Fas Top/Softopper/Etc. Experience?

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have experience with using either of these brands or something similar? Looking at getting a topper for my 2011 GMC, but prices of new and the apparent rarity of used around have me looking at other options. Usage would mainly be Spring, Summer and Fall as extra covered storage during travel and truck camping.
Cons I see are durability of "fabric" vs Fiberglass, some security but nothing stops a thief in the end, dust proof-ness.
Pros I like are they are much cheaper than a new topper, lighter and appear easy to install/uninstall.

I'm leaning towards the Fas Top as they are built 3 hours from me and seem like they would do better with dust than Softopper. Open to other brands that are out there as well.

Any other pros and cons from someone who has had one?

TIA

Wellsdw

WKR
Love my Softopper. Great CS. (Answered questions, no issues per say) my truck was driven 25 hrs to Wyoming from NC. 10hrs total in the rain. Stuff stayed dry. As for dust, it’s pretty minimal when your install the Velcro as directed. Security…. Like you said if they can see it, they will fine a way to get to it. Glass, vinyl, doesn’t matter to a thief l.

Erict

WKR
I have a BakFlip hard top on my truck. To control dust, I crawled into the bed of my truck and anywhere there was light coming it I plugged with packing foam. I drove throughout much of SE MT this fall, over 1000 miles, much of it on dirt roads. I would not want to have anything in the bed of that truck that was not in a cooler or otherwise protected, as the dust intrusion was still significant. I have read that the truck bed develops a low pressure that basically "vaccuums" dust into it.

I had a roll up soft tonneau on my prior truck and it worked great for many years, finally succumbing to the effects of sunlight.

pbcarch

WKR
Following this as well. FYI i just learned that either of these systems will NOT work with a decked system. The arm that allows the canopy to fold goes below the decked system top. You would have to cut a hole into the decked to work.

I seem to find plenty of online real reviews of the soft topper but know has done one for the fas top.

Major differences I see so far is fans top comes with a tonneau cover (costs about 150 more) and has all Velcro attachments. Soft top has buttons all around except for the tail gate and end towards the cab.

OP
stank.243

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
Following this as well. FYI i just learned that either of these systems will NOT work with a decked system. The arm that allows the canopy to fold goes below the decked system top. You would have to cut a hole into the decked to work.

I seem to find plenty of online real reviews of the soft topper but know has done one for the fas top.

Major differences I see so far is fans top comes with a tonneau cover (costs about 150 more) and has all Velcro attachments. Soft top has buttons all around except for the tail gate and end towards the cab.
I ended up going with the Fastop system (topper and tonneau). I have had it on for about a month and so far so good. Hasn't leaked with the recent snow and mix storms that we have had come through. One of my worries was it whipping around in high winds or interstate speeds, but I haven't noticed any of that going 80 mph or anything negative in the couple high wind days we have had (40+ mph gusts).
I haven't had a chance to really test the "dust-proofness" of it but would expect it to do really well. I ordered a tailgate seal kit from Amazon that I think should control most of it.
The material seems really nice as well.
If you are in the market for some kind of soft topper I would recommend looking at the Fastop

pbcarch

WKR
Thanks!
So how often have you switched between tonneau and top up?
Does snow/ rain collect in the gap between the back of the cab and front of top? Place where tonneau rolls up
Paul

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
stank.243

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks!
So how often have you switched between tonneau and top up?
Does snow/ rain collect in the gap between the back of the cab and front of top? Place where tonneau rolls up
Paul

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I haven't switched it a ton besides showing some friends how it is done. It is as easy as they say though. I can have it folded down in 2 minutes. Going up might take a minute or 2 more to make sure everything is spot on. Removing and putting the topper back is very easy as well.
Snow has collected in between the cab and topper. There is a pretty good gap (width of the rolled up tonneau) between the cab and topper.

Truck_Topper.jpg

Cheston

FNG
What’s the purpose or the benefit of having both tonneau and topper? Definitely getting one. I thought softopper was the only one, I’m glad there is some competition!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
stank.243

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
What’s the purpose or the benefit of having both tonneau and topper? Definitely getting one. I thought softopper was the only one, I’m glad there is some competition!

For me, I just don't like driving around all the time with the topper up but still like having the tonneau to cover my bed. Basically just a personal preference thing. The topper goes up when I go on hunting or camping trips and gets put down or taken off when I don't need it.

jroot327

FNG
I'll say the softopper is a great top. It has done everything I've wanted, including camping in the back and staying dry. The only downside I could see is security vs. the fiberglass options.

I’ve been trying to figure out something for my Tacoma for a while

With the price of canopies, and how often I actually NEED one this seems perfect.

Love my softopper. I think I like it better than a hard topper. If I need to have an open bed, I just open it up I dont have to get help to take it off.

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
The downside I have with Softopper is it sucks in so much dust. Dust also collection to clear vinyl windows making it nearly impossible to see thru

OP
stank.243

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
The downside I have with Softopper is it sucks in so much dust. Dust also collection to clear vinyl windows making it nearly impossible to see thru
That's also been my experience with the windows on my Fastop. And takes a bit of elbow grease to really get clean again. I was thinking of trying some kind coating like a spray on wax for car detailing. Not sure if it would help with at least cleaning them or not

Cheston

FNG
For me, I just don't like driving around all the time with the topper up but still like having the tonneau to cover my bed. Basically just a personal preference thing. The topper goes up when I go on hunting or camping trips and gets put down or taken off when I don't need it.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

lhough89

FNG
That's also been my experience with the windows on my Fastop. And takes a bit of elbow grease to really get clean again. I was thinking of trying some kind coating like a spray on wax for car detailing. Not sure if it would help with at least cleaning them or not
Do you still have your Fastop and like it? I had an ARE before and am debating getting a Fastop, but I feel like I'll get annoyed with it getting dirty and being tough to clean off and then the windows getting scratched and clowdy. I'm also in AZ where the sun can break things down fairly quickly. Essentially, I'm concerned I'll get a Fastop and then just end up getting another hard shell like a year later anyways. Other concern is ventilation and overall just camping in the bed.

OP
stank.243

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
Do you still have your Fastop and like it? I had an ARE before and am debating getting a Fastop, but I feel like I'll get annoyed with it getting dirty and being tough to clean off and then the windows getting scratched and clowdy. I'm also in AZ where the sun can break things down fairly quickly. Essentially, I'm concerned I'll get a Fastop and then just end up getting another hard shell like a year later anyways. Other concern is ventilation and overall just camping in the bed.
I still have it and like it. I think 90% of the time I’m just using the tonneau though. Topper goes on for trips when I want everything enclosed and weather proof. Everything still works great and I’m happy.
I think if you’re a hard topper person you may not like going to a soft topper. IMO they are for someone like me who doesn’t want a topper most of the year but likes having one for specific times

lhough89

FNG
I still have it and like it. I think 90% of the time I’m just using the tonneau though. Topper goes on for trips when I want everything enclosed and weather proof. Everything still works great and I’m happy.
I think if you’re a hard topper person you may not like going to a soft topper. IMO they are for someone like me who doesn’t want a topper most of the year but likes having one for specific times
I appreciate the info! Totally makes sense. I’m just right on the fence.

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone looked at the Flated inflatable toppers? Opinions? Thinking about one for the ease of storage.

Bill