Fat boy clothing

ICantHunt

FNG
I’m going on my first elk hunt in September. I’m down 40 pounds so far, and plan to continue to lose weight. I’m looking for hunting clothes for the big man, I wear a 2x in regular clothing on top and wear a 42x32 pant size. I have huge thighs (genetics) so I’m trying to avoid “athletic” build clothing. Cheaper is better as I’m a college student, but I’m willing to spend on pants with knee pads if I need to. I’ll be hunting September Colorado elk. I did use the search button before this, but I’d like to hear more focused opinions on baggier clothing for those with thunder thighs. Thanks everyone!!

https://pnumaoutdoors.com/collections/pnuma-outlet/products/tenacity-pant
i have there tenacity gaiter pants pretty solid breathable pants

i got them in 36 for extra room but i'm normally a 34 but with body builder thighs

Welcome, fellow husky hunter. I am 6’3“ 250#. I lift a good bit. I wear 38 jeans and XL sweat pants but need to go 40 or even 42 and xxl in some hunting brands to get enough room for my ass and thighs. here is a run down of some of my experience.

- Kuiu make some of my favorite pants but they have slimmed their cut down in the last 5 years. Their attack pant is probably my favorite but I can’t say I have a lot of extra room in a set of 40s.
- If they fit you, a pair of Sitka mountain pants or timberlines will last for years but you pay for them upfront.
- First lite corrugates and obsidians are strong options. Their XL waist works for me but I ended up with XXl for the room in the seat and thighs.
- prana zions are my favorite non hunting brand.
- cabelas had some strong options for big boys but I am not current on their offerings. I am sure they are durable enough to get you through an occasional elk hunt.
- Duluth trading is one of my favorite workwear companies and they have some nylon and hiking pants that are also worth looking at. They also haven’t gone down the skinny jeans rabbit hole like a lot of the hunting and hiking brands.

if you are set on knee pads, look at arcteryx knee caps. Most people tend to regard them as some of the best knee pads available. They are comfortable enough to wear for long miles and long hours and still protect very well.

good luck and remember, it is not fat, it is power.

Michael54

WKR
I'm about the same size as you. First lites 2xl base layers fit me perfect. As do skre pants. I have a swazi the hood fleece that i can easily layer under or over, Columbia tall puffy, and arctix tundra ballistic pants are bomproof for an extra insulating layer for your legs. All can be had for under $450 if you watch for sales. The most expensive item is probably the fl base layer set.

Following this. I have been debating for months wether I can get into a XXL Kifaru LPP full zip. I run 6'5'' and right at 300. I am barrel chested and don't have much a a "beer belly" and waist runs at a 40; most things just don't fit like they should for me.

valtteri

FNG
One option is Fjällraven. I wear 40” or 42” jeans at 6’ 3”/270-280. Most of that is in my thighs as well. I’ve been using the Fjällraven Vidda Pro pants in european size 60 (41-42”) and the legs are roomy. In fact I can layer thick merino long johns for winter and still have room in the thighs.

@fleshman78 I have a Kifaru LPP in XXL and I would say it’s pretty roomy. I have about a 46-47” chest and there’s plenty of room everywhere. I layer with it so the XXL is a good size but if I didn’t layer, the XL would most likely fit as well. I can fit a really thick wool sweater under the XXL LPP, that’s how roomy it is for me.

For reference, all my Arcteryx jackets are XXL as well.

I tried to find a photo of me and the LPP/Fjällraven and this is the only one I had. In fact I am wearing the XXL LPP and size 41-42” Fjällraven Vidda Pro. Not really that helpful but better than nothing I guess.

Attachments

• C2D44D90-AFD9-4E9D-B45B-B8B36F4688C6.jpeg
    C2D44D90-AFD9-4E9D-B45B-B8B36F4688C6.jpeg
    705.4 KB · Views: 37
OP
I

ICantHunt

FNG
One option is Fjällraven. I wear 40” or 42” jeans at 6’ 3”/270-280. Most of that is in my thighs as well. I’ve been using the Fjällraven Vidda Pro pants in european size 60 (41-42”) and the legs are roomy. In fact I can layer thick merino long johns for winter and still have room in the thighs.

@fleshman78 I have a Kifaru LPP in XXL and I would say it’s pretty roomy. I have about a 46-47” chest and there’s plenty of room everywhere. I layer with it so the XXL is a good size but if I didn’t layer, the XL would most likely fit as well. I can fit a really thick wool sweater under the XXL LPP, that’s how roomy it is for me.

For reference, all my Arcteryx jackets are XXL as well.

I tried to find a photo of me and the LPP/Fjällraven and this is the only one I had. In fact I am wearing the XXL LPP and size 41-42” Fjällraven Vidda Pro. Not really that helpful but better than nothing I guess.
Thank you! This helps a lot! I’d like to find a used pair of the fl corrugate pants XXL if I can, but those fjallravens look like they’d do the job just as well

I’m 6’5” 310 and struggle to find things that fit! Most brands have cut there lines down and don’t have 3xl tall. Or what gets me is the 42 waist with 28 inseam!! Lol

Prana Zions will fit you fine, the fit is very relaxed and they are super stretchy. Kuiu Tiburons will fit you too and are a step up in durability and quality over the Zions. Both are highly breathable light weight warm weather early season type pants. I wear both around town as my daily wear my favorite being the Zions.

No other Kuiu pants will fit you because they have slim fitting legs that taper even thinner below the knee. Nearly zero extra material at the calf. I can pinch exactly 1/2" of extra material on my new Kuiu Kutana pants. Fits almost like spandex below the knee.

I tried the Walmart Wrangler pants recently and they fit exactly like the Kuiu Kutanas, VERY SLIM in the lower leg yuck. I've read there are two different styles of these Wrangler pants regular and skinny jeans fit, but the only ones I've found are all the same tight leg fit.

Last edited:

Brett01b

FNG
Honestly I’d look more for pants with good stretch instead of “baggy” pants. I’m 6’3 260 and workout a handful of times a week but have a little dad bod mid section. I have big thighs and ass, once I got comfortable with snuggle gear with stretch I’d never go with anything baggy again. Just my 2 cents bud..... good luck on your trip.
ps the Sitka timberline pants are #1

Sitka is the only major line that makes 3xL and 44R pant....or at least they told me they’re resuming production of them for 2021! I’m 6’1....325!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the same issue, now I wear the timberlines in a 42 with the suspenders ... they fit wicked even though I could get away with a 40 or even a 38 waist.

I also don't get hung up on the camo ... picked up a wicked pair of grey soft shell pants at Costco for 20 bucks and as other have mentioned wrangler outdoor pant.

The other advantages big guys have is the clearance racks or discount online shops are usually stocked with XXL down and outdoor clothing. My rule is I don't buy anything for less than 50% off and I would argue I have a very well equipped closet of gear... not all camo but performance wise as good as any,

Hondo

WKR
Ditto on Brett01b comment about putting the emphasis on the fabric stretch versus a more loose cut. I have big thighs and often discover if I find a pant that is roomy in the thigh it is more than often too big in the waist and hips. Keep in mind that some pants with stretchy fabrics tend to stretch out some over multi-day hunt making a good belt and/or suspenders a greater necessity. I like the Marsupial Stretch Web belt and suspenders from Sitka or First Lite.

Among the pants that work well for me for early-mid season are:
First Lite Corrugate (stretchy & durable fabric and roomier cut than Kuiu or Sitka)
Prana Stretch Zion ( good pants that can generally be found for less than $60 in drab colors)
Sitka Gear 90% Pants (discontinued but still show up in the used market and worth searching for)
Sitka Gear Ascent Pants (new version is thinner than the old version and run smaller than other Sitka pants)
Sitka Gear Mountain Pants (better for mid than early season but great pants)
BlackOvis Granite Peak (roomy cut thighs and good stretch. cheap on Camofire)
Kuiu Pro Pants (snug fit but well constructed, stretchy fabric and knee pads)

I love the First Lite Obsidians for early season but they are more expensive and not as durable as the Corrugates so I left them out.

I have Kuiu Attack, Pro and Katana pants. For me the Pro pants fit the best but are still snug in the thighs. The fabric is stretchy and comfortable so it is more of a layering limitation than anything. The knee pads are great.

I've had great luck with 2 different pairs of Mountain Hardwear pants I've purchased second hand but don't know the models as it seems both have been discontinued. The older version of the Marmot Scree was a available in XXL size and they are great pants although more of a mid-season.

I've had many Wrangler ATG and Outdoor Series pants and while they seem like a great value I feel the fabric and construction are substandard. They stretch out, pill & pull easily, pockets fail and stretch out quickly. OK for light day use or backup pants IMO but not ones I have high confidence in for a multi-day hunt.