Familiar w/ CO Sheep unit S1 and 18?

Bughalli

WKR
I was fortunate enough to draw a Rocky Mountain sheep tag in Colorado for unit S1 (also good for unit S18 too). It's a Sept season, any weapon. The unit is just West of Fort Collins. Anyone have experience in that area... hunting sheep or even seeing sheep? I'm a non-resident, so scouting will be tough. I might be able to swing one flight out for scouting. With the impact of Covid it's hard to pay for an outfitter, but it's also a once in a lifetime tag. Thus, trying to learn as much as I can. Any insight would be appreciated. Feel free to DM me.

Thanks guys

I helped a friend hunting in S18 year before last. A lot of that unit is right on the edge of the park (No hunting in the park). We dealt with day hikers every day.
We had a very close encounter with a moose as well. He did end up taking a ram that he is very excited about. I'll try to dig up a photo.
The S18 sheep on average, from what I've heard, are smaller framed sheep than the transplanted sheep in some of the other units (this could be bogus, I heard it third hand).

Reach out to the biologist in the area if you can. They were pretty helpful.

We hunted around 11,000 and 12,000' above sea level, so make sure you have plenty of good cardiovascular fitness, and give yourself a few days to acclimate before going up there from Oregon.

I'm in Ft. Collins, so if you need a hand with logistics, or have any questions, let me know. I'll help if I can.

OP
B

Bughalli

WKR
Thanks...I'll reach out to both of you. For what it's worth, GoHunt rates the sheep in S18 as slightly smaller than S1. I've heard there's a lot of hikers in both.

sneakem

FNG
Kelly lake/Clear lake... Great rams ... It's not really bordering the park, that's S19 and the sheep are much larger in S18 on average. S1 is better in the second season later in the year.

AMann

FNG
I would focus my efforts in S18 over S1. In years past, North Park Outfitters have taken a few VERY nice rams. However, the sheep herd has struggled and their head guide Jim is a tool and wouldn't recommend their services even if you were in the market. Kelly lake and Clear lake, as mentioned above, are decent starting points. However, don't overlook Cameron Pass as a starting point and using the continental divide trail to cover more ground. I'll be in S9 this year with my sister chasing rams. Best of luck! Feel free to PM me with any questions!

ejconner

FNG
I was fortunate enough to draw a Rocky Mountain sheep tag in Colorado for unit S1 (also good for unit S18 too). It's a Sept season, any weapon. The unit is just West of Fort Collins. Anyone have experience in that area... hunting sheep or even seeing sheep? I'm a non-resident, so scouting will be tough. I might be able to swing one flight out for scouting. With the impact of Covid it's hard to pay for an outfitter, but it's also a once in a lifetime tag. Thus, trying to learn as much as I can. Any insight would be appreciated. Feel free to DM me.

Thanks guys
I was wondering how your hunt went. I also had an S1 October tag for 2020, luckily for me it was pushed to 2021 because of the access from the Cameron Peak fires. I am not sure you were as fortunate. How did your hunt go? Any advice for someone hunting S1 in 2021. Thanks. Eric