Family road trip BC to AK, recommend some stops along the way

KBC

WKR
We have 3.5-4 weeks this summer for a family road trip through BC to Alaska and back. I know there are lots of you out there who have done this type of trip so I'm looking for recommendations on things to do or places to stop along the way. We'll be towing our 23' travel trailer so it's pretty much a pavement trip. It will be my wife and I and our two kids (7 and 1 year old).

Right now we are thinking we will stop for a night or two at interesting places along the way but once we get to Alaska try and stay in one spot for a bit longer and do a bit more exploring in that area. The trip starts and ends about an hour east of Vancouver.

One note; No fishing. I'm one of those weird people with severe allergies so I can't fish. I'm sure there are great fishing adventures to be had, and I'd love to do them but unfortunately it's not for me.

Cheers!

I'd go up HW37 and return via the Alaska Hwy or vice versa. You will see different parts of BC/Yukon/Alberta that way. Also can take several routes into Alaska (the HWY vs thru Dawson) and go thru Fairbanks, then down to Anchorage and return via Glenn Allen. Good luck on having a great trip. I'd google a bunch of sites about the Yukon and Alaska as well as N BC and see what sounds good to your family. Have fun!

VernAK

WKR
Take your time in BC and YT.....lotsa interesting stops along the way and not many people. Kenai Peninsula gets kinda crowded in summer.

Drive into Atlin and down to Skagway.

Reactions: KBC

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Food:
Don’t know how close you are to Toad River Lodge but I always hit that place on the way through. Good food there.

Fast Eddies in Tok is an old standby.

Grab some sourdough pancakes in Talkeetna.

In Anchorage hit Moose’s Tooth for pizza.

Sights:
The whole drive is awesome. The “All Trails” app is awesome for location specific trail info. There’s lots of hiking to be had along the way. Spend some time in Denali, it’s a bit of a tourist trap but an amazing place. If you’re into raft trips, there’s plenty of trips worth hitting.

PM me if you have any questions. Even though I live in Palmer now, I was born and raised in Glennallen and I’ve spent a ton of time on the Tok Road.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
I'd go up HW37 and return via the Alaska Hwy or vice versa. You will see different parts of BC/Yukon/Alberta that way. Also can take several routes into Alaska (the HWY vs thru Dawson) and go thru Fairbanks, then down to Anchorage and return via Glenn Allen. Good luck on having a great trip. I'd google a bunch of sites about the Yukon and Alaska as well as N BC and see what sounds good to your family. Have fun!

Yes we were thinking we would go one way and then the other coming home.

Looks like we have to hit up some hot springs as well.

87TT

WKR
Dang that sounds like fun. Kind of a bucket list thing for me too.

slatty

WKR
Lots of different routes you can take through interior BC with great stops along the way with lots of camping options. Depending what you're into here's some stuff to see:
- BC has a "hot springs route"
- ainsworth hot springs is pretty cool, hot caves to swim in
- there are a few small, free ferries to take. from nakusp north to revelstoke is one
- i've never been to liard hot springs but have heard lots and agree that sounds like something not to miss if you're headed that way
- you could PM me if any questions about stuff in the kootenays
Mike

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
Part way up highway 37, at Mesiadian Junction you can take a side tour into Hyder Alaska. I think its about 45 minutes. There is a small camp ground called Camp Run a Muck. Leave your trailer there and drive up to the Salmon Glacier - it's beautiful. In Hyder there is a small resturant called "The Bus". They have the best deep fried haibut I've ever had....if the others in your family like fish.....

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
Part way up highway 37, at Mesiadian Junction you can take a side tour into Hyder Alaska. I think its about 45 minutes. There is a small camp ground called Camp Run a Muck. Leave your trailer there and drive up to the Salmon Glacier - it's beautiful. In Hyder there is a small resturant called "The Bus". They have the best deep fried haibut I've ever had....if the others in your family like fish.....
Last summer I took my "bucket list" solo motorcycle trip to AK. I took the same route mostly (into Hyder for lunch, Up the Cassiar to the ALCAN). The bus has GREAT food. Was well worth it.

I took a last minute detour at Whitehorse up through Dawson, then went over Top of the World Hwy, down through Chicken and into Tok. Then up into Fairbanks, took the Dalton up to the Arctic Circle to visit the mosquitoes. Then down to Valdez. Finally over to the Kenai Pen to visit my dad for a couple weeks. Road back on the ALCAN. Was a great trip. Too many great things to see. But the Cassiar Hwy is remote and beautiful.

Bring bug dope and spare tires....bring extra bug dope and spare tires. AAA is highly recommended. Liard Hotsprings is indeed a must stopover...wonderful pools, fun boardwalk and playground for kids, nice campsites. Get there before 10 PM, or gate will be locked. Stop in Ft. Nelson and let kids swim and play at the new rec centre, it is fantastic...eat at Boston Pizza there, best food in town. +1 on Toad River gas and gifts, it's a fun stop and you'll probably need to fill up there anyway. Johnson's Crossing bakery is a great place to stretch the legs and grab a snack. Keep the camera ready, you will see lots of wildlife, mostly between Ft. Nelson and Whitehorse. Deadman Lake just over the AK line is a good place to camp...free sites, canoes available, easy walking paths...buggy but fun. Fast Eddys in Tok is not to be missed. Talkeetna is awesome, we are headed there in July. Denali and Steese highways are epic drives, with jaw-dropping scenery, quiet turnouts, and great hiking. Chena Hotsprings is very nice. The Sealife Center in Seward is unbelievably cool....Girdwood's rain forest trails are stunning....

OP
K

KBC

WKR
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. It's starting to look like I should have booked 2 months off.

If stopping in smithers. Tyhee lake prov park is good for rv camping, has a little beach area for swimming/playground. Crater lake (up the ski hill road) is a nice short hike that a 7y/o can do without trouble. I assume you'll be bringing a child carrier for the 1y/o.
Prepare for bugs in the north that time of year...lots of bugs

OP
K

KBC

WKR
Please bring your credit card and some anti-nausea pills ‘cause our gas prices will definitely make you sick and will cost you a small fortune.
I know I'm outside of the GVRD so it's a bit cheaper but it's still $1.58ish /L down the road. I usually fill up in Sumas WA and save about $30 a tank after the exchange.

On a bear related note, I'm thinking about bringing my 870 along. It has a 14" barrel. Will this be an issue going into the USA? I've heard they have some shotgun barrel length laws so would I be better off putting an 18" one on?

OP
K

KBC

WKR
Dang that sounds like fun. Kind of a bucket list thing for me too.
Get on it, you aren't getting any younger.

It is almost a perfect time for us to do this trip though, I have been pretty flexible with my work about travelling lately so they have been pretty flexible letting me take time off. My wife is on maternity leave until late summer so it seemed like the perfect time to get off our asses and do some of these things.

I know I'm outside of the GVRD so it's a bit cheaper but it's still $1.58ish /L down the road. I usually fill up in Sumas WA and save about $30 a tank after the exchange.

On a bear related note, I'm thinking about bringing my 870 along. It has a 14" barrel. Will this be an issue going into the USA? I've heard they have some shotgun barrel length laws so would I be better off putting an 18" one on?
Barrel needs to be greater than 16" for long guns.