Fall 2022 NR CO or WY Spot and Stalk Rifle Hunt?

Tags are cheap ($100) in CO for NR during regular rifle season. However, this coincides with general deer/elk season so likely crowded. Any thoughts from guys that have hunted bears in both states? In WY I would likely target the units south and east of Jackson. In CO, probably looking at north central.

Appreciate thoughts from the experts.

tdhanses

WKR
Sure seems to me like CO has tons of bear, i’ve never hunted in my area and not seen or bumped multiple each year. I didn’t even see bear signs in WY last year but I will say when I hunted central CO I didn’t see any either.

I’d research where are the highest densities and go hunt, don’t worry about CO pressure if you go there.

They're even cheaper here in Oregon, 16 bucks even for nonres i believe for bear and cougar and we have plenty of them. Spring bear is a draw but you can get 2 fall bear otc tags

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I looked at the CO estimated harvest report from 2020 and there were around 35k tags bought if I read it right. Success rate across all manners of take was 5-7%, again if I read it correctly.

I’ll see if I can find WY stats for comparison.

Oregon sounds like it must be rotten with predators. If it wasn’t such a long drive I’d consider it.

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
I bear hunted in NW Colorado in Sept 2020, first few days of September in a very popular OTC archery elk unit. In that unit, the majority of the bears and majority of the elk are at very different elevations that time of year. In other words, no issue with pressure from archery elk hunters. I saw bears every evening I hunted but nothing legal within my shooting range. I’m dying to get back and do it again this fall.

I looked at the CO estimated harvest report from 2020 and there were around 35k tags bought if I read it right. Success rate across all manners of take was 5-7%, again if I read it correctly.

I’ll see if I can find WY stats for comparison.

Oregon sounds like it must be rotten with predators. If it wasn’t such a long drive I’d consider it.
Yeah the distance probably keeps a lot of people away. We have a shitload of predators lol

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So many bears in CO these days. I saw 8 different bears 8 days in a row. If I wasn't after elk I would have killed so many bears. Usually been dry conditions early Sept and found many over little water holes later in the afternoon/evenings. Think your on the right track for CO bear.

poboy2214

FNG
Hunted the west side of maroon bells for elk last season and it was THICK with bears. Heard/saw multiple everyday. If you decide to hunt Colorado shoot me a pm, I don’t mind sharing that spot.