Fat tire or plus bike for hunting?

zpooch

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, I just pulled the trigger on this Timberjack. Got it for $1400. Seems like a good all around bike and well suited for my needs and budget. Rode it for a few minutes and was happy with the feel. Will be Adding a rear rack and now looking into trailer options.

You can’t cheat the mountain
I've got a timberjack that I really like. I put a 140mm fork on it and actually enjoy some aggressive trail riding with it. Look into front panniers for it and they make a triangle frame bag that fits it perfectly.

crs_100

FNG
I own a 27.5+ and a 26x 4 ebike and would only need the 4 inch tire on sand or snow as others have said. The 27.5x3 will handle hardpacked snow (ski resorts and such), but that extra inch makes a huge difference in snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
Your normal stock pedals will work fine on a decent end fatbike.
My salsa mukluk stock pedals are great wide body pedals.
You wont want anything else when pedaling in a pair of mountain hunting boots like Kennetrek, schnee , Meindel , etc.

13de82a1e67e4e43a0d6f18602213e44.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

What panniers are those?

Opinions of the pannier and trailer combo? I have a Zone to hunt next year which would be a long ride to base camp with a trailer and then day hunts from there. I was thinking about changing from the couple little Bikepacking bags that I have to panniers for the day hunts.

JeremiahH

WKR
What panniers are those?

Opinions of the pannier and trailer combo? I have a Zone to hunt next year which would be a long ride to base camp with a trailer and then day hunts from there. I was thinking about changing from the couple little Bikepacking bags that I have to panniers for the day hunts.
These are axiom panniers on Old man mountain rear rack. B.o.b trailer w/
Wide yoke. It's a great setup. Have yet to haul an animal out with it but its comin.
I've been single trailing things lately and walking but this will def have its place.

Another company makes a bow/rifle carrier for one side and then run one pannier on the other. I may do that in the future.

This works good so far.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
Just to close this out, I was really happy with how the Timberjack performed. It is comfortable and floats over the mud and sand pits that I struggled with on my previous bike.

The hunt I used it on was mostly riding on flat two track to get to an area. No real climbs or technical riding required.

I don’t have a trailer, so I rigged it out like a pack bike for the hunt and it worked extremely well. However, I’ve found a light weight game cart/bike trailer I may try out if I draw this tag next year. With this set up the bike handled everything extremely well, but getting meat out was a different story. I stuck one Nilgai hind in one panier and a heavy game bag full of loins, back straps and grind in the other. It couldn’t be ridden off-road, but it sure lightened the load to just walk the bike out. Anyway, here are a few pics of the bike and set-up. Thanks for all the advice!

9bdc22ce45bc689297063b3a250bbe5b.jpg
728af5c352f5264bd33f7672916cc02c.jpg
06eef7457141f6ba0c0cad134b8568e3.jpg
574eb191331a186316105a67c697e4d7.jpg
676bd0e2f3c0a2e6b8a3229a65964c99.jpg

You can’t cheat the mountain

Totoro

WKR
Just a tidbit, regardless of what you pick be SURE the brakes work!

I had a hunting buddy riding out of country in A-zone, bloody hot!

Needless to say the cable-style disc brakes faded into oblivion and he had to bail on a downhill to save himself.

Quad piston and 203mm rotors for max stopping power!