Fathers Day Scouting Trip

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome trip, Aron...enjoyed the video. Did you just go super light on food and run out, or miscalculate? I feel like we often bring too much in the way of food, and would like to reduce the weight but I have never regretted having an extra snack or two, especially when the trip out takes longer than planned or we are having a blast someplace and decide to stay an extra day.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For the last few years I've been able to pack around 2,200-2,400 calories per day with no issue, but I've been dropping body weight/fat this year and am down to 195. I'm usually in the 220 range, so I'm guessing my body needs more food because I have less stored fat to burn. I knew I would run out of food as I was scarfing down everything I had Saturday, but I wasn't too worried since the human body can survive for a couple weeks without food and one morning wasn't going to kill me:)

I'm guessing that it also had something to do with 10 miles a day and elevation gain/loss of 6,000 feet per day as well, but either way, I will be bumping my caloric intake up to 3,000 calories per day on this weeks adventure. I'm heading onto the roughest wilderness in Colorado with a good friend/hunting partner on Thursday and that should give me a good idea of 3,000 is going to be enough.

I ended up doing 25 miles in 2.5 days, but if I would have stayed in one place I probably wouldn't have needed as many calories....it was a good test run to see where I am as far as conditioning (way ahead of schedule) and where I need to be for total daily caloric intake.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply Aron. I am always fine tuning the amount/type food we pack, and it's helpful to hear what someone else is doing. Part of the reason we almost always end up with extra is that I don't often count on the less active days, meaning I pack food as if we will be hitting it hard every day of our trip, knowing full well we will likely have a day or two where we don't eat everything or work as hard. Luke's pretty skinny already, so he doesn't have much wiggle room :)

. I knew I would run out of food as I was scarfing down everything I had Saturday, but I wasn't too worried since the human body can survive for a couple weeks without food and one morning wasn't going to kill me:)
One morning might not have killed you, but the sticks, squirrels and pine cones you were contemplating might have :)

Nice video Aron. I enjoyed it. I tend to go light on food for the three or four day trips as well. I guess I get in kind of a hike explore mode and probably just push the envelope a bit in refueling like I should. Sometimes I'll just eat fish I catch in the stream instead of the backpack food I bring, "living off the land". This past weekend my wife and I ended up bringing back half of the food we took backpacking.

Thanks for sharing the video. It is interesting that you find yourself needing more food now that you are 35 pounds lighter. Btw, quit making me feel like I need to drop 20 lbs. I am 5' 9" and 190! I can run a half marathon sub 1:30 at that weight but I should still probably be at 170 to 180 range. Those 10 to 20 pounds are tough to drop.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I used the Cracks on Wed and Thursday, but swapped for the mountain lights when I got dropped off Thursday afternoon. I knew I had a long way to go and wanted to use what I already had broken-in.

I couldn't run a half marathon if someone held a gun to my head:)

BuckSnort

WKR
Nice video, I like to see stuff like the hike in and camp chores...Stuff that rarely gets seen in a strictly hunting vid...

Doj4Whlr

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Aron, you did a great job on the putting the video together. The trip seemed really awesome and I liked the end when you discussed changing the route. I feel having a bit of flexibility in the field is an advantage to anyone in the backcountry; imperative really. Thanks for providing the footage for those of us who have not had the opportunity to get out yet!

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
Can somebody tell me why some of the vimeo vids wont let me watch them on my phone, it says i have to install adobe but i already have it,

weaver

WKR
Can somebody tell me why some of the vimeo vids wont let me watch them on my phone, it says i have to install adobe but i already have it,

Hit the blue "videos" button in the upper right corner then press "couch mode".

Nice vidoe Aron. Just got back from a similiar trip here in Oregon. Was wondering what your total pack weight was?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My pack weight was 27 lbs with water weight (4 liters), spotter (85mm), tripod and camera included.