fall bear

who is getting ready? opens Aug 1 here, and i'm looking forward to it..... i normally don't go to crazy fall bear hunting, but i want a bear to can and some fat to render, and i want to get the ball rolling on the fall hunting season.

who else is gonna go chase bear here shortly?

If he show back up he is history. Had him on camera this spring but hasn’t been seen lately
72b620daaf5c8af3d1d8af44398c4e09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samwise

FNG
Has any one bear hunted colorado 2nd rifle in the fall?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Ya he can out of hibernation in great shape. He stuck around for about a month then wondered off hoping he shows back up to Raid the neighbors bee boxes.

Ntuttle15

Lil-Rokslider
I'm excited! This will be my first attempt for bears in the fall. Really don't have any idea what I'm doing for the fall hunt style. The weather in Idaho has been so hot I'm wondering how much it's going to affect the berries availability.. I suppose we will see

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
Likely chasing bears for the first time this year, opens Sept. first. Put out 2 cams the other day where I saw a bear and some sign last year, looks like there will be some acorns again but more water in the area so the water hole will not be quite the draw it was.

I've been out scouting berry patches for the last few weeks (and bringing them home so my wife can make scones), seen lots of sign and getting excited for August 30th.

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in Oregon as well and am very excited. Lucky to hunt in the sw zone so any decent bear will be happy to use tag one on and something special for the second tag. Been scouting my berry patches and some new ones that look great, the only issue is that there hasn’t been any fresh sign in them yet even with some berries being ripe, they’re all at about 2000 feet anyone else not seeing bears active at that elevation yet? Have spent 3 days scouting and will have one more before I start hunting Sunday, I love bear hunting very much looking forward to this august!

jangst98

FNG
I am lookin to go do my first bear hunt this year, which will be my first hunt out west. Any things to look for besides berry patches and sign?

I am lookin to go do my first bear hunt this year, which will be my first hunt out west. Any things to look for besides berry patches and sign?
Ripe berries

If it’s an august hunt where they will be bedded during the day due to heat I wouldn’t bother hunting past 11-12pm. Not saying bears don’t move during the day, but when it’s 90+ out your chances of seeing something moving on a hillside decrease dramatically. It’s a bit different in September when they start really gearing up for hibernation and they’re eating like 18 hours straight - it’s worth glassing all day then.

One mistake nearly everyone makes - be at your glassing point before dawn - if you don’t need a headlamp to walk to it you’re too late. Likewise, if you can walk back to camp without a headlamp you left your spot too early. Especially during August, I’ve had the most success with bears moving after 6-7pm.

Perfect example -

Im getting up and getting my stuff together to head back to the truck. It’s still somewhat light out and I’m purposely dragging my feet to use up the last bit of daylight and out of the blue:

4692084C-B008-4E1A-8E6B-C8E130E93AC7.jpeg

Decided I’d wait for him to get to the top of the drainage and if he made it there I’d consider shooting because it’s a small bear and we’re allowed two tags so I figure I’d hold out on my next one. He got almost to the top, smelled the air(wind swirling so no surprise there) and booked it for the bottom. Oh well, still cool. There will be more.

I wish the border would open up without standards so I can go on my hunt that I’ve put a deposit down on.

jangst98

FNG
I
Ripe berries

If it’s an august hunt where they will be bedded during the day due to heat I wouldn’t bother hunting past 11-12pm. Not saying bears don’t move during the day, but when it’s 90+ out your chances of seeing something moving on a hillside decrease dramatically. It’s a bit different in September when they start really gearing up for hibernation and they’re eating like 18 hours straight - it’s worth glassing all day then.

One mistake nearly everyone makes - be at your glassing point before dawn - if you don’t need a headlamp to walk to it you’re too late. Likewise, if you can walk back to camp without a headlamp you left your spot too early. Especially during August, I’ve had the most success with bears moving after 6-7pm.
I am going to be in Idaho around middle September. So we will for sure be glassing all day. I am green to all this and appreciate the advice. If anyone else has words of wisdom for Idaho that would be much appreciated.

I

I am going to be in Idaho around middle September. So we will for sure be glassing all day. I am green to all this and appreciate the advice. If anyone else has words of wisdom for Idaho that would be much appreciated.
Another thing that comes to mind - people constantly talk about getting off roads and trails. In busy areas, I would agree. Not every area is busy though. The area I’m hunting, I’m about a half mile from the main road on a decommissioned road. This place is absolutely dead, even on a weekend you may only see a couple people.

Just don’t overthink it.

It’s the same thing I see with guys hunting other species - they’ll walk right by animals to get “deep” because they think it automatically ups their odds, and that’s not always the case.

Oregonboy

WKR
I'm in the same boat. I usually carry a bear tag "just in case" during deer and elk hunts but this year I'm going out with the intention of finding a fall bear. I've moved to a much better area and have been seeing a ton of bear sign. I'm looking forward to chasing a new critter and hopefully experimenting with some new recipes as well.