Faster shot cycle.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Anyone ever played with having a much quicker draw to anchor to shot cycle?

I'm talking quick. Like as soon as you get behind the peep you start your push/pull through the shot?

Much like shooting at distance makes the short stuff easy, I'm finding that a fast shot cycle makes for the slower/pinpoint shooting cycles feel so long. So un-rushed.

The fast cycles are helping me acquire the target quickly, settle behind the peep quickly, and actively pull through the shot. Almost to where the draw...to anchor...to shot cycle is happening as one movement.

Anyone else play with this?

Jaquomo

WKR
As a lifelong western trad guy who recently switched to compound in my mid-60s, the quicker cycle is second nature to me. But for guys who learned on compounds, it can be a challenge. Chuck Adams has written a bit about the importance of this, because live animals aren't foam and don't stand there all day.

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t practiced as fast as you’re talking but I sometimes practice getting the arrow off as soon as I settle the pin on the point of aim, similar idea. Or I’ll practice holding full draw off target for various amounts of time and then acquire target and get the arrow off as fast as I can. Or draw, side step (like you might be stepping out from behind a tree or other obstruction) and acquire point of aim and let arrow go as fast as possible. Stuff that could be applicable to hunting situations.

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
Sounds like a recipe to become a drive by trigger puncher in my opinion.
I’ve actually found it to do the opposite

If you punch to complete a quick cycle…you’ll launch it.

Has to be a pull through

Anyone ever played with having a much quicker draw to anchor to shot cycle?

I'm talking quick. Like as soon as you get behind the peep you start your push/pull through the shot?

Much like shooting at distance makes the short stuff easy, I'm finding that a fast shot cycle makes for the slower/pinpoint shooting cycles feel so long. So un-rushed.

The fast cycles are helping me acquire the target quickly, settle behind the peep quickly, and actively pull through the shot. Almost to where the draw...to anchor...to shot cycle is happening as one movement.

Anyone else play with this?
i used to do that exact thing often, but quit doing it.... i am more "nothing in the shot process should be rushed in practice" kind of guy now..... there are a lot of things i used to do in practice that led to bad habits, then drilling bad habits for a lot of years.... now i'm very deliberate, knowing in the woods, i will never forget how to speed up my shot process, but i don't want to practice that way.

BWSmith

FNG
Little over 50 years shooting trad,half or more of that in a professional cabinet shop(ours),building all sorts of stickbows...

Just started shooting compound.

It's a process... stretching your envelope to include shorter anchor times will pay off in the game fields to be sure. As will longer holds. Each rig will represent challenges. I work on being smooth,with as little... "off target" as possible. From the start of the draw cycle to release,I work on keeping the arrow and sights pointed at the "10". I'm comfortable shooting around 65#'s.... with an 80% letoff.

Not gonna comment on target panic or punching releases.... to me it is a seperate issue.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've always been a fast shooter with a compound. The longer I wait, the more it degrades. Draw, anchor, pin where I want it, release. Yes, I am a command shooter. It's always worked for me. I could easily shoot 3D with the trad guys, and not slow them down a bit.

nphunter

WKR
I do both, typically in hunting situations I try to focus on a steady slow shot, I'm more accurate, and the way your mind works always centering the pin on the target your odds of hitting the spot are increased by shooting with a surprise release.

I also shoot trad and am not a snap shooter, I have a clicker on me recurve, and when I slowly pull while focusing on my target I shoot way better than snap shooting. I shoot instinctively with my recurve.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I like to shoot as fast as I can. I have no reason to hold my bow on target longer than I have to when a shot is present. As soon as the pin settles on the target, a controlled release is always more accurate for me than a surprise release.

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot fast, Command shooter also. Actually did a 5 arrow 70 yard group challenge last night that is going around on instagram. You have to video it from a phone Skope etc. From the time I pushed play until I pushed stop on the camera, the video was only 90 seconds long for 5 arrows at 70 yards. Try it, that is pretty fast.