Family tent “car camping”

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking for a basic family tent, I was looking at Coleman sundome 6 and Slumberjack daybreak 6. Any other options.?
The wife and I used to use. Sundome 4 but now we got 2 small ones, so I’d like something that holds 2 Queen size air mats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seth

WKR
We’ve used Eureka tents for general family camping for the past 13 years or so. The first, a tetragon, lasted about 10 years with very regular use. We are using a Copper Canyon now. Plenty of room for cots or mats, and it goes up quickly. The tetragon held up better to weather, but I have no real complaints on the CC.

I’ve got one of the larger Big Agnes tents for boat/car camping with three kids. Use my Kodiak when it’s colder out. Love both of em, lemme know if you want more details and I’ll get em. Expert Voice has BA with good pricing.

We use an REI kingdom 8 that I got at a garage sale. It's very nice, though we don't use it enough to provide feed back on longevity.

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kodiak 10x14 and an REI Base Camp 6. Both have stood up to bad weather. Are you camping in an area where high winds and heavy precipitation are a problem? If not any Coleman will work, just be sure to guy it out.

fmyth

WKR
Kodiak if you are going to be in one spot for a week or longer. Gazelle for quick one or two nighters. I can set my Gazelle up in under 5 minutes and that includes the rain fly.

Blasphemy around here but I use a Coleman cabin tent. It was $150 and has lasted through a dozen Cub Scout trips and lightweight weekend adventures. Sets up in two minutes and has plenty of room for two air mattresses. Room enough to stand up and change clothes. It wouldn’t handle bad rain or wind but if conditions were that bad my ole lady would pack up and head to a hotel anyway.

sure, I would love to get a big ticket tent but until my kids and wife are more into camping, I am glad I didn’t spend the big money.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the REI Kingdom tents. My family has camped for years in a Kingdom 6. Easy to set up, great usable space with high roofline and vertical walls, lots of ventilation and it packs into a backpack. Not designed specifically for winter or high winds, but I have guyed it out and battened it down for both and got by.

How much is your budget, how often will you use it and in what kinda conditions? How much room do you want? Lotsa choices...

JGTWI

WKR
Classified Approved
We’ve used Eureka tents for general family camping for the past 13 years or so. The first, a tetragon, lasted about 10 years with very regular use. We are using a Copper Canyon now. Plenty of room for cots or mats, and it goes up quickly. The tetragon held up better to weather, but I have no real complaints on the CC.

I camp with a family member who uses the Eureka CC tent, and it is really nice and spacious and goes up easy. I have a Kodiak canvas, but if I was in the market for a lighter weight family tent I would strongly consider the Eureka.

Pro953

WKR
Honestly for car camping I would go larger than a 6. We had a 8 and recently moved to a 10. Remember the kids grow fast and they add a lot more luggage to life.

I do not have enough experience across brands to speak of durability.

I have a 8p teepee that is fun for family backpacking but as most car camp spots we use can be dusty I do not really like floorless/tarp option for car camp trips. It just never worked well for us.

Good luck and get those little ones camping before the discover electronics.

Gorp2007

WKR
The REI Kingdom 6 will hold 2 queen sized air mattresses. I've used ours a bunch in a variety of weather and it's a champ. The higher walls are also great if you want to put a pack-n-play in there. It's water tight when set up properly and the garage attachment is excellent for shoe, gear, and travel bathroom* storage. Last month I fit me (6'), my dad (6' 2"), my 6 y/o and my 3 y/o all in the Kingdom 6 and we had plenty of room but dad and I kept our bags out in the vestibule. You can easily sleep a family of four in comfort with a Kingdom 6, but I'd go 8 if I were doing it all over again because more space is more better. It's not like you're counting ounces at that point. I'll post some pics later.

*OXO Tot 2-in-1 Go Potty is a lifesaver if you're camping in the front country with little kids, ESPECIALLY if they're in the potty training phase.

Last edited:

Steelhead

FNG
for my family of 3 plus dog I went through a couple dome tents but ended up with the Kodiak Canvas 10x10 and never looked back. Plenty of room inside for cots, mattress, even coolers, stove, buddy heater etc. I'm in Idaho and the weather changes often and fast. We've been stuck inside for several hours due to snow storm and were able to hang out comfortably since youre able to stand up, sit in a chair or cot, play games and cook food without walking around on your knees or crawling over people etc. Setup is not difficult once you do it a couple times. Takes 15 minutes.
May not fit your family needs depending on kids ages, weather and terrain, but for car- camping with wife, kids it has been a pretty good addition for us.

Clarence

WKR
I just upgraded from a sundome 6. It lasted 11 years. Don't ask too much from it, and use a tarp as a footprint, and it's ok. Good ventilation, but a small fly and not a tent you want for tough weather...but if that came we were headed home or not going anyway at the time.. I didn't like how you have to fish long tent poles through the sleeves on the tent. The pole would catch on the sleeve. I think this is a common design on cheaper tents. It was nice having a inexpensive tent with small children. Didn't worry about them jacking it up ramming around in it!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Westmjk

FNG
We use a Big Agnes bunkhouse 6 with a family of 5. Space is good most of the time. Some gear is stored in the car.

I have a Sundome 6 and Alaskan Guide 8 person tent. The Sundome 6 is not big enough for two queen mattresses. They might physically fit in there, but it will take up most of the floor. The side walls will be running up on anyone sleeping on the outside sides of the tent. The 8-person Guide is plenty big enough for what is but is overkill for most family camping.

If I did it again, I’d go with a 10x14 Kodiak Canvas or the 9x12 with the enclosed patio thingy.

If you’re not looking to spend that much and aren’t camping in severe weather or snow, just get any decent tent that is 140ish sq ft.

We have used our Kodiak canvas 10x14 for years now. I found it new in the box on local classifieds for $450. It offers plenty of room for my family and setup and take down is simple. It is bulky and heavy so you would want plenty of room to get it where you are going. But it will withstand whatever you throw at it as long as you make sure the base is staked down tight.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
How much is your budget, how often will you use it and in what kinda conditions? How much room do you want? Lotsa choices...

Few weekends a year, good weather have wife and kids prob $250 max.

Leaning pretty hard at the Coleman sundome 6, already have the 4, not great but it works.