Family friendly hunting cabin (SD) need recs

Vandy321

WKR
Had a trip planned to SC for some low country redfishing around christmas. Our dog sitter just bailed (family coming in, can't blame her) and now we've got the dogs and a 2 year old we cant leave alone. We live in CO so no desire to drive to a mtn town and spend 3-4x's regular prices qto get a VRBO and hang out.

Im toying with finding a hunting lodge or cabin type outfit (on private or near public, dont matter) that is family friendly and up yo the standards of say a non-hunting wife. Wpuld be taking my 5month old pup on hos 2nd pheasant trip, but also bringing the family dog to hang around the cabin, hunt morning and evening and enjoy the family during the day. Just a couple day trip...

Anybody have any recs or done anythig similar in the past?

TSAMP

WKR
What about zipping over to MN or WI northwoods and doing a cabin. Book a musky guide and try to boat a toothy critter a couple mornings. Maybe try grouse with your dog on some of the walking trails in the NF. Sounds like a good time to me.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
What about zipping over to MN or WI northwoods and doing a cabin. Book a musky guide and try to boat a toothy critter a couple mornings. Maybe try grouse with your dog on some of the walking trails in the NF. Sounds like a good time to me.
Given the OP said "around christmas" i don't think open water muskies are an option.

There are a lot of hunting lodges in SD. Many are well appointed and would be comfortable for non-hunting family. Not knowing your budget, I'd hate to throw up recommendations that excite your eyes but hurt your wallet. For something a little more varied than just pheasants, I'd suggest looking at operations around Webster, Clark, Watertown, or Desmet, and find a place that offers some ice fishing as well. Pheasant hunting might not be as good as in the prime pheasant belt, but you can do a 1/2 day or 1 day guided fishing excursion with the whole family.

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
Look up Jarrod Fredricks with South Dakota Fishing Guide. They have a few places and land to hunt for DIY. They are located around Estilline, SD. Jarrod is a good guy. His # is 605-201-7299

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Look up Jarrod Fredricks with South Dakota Fishing Guide. They have a few places and land to hunt for DIY. They are located around Estilline, SD. Jarrod is a good guy. His # is 605-201-7299
SD is as far as we're driving witb an 18 month old kiddo in the truck.

I doubt a VRBO or hunting lodge will be much more than a stay in steamboat this time of year, so please do throw out some recs for nice accomodations. We've only got 2-3 nights, max.

Interested in pheasant only, ice fishing just doesnt peak my interest (no offence to those who enjoy it) but i appreciate the thought/suggestion.

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
With the young dog and family I would go preserve route. Thunderstik lodge in chamberlain is a nice place. There are some preserves by Aberdeen to.Late season wild birds on public land are a good way to ruin a young dog especially one that young .Just remember being in a little town in Sodak isn’t much to do family wise. Also that time of year weather could be nice (high of 20) or you will think your in Antarctica .

Ten Bears

WKR
Had a trip planned to SC for some low country redfishing around christmas. Our dog sitter just bailed (family coming in, can't blame her) and now we've got the dogs and a 2 year old we cant leave alone. We live in CO so no desire to drive to a mtn town and spend 3-4x's regular prices qto get a VRBO and hang out.

Im toying with finding a hunting lodge or cabin type outfit (on private or near public, dont matter) that is family friendly and up yo the standards of say a non-hunting wife. Wpuld be taking my 5month old pup on hos 2nd pheasant trip, but also bringing the family dog to hang around the cabin, hunt morning and evening and enjoy the family during the day. Just a couple day trip...

Anybody have any recs or done anythig similar in the past?

Just tried to find something similar for the wife and her sister that they could still have fun while the dog and I hunted birds over new years weekend. Tons of places in SD, tough to narrow down. So I searched for Beretta Trident and/or Orvis rated lodges. Signature Lodge stood out. Some of these places get pricey and don't want to only provide lodging without adding in the cost of a guided hunt (which I have zero need for).

So we ended up basing out of Omaha (they have really nice hotels and great food), I am hunting Iowa and Nebraska (not as risky weather wise either as SD) while the ladies can find plenty to do. Having a city as base helped the planning a ton. Just food for thought.

jmez

WKR
Omaha is nice. Not much of anything for birds around there.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
Are you talking right now? The days are short right now. There is barely enough time in the day for a morning and evening hunt with family time during the day. That's not to say that you can't pull it off, but morning and evening hunts tend to blend together this time of year. I've taken my wife on trips like that where she stays in a hotel and when I do make it back, I'm beat and falling asleep. Spring turkey hunts are a little easier because the days are so long compared to late pheasant.

It's just something to consider if your serious about the hunting.

jmez

WKR
Not sure about the hat area. Grew up in SE NE. Still have a lot of friends around Omaha, there really aren't any birds. Can expect to see 1, 2 at most in a full day hunting.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
SD is as far as we're driving witb an 18 month old kiddo in the truck.

I doubt a VRBO or hunting lodge will be much more than a stay in steamboat this time of year, so please do throw out some recs for nice accomodations. We've only got 2-3 nights, max.

Interested in pheasant only, ice fishing just doesnt peak my interest (no offence to those who enjoy it) but i appreciate the thought/suggestion.

Jarrod doesn't just do fishing....he offers fully guided pheasant hunt as well as has tons of farms to turn you loose on for you to hunt on your own. He is a full service outfitter for deer/turkey/pheasant/and fishing. Just FYI. Have fun wherever you go.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Thanks Steve...but they're booked up for 2021.

I'm really just looking for nice place to stay...don't want a guided hunt, but would like to find a nice lodge, cabin or VRBO to stay in, don't mind paying a fee to hunt private, but public land will do as well.

Sounds like a need a 5th wheel. Best I can find in many of those towns for accommodations is a Super 8...wife won't go for that, and I'd rather tent it than sleep in a 1 star motel.

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
Thanks Steve...but they're booked up for 2021.

I'm really just looking for nice place to stay...don't want a guided hunt, but would like to find a nice lodge, cabin or VRBO to stay in, don't mind paying a fee to hunt private, but public land will do as well.

Sounds like a need a 5th wheel. Best I can find in many of those towns for accommodations is a Super 8...wife won't go for that, and I'd rather tent it than sleep in a 1 star motel.
December in south dakota and a camper you will look at that 1 star like a 5 star an ice lodge would be a better option . Its funny people dont understand how country it is when you get out here. Our big towns are a small suburb in cities . I live 100 miles from the nearest wallmart in any direction. If you want good hunting and isolation we are the place. Stuff for the wife and kids to do in december unless they like ice skating or ice fishing or just freezing in general its a tough sell. Just looking at the 10 day highs in the 20's and lows in single digits actually pretty balmy for december.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
I'd likely look at an Airbnb or VRBO in the Mitchell areas and go hunt public. 1000s of acres of CREP land within an hour of Mitchell and anything that has habitat with ag land near it will hold birds. They hayed most of the CRP as it was released d/t the drought, but birds can still be killed. If you're coming from CO though I'm guessing your driving past quite a few pheasants in Nebraska to get to SD as well.

I prefer late season roosters in SD, half the people and still plenty of birds that sit just tight enough for my golden. I'm headed out myself over New Years for 3 days to end my pheasant season.

Last edited:
I've seen a fair bit of South Dakota and can't imagine anywhere that your wife will enjoy watching the kid while you hunt in late December.

Maybe one of the golf/hunt resorts on Oahe? I forget the name of one, somewhat near Gettysburg.

It's a pretty good haul from Colorado to get up there. I would personally want more than a couple days.

KurtR

WKR
I've seen a fair bit of South Dakota and can't imagine anywhere that your wife will enjoy watching the kid while you hunt in late December.

Maybe one of the golf/hunt resorts on Oahe? I forget the name of one, somewhat near Gettysburg.

It's a pretty good haul from Colorado to get up there. I would personally want more than a couple days.
Sutton Bay is closed for the season. There are a few lodges around there but nothing for wife and kids.