False bugles

hntr

FNG
We were in Colorado last week elk hunting. We were hearing a bunch of bugles, followed by multiple shotgun shots. Is it normal for turkey hunters to locate turkeys by bugling? Was a first for me.

OP
H

hntr

FNG
shock gobbling technique?

Man, I guess. In the spring in Missouri they will gobble at any noise. They rarely gobble in the fall though, maybe it is different in Colorado....

KHNC

WKR
Probably just doing an Elk Drive. Maybe had a few dogs running elk too. Just like in the south.

Dogs aren’t used to drive elk in Colorado(unless you’re an idiot) and CO. turkey rarely gobble in the fall.

We were in Colorado last week elk hunting. We were hearing a bunch of bugles, followed by multiple shotgun shots. Is it normal for turkey hunters to locate turkeys by bugling? Was a first for me.

Ran into grouse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
This year we were hunting up on a big ridge top and my buddy ripped out a locator bugle and a turkey instantly gobbled back at him. He ripped out another and 3 turkeys answered, we then setup and he used his elk reed and called them in with some clucking and purring, there ended up being 3 gobblers and 2 bearded hens all together.

They definitely do answer back in the fall, those turkeys gobbled probably 20 times, we stopped back by on the way out off of that ridge and messed with them some more.

njdoxie

WKR
I’ve heard a little gobbling in the fall when 30-40 crows were circling over head raising hell at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk