FAT SHAMING NEEDED.

Taylord9

FNG
Hey guys first time poster long time stalker. I’ve recently dropped 33 pounds and want to drop 50 ish more by September. So I can charge up mountains in the panhandle and not die. I need motivation maybe some advice. I have a few tags in 3 states this fall and I don’t want my fat a$$ to be a factor in me not filling one. Yes, it’s hunting and not all hunts are successful but I want to eliminate my love handles and be able to see where I’m pissing in the woods with his fall. Thank you everyone!

Moserkr

WKR
Eat healthy. Portion control - put down the fork fatty. HIIT exercises and ruck your pack. Protein shakes help you recover faster - stay away from sugary one though. I went from 220 to 170, dropping a pound a day, and now stay between 175-185 by doing all that. I also weight train now. By the end of the season a 15 mile day with a few thousand feet of elevation wont bother you a bit.

92xj

WKR
Eat healthy. Portion control - put down the fork fatty. HIIT exercises and ruck your pack. Protein shakes help you recover faster - stay away from sugary one though. I went from 220 to 170, dropping a pound a day, and now stay between 175-185 by doing all that. I also weight train now. By the end of the season a 15 mile day with a few thousand feet of elevation wont bother you a bit.
You dropped 50 pounds in 50 days? Or did I misread your post, "dropping a pound a day"?. In order to do that you have to have a -3500 calorie day. That's s shit ton of excerise a day. What all were you doing to accomplish that? I need some of that motivation!

Trr15

WKR
I know it sounds cliche, but you've got to want it. Sounds like you have a good start, but to truly get after it, you have to truly want it. No one else can motivate you for the long haul. Ask yourself if you like the idea of being in better shape or if you're actually committed to being in better shape. Be honest with yourself, because those are two different things. You can't half ass it and expect to get the results you're looking for. Chasing elk every fall is what gets me in the gym 5-6 days/week. (My narcissistic tendencies play into it too a little bit if Im being honest.)

Moserkr

WKR
You dropped 50 pounds in 50 days? Or did I misread your post, "dropping a pound a day"?. In order to do that you have to have a -3500 calorie day. That's s shit ton of excerise a day. What all were you doing to accomplish that? I need some of that motivation!
That is correct. I knew what I weighed when I started, 220. Started working out hard again mainly doing HIIT exercises, and eating healthier. I already ate healthy, but cut out most carbs and relied heavily on veggies/meats. I tried on some carhart jeans a month later that I had kept since high school cause they were nice. I was surprised they not only fit, but were loose. So I weighed myself for the first time since I started and was at 190. Continued that program for another month and didnt go below 170 where I bottomed out. Started gaining muscle weight after that. I never tracked calories or anything. Always ate healthy til i was full. I know how to train hard though...

Back story, cause I know that is not realistic, normal, or healthy. I used to do a ton of swimming, water polo, and mainly surfing. I was lean n mean, able to swim miles all day long. Point being is I have a baseline history of athleticism. Someone who has never worked out will have a vastly different experience. I started swimming due to a back injury. My legs are very weak compared to my upper body. I tore leg muscles from pushing so hard after i lost that weight and set myself back months, which is why I mentioned protein powder - you have to recover. I can still only squat just over my body weight, my back cant handle more.

So for the OP, best thing to do is make a plan that you can stick with. Consistency is the golden ticket, the rest will follow.

Moserkr

WKR
I just remembered, the specific HIIT exercises I used were the insanity dvds lol. I could never even finish a workout that they did. Would do HIIT daily, light weights every other day since I was basically starting from scratch, and walk my dog a mile daily. Not magic, just consistent, every day, never cheated on my program for those 2 months. Fast forward 7 years and I can eat pizza and ice cream if I want again.

TheGDog

WKR
First... you've got to want it.. Bad.

"Abs are made in the Kitchen, not the Gym."

Only drink Water. And possibly Protein shakes that you've "paid for" that day by putting in the work.

NO Milk. NO Juice. Both those things give you a ton of sugar. And for a significant time you will crave them hard. But you can eventually get over it.

NO bread or non naturally occuring starches. Basically just consider those another form of sugar.

Incorporate green leafies somehow into EVERY meal. Use THEM to create volume to fill your gut.

Home-cook all your meals, or as many of them as you can.

If you're out and about? Damn near everything you can buy has something bad in it you should be avoiding.

And OMFG stay away from being near a TV anytime during lunch time or the 5p to 8p dinner rush time frame. Otherwise you will get bombarded with cheese and dairy adverts... HEAVILY

RE: The Gym?
Do 5 min on Treadmill... just walking... then get back off now that you're a lil warmed up... and Stretch for up to 10 or 15 even. Do all the stuff for stretching your lower back, and pecs and shoulders and Bi's and Tri's. And don't forget Inner thigh muscles and Calves!
Then do Elliptical with Resistance at either 10 or 11, and the Incline starting at either 10 or 11 with an Interval Program... for 30mins in the beginning. The goal being trying to keep the Resistance and Incline as high up as you can maintain them as long as you can. In the beginning.. about the 15min or 20min mark...You'll need to reach up and bip down the resistance one click. To ease up on your legs... when you do... try to continue on at this lower setting for as long as you possibly can. Look at the display, and tell yourself you're at least gonna do it for XX more bars of the interval timing. If needed bip it down again and again. But try to refrain from doing so. Each time try to make yourself hold out longer than before!!! Once you start to get where you're about 6-7 miles in that 30mins and don't really have to dip down in resistance or incline much... THEN... you're ready to try your hand at 60minutes! The goal there is to do something similar... and you're trying to see how much higher than 12mi you can pull off!

On days where you know you wanna also hit up the weights pretty strongly afterward... ya just do the 30min one. And then proceed to fill in 1hr and 45min will all kinds of upper body, back, core/abs stuff. Each different day you come in... have a plan in mind where you'll be alternating which muscle groups you focus on. YOu gotta give an area you hit up hard at least a full day for recovery, 2 even better. But you should be hitting these areas soo hard that you NEED at least 2 days to recover.

In the weights/workout portion after the cardio...
Begin with Ab work EVERY TIME.
End with shoulder work EVERY TIME.

On days where you try to bust the 60min stretch of really pushing it on the Elliptical. My suggestion for afterward would be just the Ab work, and *maybe* a couple other things. You'll not have a lot left in the tank in the beginning.

RECOVERY! AS soon as is humanly possible upon leaving the Gym, take in some Recovery Drink/Food.

6 meals a day. Try to make each meal about the size of your clenched fist.

And GET GOOD SLEEP!!!!

If you don't get Good Sleep... you'll only succeed is slowly over time over-training yourself, which will lead to frustration and/or injury.

Remember... you have to want it.. Bad. Attaining this Goal... for those of us who naturally gravitate toward gaining weight... it has to be a 24/7 thing you keep at the front of your mind... all day. Planning your day. Squeezing as much good rest as you can into that day.

And your weekend? You should be enjoying some kinda outdoor exertion activity where your progress in the Gym will show you progress in that fun sporty thing you like to do! It provides kind of a Biofeedback mechanism that helps keep you motivated.

For me it was MTB's. And I'd continue to try to push myself to pedal uphill more and more before I finally had to get off and push it. Then that glorious day will come... when you rode it up that whole way! And it will feel bad a$$!

Personally I went from pretty much where I am today, at 230-235LBs... down to 185... by following this regimen. Towards the end? During the push to the finish line of having Abs actually starting to come out...I was doing 2 workouts a day 5 days a week. Like I said... you gotta want it....Bad.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Simply have to prioritize what is of the utmost importance and Gdog above noted do you want it bad enough….diligence and dedication to your Goal….good luck🤙

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I drop an average of a pound a day every day during September on elk hunts. I generally come home weighing 20lbs less and try to get ~20 days of hunting in every year. On 10 day hunts it's 10 pounds, so the average is consistent. If I had a mountain literally in my back yard, I'd be a "very lean" machine year round. I become a little lazy if I have to drive to the mountains.

OXN939

WKR
Hey guys first time poster long time stalker. I’ve recently dropped 33 pounds and want to drop 50 ish more by September. So I can charge up mountains in the panhandle and not die. I need motivation maybe some advice. I have a few tags in 3 states this fall and I don’t want my fat a$$ to be a factor in me not filling one. Yes, it’s hunting and not all hunts are successful but I want to eliminate my love handles and be able to see where I’m pissing in the woods with his fall. Thank you everyone!

Dude you're already most of the way there. Most people have a really hard time identifying that there is an issue needing correction. Now, you just need to identify a fix.

The answer is, truly more than anything else, consistency. I am not the best athlete in the world, and rarely completely destroy myself in the gym anymore. My workouts are usually between 20 and 30 minutes, and I do five or six a week. Not exactly a training schedule that dominates my life like an olympic athlete. However, I have been doing that without significant interruption for 14 years, and this has allowed me to cruise easily through pretty much every PT test I've ever taken.

Run twice a week. Doesn't have to be super fast- just start getting a few miles in at a comfortable pace. Even alternate jogging and walking. The difficult feeling of being out of breath means that your body's physiology changing for the better. Do them on a treadmill for lower impact if your joints hurt.

Lift twice a week. Body weight works; learning to do free weights with good technique is better. Again, don't go crazy with heavy weight until your technique is excellent.

Lastly, eat lots of vegetables. NEVER cook or heat anything in plastic. Avoid processed foods- cut out soft drinks, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, low quality ground beef etc completely. If you can visually recognize a food as having grown out of the ground, you can probably eat about however much of it you want. Don't starve yourself. Make a concerted effort to drink a gallon of water a day.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
Protein first, until you're full. Fat and salt to taste.

No sugar, no refined grains (or maybe any grains), no F#@!ing seed oils.

Lift weights, maybe some sprints or HIIT type stuff, walk.
Get good sleep.

I don't care for veggies and haven't eaten them in 3 years, but if you like them and they don't cause any problems, then have at it, whatever. But make the animal protein the priority (meat, eggs, fish, etc). If you are going to eat carbs, then earn them, and go easy. 0 carbs has been a pretty good number for me, but up to 100 works as well. 30-50% protein can work wonders.

And lastly, protein first.

Geewhiz

WKR
Find something that works for you. I have been experimenting with methods of losing weight lately.

Last year before elk season i cut out all the crap food and basically just went with meat, veggies, eggs and dairy. And all of that in moderation. I was pretty constantly hungry, but lets face it, were all far from starving. I cut 27 lbs in just over a month.

This year I have been a little more lenient in the foods I eat but have only been eating breakfast and a light lunch and nothing after lunch. It doesn't seam to be as effective but that way I can still eat some carbs here and there. In the past 2 months i am down 22 lbs, and that's with a handful of cheat days and a +5 lb camping trip. I guess they call that intermittent fasting. As we get closer to season i will clean things up to last years meat/eggs/dairy/veggies diet and maybe drop a few more lbs.

Man it sure does feel good to be packing 20-30 lbs less of fat into the hills each year. Not to mention my lungs feel noticeably better just from losing some fat. They say for every pound of fat, your heart has to pump blood through 5 miles of blood vessels. That alone should be motivation.

Cant say i'm really one to give scientific advice in this area but that's what has worked for me.

TheGDog

WKR
Lift twice a week. Body weight works; learning to do free weights with good technique is better. Again, don't go crazy with heavy weight until your technique is excellent.

Lastly, eat lots of vegetables. NEVER cook or heat anything in plastic. Avoid processed foods- cut out soft drinks, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, low quality ground beef etc completely. If you can visually recognize a food as having grown out of the ground, you can probably eat about however much of it you want. Don't starve yourself. Make a concerted effort to drink a gallon of water a day.

RE: Weights? Yeah man... it's not about constantly trying to go heavier. That only eventually leads to rips and tears and joints crappin' out. (Raises hand!) It's about using the weights to help you push to the point of muscle failure/fatigue much sooner that just with body weight. Unless you're trying like hell to build up specifically for vicious power to be tapped into for physical body confrontations? It's just straight out dumb, after a certain age, to continue to be trying to push towards a higher weight in every lift/exercise you do in your regimen. Instead... shift focus to being able to do them longer and longer until you absolutely have to tapout.

Either way the whole point is for the muscle to get pushed to failure so it signals the body that it needs help and that it needs to grow like right now! It's just that getting to that kind of failure solely by pushing higher and higher weight? Trust me man... you don't wanna go down that road. It ends badly, and expensive.

RE: Eating - make a concerted effort to start learning mentally how to differentiate between the fact that you've eaten enough to be "full"... versus, you're just continuing to cram food into your pie-hole until your esophagus and stomach sphincter are begging for mercy, begging for you to stop. Work at deliberately eating more slowly... purposefully... so the food has more time to make it down into the esophagus and sit just above the stomach sphincter and swell and bulge a bit... so the nerves at that location have time to send that signal and tell your brain that you actually are full.

It's really hard to override decades worth of pleasure/stress eating habits man. That's where you wanting it... Bad... is going to come into play. And where keeping the goal on your mind 24/7 will come into play.

But there is a light at the end of the tunnel! When you do finally hit that body-fat percentage area you're looking to get down to. The power of your attractiveness to potential mates skyrockets and you WILL notice the difference in attention that you receive! And... the level to which you can begin to more aggressively play your hand in terms of engineering/pushing social encounters in the direction of the bedroom! When you get into that era... the reward then becomes Mega and addictive, so then you'll even more passionately reaffirm your dedication to your efforts! And OMG it's a beautiful place to be!

Erict

WKR
May also be worth checking with your family doctor and/or health insurance company to see if you can get a professional nutrition counseling / dietician / health coach. Good luck.