Fall Black Bear Elevations

Block

WKR
Be aware if ur state opens upland game birds in the fall it def can tend to push the bears back deeper and make them a bit tougher to find moving during daylight. They don’t like shotguns or dogs... Cali bear is open thru Dec but they seem to cover less ground and stay more remote as it gets cooler from what Iv seen...

In Washington the berries start ripening above 3k' early august, higher later. It all depends on location. Once the berries are done at full elevation the bears start bouncing back down, at that point hunt drainage's, and wetter locations. Listening for bears is one of your best tools.

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any advice what to do when the oak brush didn’t grow acorns in my area? I’m up in Colorado unit 61 currently, and come to find out a June freeze killed off nearly all acorn. Elevation is 7500-9000 and below that is more desert/pinion juniper. Haven’t seen any berries yet, planning on going lower tomorrow.

Words of wisdom on what to look for when there is no acorn crop?
Thx all

JP100

WKR
From what I have seen in BC is bears can and will be anywhere. Seen bears way up above goats and in the river valleys.

As the saying goes- they are where you find them....

I’m following along. I’m also interested in finding fall bears. I’ve been deer and elk scouting in the high cascades of Oregon a few long weekends July 4, August 17, latest August 30. last 2 trips Found some massive huckleberry patches with no real bear sign in the 5000-6500’ range. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated

swampokie

WKR
Anyone have any advice what to do when the oak brush didn’t grow acorns in my area? I’m up in Colorado unit 61 currently, and come to find out a June freeze killed off nearly all acorn. Elevation is 7500-9000 and below that is more desert/pinion juniper. Haven’t seen any berries yet, planning on going lower tomorrow.

Words of wisdom on what to look for when there is no acorn crop?
Thx all
They r up high in southern co. They r eating aspens and grasses above 8500 there are some down low as well but many more are being spotted up to 10000 feet It seems the acorns froze down here as well