Family vacation to Wyoming and Montana, looking for suggestions

work765

WKR
Looking for any good vacation tips to Wyoming and Montana in the month of August.
It will be our first time traveling there and staying for a week. I'm taking my 8 yr old son, and a friend.
We are flying into Bozeman.
Do you guys have any must see places for a first timer with his fam?
My plans are to fly fish a couple days, do a canoe trip one day, and then probably do some touristy type stuff. I still need to do a lot of research as to where fish and canoe, etc..

ChrisS

WKR

CArcher

FNG
Actually just did a trip like this last 2 weeks ago. The museum of the rockies is a cool spot for kids and adults with all the dinosaur fossils and other exhibits, right there by Montana state. Obviously yellowstone and the tetons are righ there. It was my first trip to that area too and I would go back to the tetons in a heartbeat. Old faithful is pretty busy but since youre there you may as well see it and its not too far of a drive from Bozeman. If youre thinking of canoeing or rafting, the float trip we did on the Snake river through teton national park was beautiful, but a little far if you are just staying in Bozeman. Jackson is pretty touristy and busy but if you have time to get down that way you can check out the national elk refuge, no elk there right now granted but still really neat. Lots of thing to do in that area, you cant go wrong really with whatever you choose to do.

Mosby

WKR
The drive up to Kootenai Falls is awesome. Beautiful place. Moose's Saloon in Kalispell is a fun place to have lunch and get a t-shirt.

jags

FNG
Not sure where in Wy your might be traveling but the Sturgis bike rally will be going on in August, the NE corner of the state (Devil's Tower) will be jammed with bikes.

Yellowstone / Teton NP are great places to visit/drive through and do somethings. Jackson Lake Dam is an easy place to pull in for some spin fishing for the boys and should catch some fish. You need a special license to fish in Yellowstone I believe but not in Teton NP.

Wind River Canyon is a nice drive through with some possible fishing below the dam. Down through the canyon you need a tribal license to fish and they have float / rafting trips there as well.

OP
W

work765

WKR
Thanks guys for all the ideas. And the link above had a ton of suggestions definitely going to check out Luis and Clark caverns and maybe one of the float trips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Lodge is a couple of hours from Bozeman and a pretty cool place. It's like Jackson Hole from 20 rears ago.

The pig races every weekend in Bear Creek is another awesome place and a good steak.

In Cody, Wy you have the Buffalo Bill Museum and the Irma Hotel for a Prime Rib buffet. The hotel still has a bully he in the ceiling.

The Chief Joseph Highway is open and is one of the prettiest drives in the area.

Most of all have a fun time.

OP
W

work765

WKR
Anyone have a recommendation for somewhere to stay that isn’t outrageously expensive?
Sub $250 a night.
Looking for a cabin or hotel anything clean and fun for the kid, close to Yellowstone Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arrowjunkie

Lil-Rokslider
For what it's worth I spent a week in the Jackson area for a week. The actual town of Jackson was super cool to me although everything is a little pricey. I would go back to Grand Teton in a heart beat but in an unpopular opinion Yellowstone was very underwhelming and I would not go back.

ScottinPA

WKR
We did this 2 years ago. Drove out and spent 2+ weeks.
With only a week and some of your days planned, I'd stay with closer destinations though the driving was part of our adventure.
Museum of Rockies was a spur of the moment stop and worth it.
We stayed in Red Lodge when visiting Yellowstone, cool town and the road into Yellowstone was worth the extra time to the entrance.
Kootenai Falls was awesome but a haul from Bozeman.
National Bison Range was a good stop too.
Spent most of a day in Buffalo Bill's museum of the west in Cody.

Youngest son (12) just asked me about going back, so we may look at that again in a few years.

Last edited:
Dino museum in Bozeman is bad ass
We did a loop down to Jackson and back through the parks. More backpacking but here are some sights.

- west yellow stone - wolf and bear zoo
- Jackson - worth a day
- Teton - 2 days is plenty for front country and you can raft there
- yellow stone - it will take 2-3 days just to see the major sites. Park is friggin huge and traffic can suck. Hard to get an accommodation that time of year. West Yellowstone is an option. The geysers and pool are amazing but they get a little repetitive after a time. Animals in the Lamar valley. The falls. All great.