some of the stuff that's in these stories!

First and Foremost rules are made to be followed, I agree with that... But it is entrapement no matter how you look at it, you can put a live trap out and bait it and even the smartest of animals will enter the trap to take the bait, its no different with the human species. If Im driving down the road after a week long backpack hunt with an unfilled tag in my pocket and I see a group of elk 100yards off the road, dam right Im gonna pull over get the appropriate distance from the road and try and fill my tag.... then I fiqure out there fake, thats entrapement.... Im not saying theres anything wrong with DFW doing it, its just plane and simple ENTRAPEMENT.... Would be pretty fun to be a Warden and watch the expressions on the faces of the shooters :)

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I don't want to start a big argument or anything, but just on a legal note: This is not entrapment. Entrapment requires coercion or persuasion, not the mere opportunity to commit a crime. Even government solicitation does not necessarily mean coercion or persuasion.

This has been long held by the US Supreme Court:

Sorrells v. Untied States (1932)
United States v. Nations (1985)
United States v. Johnson (1989)

Now if the warden came out of the woods while you were looking at the deer, and said, "You should shoot that thing!" I think you would be getting to entrapment.

A friend of mine saw a fake deer off the side of the road in the dark. He didn't want it to get poached so he beeped at it, got out and yelled and then threw a rock at it. Eventually, F&G stepped out and told him to "leave it alone" (exact words). I can only imagine how hard they were laughing while that went down. He said he almost crapped his pants when they stepped out of the bushes in the dark.

sk1

WKR
First and Foremost rules are made to be followed, I agree with that... But it is entrapement no matter how you look at it, you can put a live trap out and bait it and even the smartest of animals will enter the trap to take the bait, its no different with the human species. If Im driving down the road after a week long backpack hunt with an unfilled tag in my pocket and I see a group of elk 100yards off the road, dam right Im gonna pull over get the appropriate distance from the road and try and fill my tag.... then I fiqure out there fake, thats entrapement.... Im not saying theres anything wrong with DFW doing it, its just plane and simple ENTRAPEMENT.... Would be pretty fun to be a Warden and watch the expressions on the faces of the shooters :)

damn right you're going to get off the road and try for one of those elk, so would i.....the key phrase is "the appropriate distance from the road" and of course on public land......and it's not entrapment, that makes you completely legal....if you shoot it then the Fish and Game will just tell you to move on, or stop you prior to shooting. for the guys that shoot off the road or don't try to get close to the appropriate legal distance from it, they deserve what they get. like BB said, opportunity is not entrapment

I personally have only seen the fake deer on some Fish and Game reality shows. I personally like that they find folks breaking the law this way. I'm in favor of them and I think they are a good tool in fighting crime.

There was a similar show catching folks that steal cars called "Bait Car" that I also found humorous. The cars had hidden video cameras that also recorded any conversations, GPS tracking and a remotely activated kill switch that also locked the doors. What was most humorous to me was not that they were blatantly breaking the law but the thieves excuses most times on how they did not know it was against the law to get in and drive away in someone elses car.

My thought is that we need to have more of these kind of sting operations. Sting operations are catching poachers and citing hunters that are not following the law. They also do a good job at helping to catch, thieves, hackers, child molesters, and bust criminals selling illegal drugs just to name a few.

bigmoose

WKR
Three or fours ago, while hunting in Colorado, my partner and were coming down a good gravel road heading towards the hiway. We came around a turn and there two big bucks standing off to my right about 75 yards off the road. One was turning his head back and forth slowly. It took about 2 seconds to realize they were fakes. We both started laughing and then looking around for the game warden.. We drove around the next bend in the road and there they were...5 of them. We stopped and said "nice bucks, so that's what they look like". A couple of them started cracking up...the whole thing was funny. I'll bet they caught several guys that day. Both the bucks were 25-26" heavy horned 4 pointers and would look pretty good to most guys.

Moose