Family mountain camping/scouting

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I am from the midwest and my family has never seen the mountains. This summer I am thinking of taking the family out west. Colorado looks to be the closest place with great terrain. I am looking for some ideas of where to take the family (kids 5,10, wife) that would provide them a good opportunity to see what the mountains have to offer. We are on the better half of physically fit, but nothing special. I'd prefer not to be near a city or around people, but to have options for food/fuel,etc daily. We prefer rustic camping as well.

Now here's the good part. I would love to scout an area that I could hunt. Maybe take a day trip for myself and go scout some country. Maybe use a trail and scout with the family. I'd like to think of it as 75% show the family camping out west and 25% I'm scouting an area.

I have hunted Montana a couple times, successfully, for elk. Which taught me a lot.

To boil it down: Where can we camp as a family in Colorado and see what beauty it has to offer, while also being in/somewhat-near a place I can OTC hunt. PM's/discussion welcome.