Family Antelope hunt

lmeyer

WKR
I'm thinking of making the family vacation this year a antelope hunting/ fishing trip to Wyoming. It would only be me and my wife hunting, the boys are too young ( they will be 6, 5, 3.5, 1.5 at the time). Definitely wont be a trophy hunt, i'll be focused on meat for the freezer. We would driving from Louisiana in our Nissan NV 3500 ( about to start another thread on storage mods for travel). I would have about 5-6 days hunting/fishing plus travel days. Plan is hotels on the travel days and camping on the hunting days. I have a Cabelas instinct 10x14 8 man tent that we all fit in. I know i will have to break up the hunting with activities for the kids. What areas would have some easy access for fishing, other cool thing to do with the kids? Camp grounds with bath facilities? Looking for any advice on how to pull this off.

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
I'm thinking of making the family vacation this year a antelope hunting/ fishing trip to Wyoming. It would only be me and my wife hunting, the boys are too young ( they will be 6, 5, 3.5, 1.5 at the time). Definitely wont be a trophy hunt, i'll be focused on meat for the freezer. We would driving from Louisiana in our Nissan NV 3500 ( about to start another thread on storage mods for travel). I would have about 5-6 days hunting/fishing plus travel days. Plan is hotels on the travel days and camping on the hunting days. I have a Cabelas instinct 10x14 8 man tent that we all fit in. I know i will have to break up the hunting with activities for the kids. What areas would have some easy access for fishing, other cool thing to do with the kids? Camp grounds with bath facilities? Looking for any advice on how to pull this off.
I have no advice, but that's an awesome idea and way to expose your boys to the natural world. I have 2 boys and 2 girls, so I am sure I can imagine the insanity you'll experience driving from Louisiana to Wyoming...Good luck brother!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
You had better check the fishing out if you want trout. Most places w trout fishing have point requirements.

OP
L

lmeyer

WKR
@Rich M there's a draw for trout? Or the antelope area requires points to draw? Not trying to sound dumb, just never looked much at the fishing regs

Rich M

WKR
@Rich M there's a draw for trout? Or the antelope area requires points to draw? Not trying to sound dumb, just never looked much at the fishing regs
Not at all. I thought there were trout everywhere in WY when I went and was wrong.

Most of the units I later looked at w trout fishing nearby were like 5 point units. You could hunt and then drive to do trout fishing, hot springs, national monuments, lots of stuff, just not all together.

Antelope are fun to hunt. You guys will have a ball.

OP
L

lmeyer

WKR
@Rich M thanks for clarifying. I actually have 6 points but wasn't planning on burning them yet. Just was going to go for does. Trout would be awsome, but doesn't really matter to me. Anything that the kids reel in will be excitement enough

Rich M

WKR
Burn those points for a decent antelope hunt - if I had 6, I'd be going. Apply for doe tags in easy to reach areas - antelope are all over the place on opening morning.

Research the fishing and go for the trout too - it'll be more fun as opposed to bluegill and bullhead, I'm sure.

wytx

WKR
You can find decent trout fishing, warmer water fish too pretty much all over. From very small streams to beaver ponds and larger lakes. The small mountain streams hold lots of brookies . Some of the higher alpine lakes hold cutthroats and golden trout among others, they get stocked.
The larger rivers have nice brown and rainbow fishing.
Walleye can be found as well in some lakes, along with crappie, perch and small mouth bass.
Unless you opt for a desert pronghorn area fishing won't be too far.
Come out in Sept for that hunt and you might take a drive up in the mountains and hear some elk bugling.

UW in Laramie has a nice museum for the kids to see some awesome dinosaur displays, it;s free.

gburk

WKR
that sounds like an awesome trip. Second the advice to take advantage of the cold water trout fishing opportunity the boys don't have in LA.

i'd make sure to have some fun stops planned on the drive there and back, mostly for Mom's sanity.
Actually, i'm impressed she's going with you at all. 😁

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
Love the idea! I’m starting to plan (only have 1 antelope point) to take my kids out for one. It’ll have to be ‘21 or ‘22. With luck I can take the soon-to-be-5 year old, along with his older brother and sister.

I’d be driving from Detroit. Have a buddy who lives in Jackson, so a possible endpoint and a big reason to pick WY over any other state.

I hope yours works out really well, both the hunt and the trip. Post any pointers afterwards, will ya?