Fast twist 22-250 vs 243

letrbuck

WKR
Mulling over the idea of making a switch barrel rifle for my daughter to grow in to. I've got a 7mm-08 Savage that will likely be hers once she is hunting age. My initial idea was get a second stock that is adjustable for LOP and spin on a fast twist 22-250 barrel. The more I'm thinking about it, would a 243 be a better option? If loading 70gr bullets in either, recoil shouldn't be vastly different, and a take off 243 barrel should be easy to come by, and allow more hunting bullet versatility.

The other thought was getting a fast twist 223 first, but like the idea of having just one rifle to get used to and swap barrels when she's ready.

rayporter

WKR
i have had both for varmints. and both perform well but i would lean to the 243. i shoot 55 bal tips at 3900 for p dogs and 85 to 105 gr for long range for deer.
recoil will be minor with light bullets.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
As little difference as I have seen on game between the two with bullets of equal construction I have to ask a few questions for you to reflect upon. How likely is she to reload? Do you already have such an inventory of brass and dies for the .22-250 and enjoy trimming brass so much the 22 creedmoor isn't worth considering? What is your main goal of the .22 or 24 caliber barrel? If a 1-9 twist is fast enough to satisfy the easy button is to have the appropriate reamer run into a factory take off .223 barrel. The .22's are much cheaper for projectiles if that is a concern, the .243 has the advantage of variety of factory ammo, from 55 NBT's to 105 match loads.

Really kind of comes down to you want a rifle you need to reload for to optimize bullet to twist.

Zappaman

WKR
I milled over this a long time and it came down to BC for me. The 243 (for larger deer/pigs) hands down BUT for smaller deer and some nice long-range practice the 22-250 with a 75g amax (now eld) rocks. Along with some RL-26 behind it, the 22-250 just has some amazing range and energy down range. Also, you don't have to buy another mag for the Savage going with a 22-250 (you can use the 7mm08 mag for the 22-250 barrel).

But get a 1-9 twist or it won't hold on COLD days (my 1-10 twist on 40+ degrees is a laser, but falls apart at 32 degrees). Still I use mine for warmer P-dog hunting (out to 500 yards) with a fixed 24x target scope. But for a shorter barrel in a lighter set-up, the 22-250 would be a great first training rig with little recoil and will exceed the 243 in BC (with 75g bullets) and do about as good in the wind (given you are shooting the heavier bullet).

My buddy who is a TV personality (bow hunter) regularly drops January doe here in Kansas (they get big here too) with his 22-250. I've seen him wack several behind the shoulder using a 55g SP bullet. They always drop within 30 yards of the shot and I also have neck/head shot a few deer out to 200 yards myself with my 22-250 off a good set of sticks. I shot my first deer (160lb muley) with a 22mag and so shot placement is what it's all about of course. But for the 75g bullet: a fast twist 22-250 over the 243 (for better BC and downrange energy).