Fall Montana Bear hunting experiences

splojo

FNG
What have peoples experiences been hunting bears in the fall in Montana? Im thinking I am going to pick a tag up while there this fall for an elk hunt.

Gumbo

WKR
I seem to see one or two a season and plenty of sign. If you want to shoot one it is a definite possibility and worth having a tag in your pocket.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you're primarily hunting elk then there is a high chance you'll be in black bear territory; if bear is something that interests you, then worth having a tag in your pocket imo. depending on where you're hunting, might want to consider a wolf tag as well

I would definitely pick up a bear tag. I see a fair amount of bears during the fall while elk hunting. I’ve had multiple friends have bears walk into calling setups

jmez

WKR
I would get one. We saw a lot of bears hunting in MT. If you get an elk down early in your trip there will likely be a black bear on the carcass before you leave.

People can't run them with dogs or bait in MT so there's plenty of bears there. The last 3 times I hunted MT I've seen at least 1 bear each time. (And one griz the last time)

People always say spring bears are predictable, but I've found fall bears to be far more predictable, making them quite easy to find once you learn your plant phenology and quality bear habitat associates. Like others have said, it is worth getting a tag. I've had more than my share of elk hunts out here turn into bear hunts in a half second! Good luck this season!

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Hunted elk in Montana at the beginning of October. Seen more black bears than elk. Should of bought a tag ahead of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
I don't see as many as I'd like to, but they're there for sure. I bet most black bears taken in the fall in MT are during elk hunts vs. dedicated bear hunts. I'd buy one if I were you, just my opinion.

Call.me.porter

Lil-Rokslider
Came across this one today, already filled my tag this spring so she got a pass. Would have been a cake shot with my bow at 35 yards. A respectable bear at probably 5 1/2'.

Attachments

• IMG_20191014_210137_624.jpg
    IMG_20191014_210137_624.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 51
I was told that the bear in the fall are on a feeding frenzy geting ready for winter I don't care when i hunt them i am just trying to find out from you guys that know what ya''ll think. If i don't come at the right time in the spring when the bear are coming out of there dens i won't see any bear. In the fall they are all still feeding up ?