Family tent

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking for a backpacking tent that would fit me, my wife, daughter (11) and son (7).
I would like to take the family hiking and do a couple overnight trips this year. I need it to be light because I will be carrying some of their gear along with mine.
Hopefully some of you guys have done this kind of trip and have some pointers.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shangri la 5 would be a good fit. I have slept my family of four, 2 small kids for 8 days in a sl3 it was tight but we made it work.

Beastmode

WKR
We have a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL4. Light and roomy for 4. Two very good size vestibles. Very happy with this tent! I think it is one of the best 3 season floored shelter.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've slept my wife, myself, my sister, and her husband in the SL-5 w/nest comfortably. For 5.5 pounds its a palace for 4 people no doubt...

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Right now the SL-5 is the front runner. I really like the options I would have with that tent. It looks like it would work perfect for what I have in mind.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking at the Nemo Pentalite which is a 4 person tipi tent with a vestibule, I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm close. It has gotten some great reviews. Might want to take a look at this light-weight tent.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've been looking at the Nemo Pentalite which is a 4 person tipi tent with a vestibule, I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm close. It has gotten some great reviews. Might want to take a look at this light-weight tent.

Got one coming and gonna put a stove jack in it....I'll keep ya posted when it arrives.

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
Got one coming and gonna put a stove jack in it....I'll keep ya posted when it arrives.

I'm curious what the pack weight is for this vs the SL 5 with just the fly? I know the Nemo doesn't come with a nest, which doesn't bother me since I wouldn't use it anyway. But the promotive pricing and availability of the Nemo got my attention.

MIKEYB

WKR
Luke

Interested in hearing why you pulled the trigger on the nemo pentalite? I have been wanting a SL5 since the were out of stock last year. I don't think I'm getting accepted at promotive but have found a deal on the pentalite that would put it under the retail cost of the SL5. They look comparable with the pentalite being slightly heavier? It lists a 30d fabric and I believe Sl-5 has 15D. Nemo lists 77Sqft floor with 20Sqft vestible. I guessing thats a total of 97Sqft. compared to the Sl5's 90sqft. Looks like I am pulling the trigger on the pentalite based on my budget. Was curious on your thoughts.