Fast and Light VS Slow and Heavy for Antelope?

I haven’t hunted antelope with a bow yet and anticipate hunting them in late September spot and stalk with a bow.

My main concern is a speed goat jumping my sting and dodging my arrow (not sure how warranted this concern is).

I’ll be using a mechanical head this year (1.5”-2” cut rear deploying) and anticipate long shots because it will be spot and stalk with a decoy hunting.

Would you guys go with an arrow near 400 grains shooting near 300 FPS or a arrow near 500 grains at near 270 FPS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't really answer that question as I have only hunted antelope twice and can only say they are fast but I do like your user name LOL

Trial153

WKR
I think it doesn’t make a spit load of difference between those two set ups on Lopes.

Jimss

WKR
Another factor may be the wind? If you are hunting Wyo you will likely have 5 to 40 mph winds! There likely is a difference in arrow trajectory in wind? Similar to other game, take shots when the antelope isn't looking directly in your direction. If spot and stalking you will likely be taking longer range shots than if sitting at a waterhole. In late Sept bucks are likely rutting so you can use that to your advantage.....and possibly even use a decoy?

Antelope are relatively small animals. You really don't need to worry about penetration like elk or moose with thick hides, large bones and bodies. Antelope can take a pounding and keep going shot placement is obviously important!

A lot also depends upon how the different arrows shoot with your particular bow. If it were me, it would be more advantageous to shoot faster, flatter arrows...if wind isn't an issue. Wind may be a concern for longer shots with a lighter arrow?

Gumbo

WKR
Slow and heavy always for me. The only benefits to light would be slightly tighter pin gaps and SLIGHTLY less time to impact, i.e. less chance to jump the string. But the benefits of easier broadhead tuning, less wind drift, increased penetration, quieter bow far outweigh the benefits of a faster, lighter arrow IMO. I am an obsessive spot and stalk antelope hunter and shoot a 455 grain arrow at about 280 or so. I'd use choose the heavier arrow for sure.

Go with what's accurate and u have confidence in.
From what I have seen your bow probably wont shoot both of those arrows well.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would run the more accurate arrow for your bow at those kinds of speeds there is really no noticeable difference between the two if he is going to jump your string or not. At least with the more accurate arrow you can shot at longer distance witch is what is really going to mater with spot and stock hunting in my opinion.

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
Just my two cents from someone who has hunted them several times spot and stalk with a bow and has been successful on several occasions. I think either set up you would be fine. I’ve ran a lighter setup (402 grains) the last several years and have had no complaints with the results. I will say I’ve yet to have one jump the string and generally an unsuccessful stalk was from a miss on my end or the animal picking me up last second before the release. I will say antelope are fairly small and every shot I’ve had on one was a complete pass through even out to 73 yards with both mechanical and fixed blade. So if it’s the weight of the arrow not being enough I wouldn’t worry about that as long as you put it where it needs to be. As mentioned above, some areas of Wyoming out in the open the gusts do get up and I experienced that this past year on a shot. Good luck! Always a fun and target enriched environment hunting antelope.

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think it matters. I haven’t had any jump the string. With my set up I’m usually around 415 grains and I think there curious critters that’ll usually watch you for a bit before taking off.

pkp851

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Like a few others have said, whatever is most accurate. I would anticipate a 50 yard shot in a fairly good wind. If you can get that close to them, you have done something impressive already. At that point, whichever arrow you can put it on the money with.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
As others have said go with whatever is the most accurate. Was able to take a lope this year spot and stalk with my bow after 4 days of being denied. One of the most fun and enjoyable hunts I have done. Good luck its humbling at times but a lot more fun than sitting at waterhole.

kcm2

WKR
I have had several antelope jump the string, including two where I aimed at one side quartering away, only to hit the animal on the other side, quartering away. So, yes, their reaction times are amazing.

That being said, I don't think your choice of setup matters one bit here. Both will be more than adequate. Antelope have a high volume circulatory system so if you hit them well, they will die quickly. If you hit them in the mid section, you'll have your work cut out for you. Approaching a wounded antelope in open country with a bow is not easy.

Sled

WKR
faster wins for me. on a totally unaware animal both will work fine. if you have a fast quiet bow, then your choice. i've found by observing them first and seeing their body language will tell if they will "jump the string". by that i mean take off forward, not load up by dropping to jump like a white tail. i shoot lung shots on all animals and to do that i often have to aim for shoulder on pronghorn. though, i do take longer shots with a bow. i prefer to get them in the bed or shoot forward.