Family Vacation/Elk and Mule Deer Scouting Trip/Fishing too!!

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys and gals,

Looking at maybe driving out to Glenwood Springs this summer on a family vacation/camping/elk and mule deer scouting/fishing trip lol. Anyway I have several questions, and was hoping some of you all could help me out.

1. My two options on dates going are July 1 thru the 8th, and June 17 thru 24th. Which dates would be better? As far as temperatures and access to back country hiking/camping etc.

2. I plan on scouting out potential places for a DIY Elk or Mule deer hunt in the future, possibly in the surrounding units 34, 444, 43, 47, 35, and 33. If anyone has any info they would like to PM me about these areas, or potential spots to check out in these areas feel free. I have google earth scouted 34 quiet a bit lol, dont know if I am wasting my time or not though doing that, looks like rough country in the canyons round there.

3. Speaking of google scouting that area i Have seen several lakes up behind Glenwood springs in the mtns, are these worth fishing? Deer Lake, Haypress Lake, Yellow Lake, Blue Lake, Ute Lake, Duck Lake, Grizzly Lake, Monument Lake, Palmer Lake, and Heart Lake......I am sure there are more smaller ones too. Do the feeder streams for these have trout in them as well?

4. And last but not least, just some general info about the area, good places to eat, some activites for a husband and wife and a 5 year old and 2 year old to do and see!! thanks!! oh and any good recomendations for camping spots too!!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Glen, it somewhat depends on weapon and season you'd prefer to hunt. If you're hunting 3rd and 4th seasons, you'll need to learn different country than if you're hunting the early archery or muzzleloader seasons. Which are you thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Glen, it somewhat depends on weapon and season you'd prefer to hunt. If you're hunting 3rd and 4th seasons, you'll need to learn different country than if you're hunting the early archery or muzzleloader seasons. Which are you thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likely yes 2nd or 3rd seasons, rifle OTC

You said OTC. I have to ask if you want to deer hunt, you put in right? There are no OTC deer tags.

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
You said OTC. I have to ask if you want to deer hunt, you put in right? There are no OTC deer tags.

Oh i am not planning the hunting trip for this year, as far as hunting I am talking next year at earliest, sorry for the confusion. just thought it would be a good opportunity to see the land before actually going there to hunt