Fatal grizzly attack in Montana today

grfox92

WKR
not enough people would actually be successful hunting bears to make a difference. We see that with wolves. Everyone talks about it, but not many do it successfully

That wouldn't be the case where I live in Wyoming. If I could get a grizzly tag it would take maybe 1 or 2 road hunts the last hour of daylight for me to tag out. And then I could probably do it again the next day. Then again the day after that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Deadfall

WKR
That wouldn't be the case where I live in Wyoming. If I could get a grizzly tag it would take maybe 1 or 2 road hunts the last hour of daylight for me to tag out. And then I could probably do it again the next day. Then again the day after that.

That's how it is in augusta and choteau. Would be some success tge first year or two. Then bears would smarten up and get tougher to hunt. That would put most folks out if it.
There are some folks that would put in the work.

grfox92

WKR
That's how it is in augusta and choteau. Would be some success tge first year or two. Then bears would smarten up and get tougher to hunt. That would put most folks out if it.
There are some folks that would put in the work.
Agreed. The number of grizzlys they claim are in the GYE is just insulting to anyone who lives here. They are visible right from the road if you are looking for them. Spend a day out in the national forest glassing and you are going to find one but probably more.

Deadfall

WKR
Agreed. The number of grizzlys they claim are in the GYE is just insulting to anyone who lives here. They are visible right from the road if you are looking for them. Spend a day out in the national forest glassing and you are going to find one but probably more.

spent Some time in Cody area few years back Seeing some country. It’s bad there. Maybe worse then here. Bears seemed less fearful of humans down there. At least there’s places up here that bears still get a proper education. I recon it’s the same situation down there,

*zap*

WKR
Wake up to a grizz latched onto you and draggin you out of your tent....what a way to go, condolences to all involved.

grfox92

WKR
spent Some time in Cody area few years back Seeing some country. It’s bad there. Maybe worse then here. Bears seemed less fearful of humans down there. At least there’s places up here that bears still get a proper education. I recon it’s the same situation down there,
I've only lived here a short time. But from what I've seen and what I've heard, and I've met alot of guides, I'm not sure there is anywhere in the lower 48 with a density like we have here.

In 2018 I hunted this area with 4 guys. In 10 days we had 7 encounters with grizzlies. We never hunted the same place twice either.

grfox92

WKR
I've heard that alot of guides shoot them with birdshot when they get too close to camp, if that's the kind of education you are referring too haha

Deadfall

WKR
I've only lived here a short time. But from what I've seen and what I've heard, and I've met alot of guides, I'm not sure there is anywhere in the lower 48 with a density like we have here.

In 2018 I hunted this area with 4 guys. In 10 days we had 7 encounters with grizzlies. We never hunted the same place twice either.

Same Situation up here

Deadfall

WKR
It wo
I've heard that alot of guides shoot them with birdshot when they get too close to camp, if that's the kind of education you are referring too haha

it works great. The old bears up here don’t even bother our carcasses. the Wait for us to grab the meat, they take the gut pile everyone wins. things still happen sometimes, not nearly as much as it used to. Biggest deal these days are new bears coming to camp meat pole. and getting more bear fights going on which terrify the hunters…Kinda fun for me though. Nothing like slipping through the woods after listening to a bear fight, then stopping suddenly and asking your hunter if he heard that. He says heard what…IDK…They turn into a long tail cat in a room full of rockin chairs immediately…
great fun for me.

MTtrout

WKR
When the bears are wandering into town, I think it might be time for a season...
Grizzlies have been wandering into this town and many others for years. Nothing unique about this one other than a deadly attack, which is very unfortunate to every involved and SHOULD be taken by surprise.

I find it strange that some of the first post to this topic is must of been a city slicker or why aren’t we putting the fear into bears by hunting. I didn’t realize how easy it is for some to pick apart the little public knowledge that’s known to this point. Bear was believed to come into camp multiple times, I do agree, from someone who has spent many days and nights in grizzly country, this doesn’t make sense why they didn’t moved camp and also shame on anyone who might have been aware of the bear and didn’t speak up. But I guess it could be similar to some “country boy” visiting the big city and happened to look the wrong person in the eyes and is found stone cold on the curb… their place of origins and objective for being there is irrelevant

I camp in this greater area often with my family and it’s uncommon to not find evidence of grizzly bears. Even my 3 year old can follow their tracks in the mud.

I strongly encourage anyone to support the delisting of grizzlies, just like I have and still do. But let’s have some compassion while we do it.

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve spent a stupid amount of time in that area, know it intimately well, and know the majority of the ranchers/landowners well.

Also spend quite a bit of time in the bob just north of Ovando. Grizzles are a part of life there- it was a matter of time before this happened, just like it will happen sooner than later along the front to the north east.

Grizzlies are literally in these peoples yards regularly- I mentioned to a rancher in Ovando last summer that I noticed grizzly shit on the steps of his tractor parked 100yds from his house, he commented about how that bear was there every night- not even worth mention. I have watched mature grizzlies literally laying down with an arm around the smart-lick mineral tubs, licking to their hearts content, from pretty main roads.

They are VERY conditioned to humans and agriculture in this area.

OP
B

bobr1

WKR
Interesting the mods moved this from general discussion to bear hunting section.

I'm going to hunt the bob early September with a guide. I asked him if I should bring a side arm or bear spray and he kind of shrugged it off and said he's hunted that area for 20 plus years and never had a problem. I bought bear spray anyway haha, and will probably bring a pistol.

Deadfall

WKR
I'm going to hunt the bob early September with a guide. I asked him if I should bring a side arm or bear spray and he kind of shrugged it off and said he's hunted that area for 20 plus years and never had a problem. I bought bear spray anyway haha, and will probably bring a pistol.
Bear spray is plenty.

Deadfall

WKR
Lots of guys bring pistols. Very few bad encounters happen with bears back there. When they do its almost always with people who don't secure their camp spots properly

Deadfall

WKR
Last encounter I had back there was a couple years ago. Had a bear come to meet pole just outside camp. He wouldn't leave and started angling toward me. Little bird shot with some yelling he never came back. Had a hunter in outhouse at the time. Everytime after that when a hunter had to use it after dark they had a guard outside the proper. We got a good laugh out of it.

Lots of guys bring pistols. Very few bad encounters happen with bears back there. When they do its almost always with people who don't secure their camp spots properly
that's almost word for word what my guide told me. thanks for the input.