favorite 16 gauge loads

TauPhi111

WKR
This weekend I picked up a Zastava M75 16 gauge side by side shotgun. I've always wanted an affordable side by side smaller than 12 gauge and these caught my eye in the Cabelas gun library last month. This weekend I examined all of them they had and found the ONE that locked up tight and also had no stock damage/rattle. The specimen i selected isn't the prettiest but mechanically impeccable, which is great because it is going to be hunted hard.

If you have a 16 gauge, you know ammo is hard to find. For those of you that shoot a 16, what are your favorite small game and bird loads that you can find? I plan on hunting squirrels, rabbits, and maybe grouse and pheasants with this gun. Also, what's your favorite source for your 16 ga shells?

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
I love my 16ga Winchesters!

I am lucky enough to have a lifetime supply of SP16 wads, so I load 1 1/8oz lead over Longshot. I like #5 shot in that load for squirrel and pheasant. You could probably do fine with 1oz Remington game loads for rabbit and dove.

My stash of Winchester compression formed hulls is running low, so I have been using federal hulls or Remington game load hulls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
I love my 16ga Winchesters!

I am lucky enough to have a lifetime supply of SP16 wads, so I load 1 1/8oz lead over Longshot. I like #5 shot in that load for squirrel and pheasant. You could probably do fine with 1oz Remington game loads for rabbit and dove.

My stash of Winchester compression formed hulls is running low, so I have been using federal hulls or Remington game load hulls.

I take it you get reloading stuff from BPI then? I don't reload shells because the only other shotgun i have is a 12 gauge 870 so I just buy shells, but this 16 might push me over the edge to get a loader

WKR
I don't have time to reload shotgun shells. I tend to surf the net looking for deals on 16 ga stuff. Just buy multiple cases when you find a good deal. Actually quite a bit out there these days. I'd like to try a SxS but I know my odds of hitting are probably better with my Citori.

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
I take it you get reloading stuff from BPI then? I don't reload shells because the only other shotgun i have is a 12 gauge 870 so I just buy shells, but this 16 might push me over the edge to get a loader

The SP16 wad I use is no longer in production. I have components from 30 years ago still. Plenty of lead in various sizes. More primers than I’ll use in my hunting lifetime. I do have some BP wads and shell boxes though. I use those for 1oz light loads.

Reloading wouldn’t be my first choice if you’re not already reloading. I have a stockpile of components so I load what I want whenever I need it.

If money or time are concerns, just buy your promo loads like 30338 suggested. If I’m just shooting clays, promo loads are fine. I like the Remington game loads and reload the hulls.

wildcat33

WKR
16ga is easier to find now than in recent memory. I've seen liberal amounts at walmart even. I just shoot Winchester Super-X and dont put too much thought into it. #8 for target and #6 for pheasant.

For geese Ive run 00 NiceShot. Spensive though.

The best solution is for everyone to buy a 16, then we would have more and cheaper ammo.

MThuntr

WKR
I buy cases of Herter's target/dove loads from Cabelas for cheap and it seems to be pretty good. 16 gauge upland loads are readily available. I have an 870 16 and I shoot a bit of Federal Premium Wing Shok as well as some Kent Fast Lead.

Nontoxic loads can be hard to find at times so I stick to 12ga for that.

For pheasants I like Winchester Super-X 1-1/8 oz of #6 shot the best. Never had as good a luck with Fiocci Golden Pheasant. Federal is fine ammo too.

For reloading supplies, BPI (Ballistic Products) has a good assortment of 16 ga wads and new primed cases. (And I believe there is now an aftermarket maker of the long discontinued 16 ga Winchester wads mentioned above. You would have to Google search it. )

I reload my target loads to get make soft shooting good patterning loads for our families 3 different 16's...two AYA #2 SxS's and a Winchester M12 pump. Join the 16 ga Society for access to pressure tested reloading data, especially light target loads that shoot very well.

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
Cabelas frequently has purple store brand shell game loads for around $55 a case.
I buy cases of Herter's target/dove loads from Cabelas for cheap and it seems to be pretty good. 16 gauge upland loads are readily available. I have an 870 16 and I shoot a bit of Federal Premium Wing Shok as well as some Kent Fast Lead.

Nontoxic loads can be hard to find at times so I stick to 12ga for that.

I was looking for some and unfortunately Cabelas has liquidated all of their Herter's ammo and is no longer carrying it. Somehow they got rid of the brand. I'm bummed because i thought it was pretty good ammo. I was able to pick up 4 boxes of Remington game load 7.5s and a lone box of Remington XLR #4 which will be great for early season squirrels

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
I didn’t mean to pass bad info, but it looks like SP16 wads are still available in a few places. Maybe I was thinking of WAA20F1 wads. Either way, you got some good suggestions here.

The 16ga used to be praised for its “square load” for patterning purposes. Old timers felt that the 1oz shot column being nearly the same width as it was tall made for better patterns. Honestly, 3 1/4 dram 1 1/8 oz loads are pretty stout in a light shotgun. There is something to be said for 1oz loads, especially for bunnies.

For fox squirrels and roosters I really like 1 1/8 of #5. Good balance of pellet count and knockdown power.

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
I didn’t mean to pass bad info, but it looks like SP16 wads are still available in a few places. Maybe I was thinking of WAA20F1 wads. Either way, you got some good suggestions here.

The 16ga used to be praised for its “square load” for patterning purposes. Old timers felt that the 1oz shot column being nearly the same width as it was tall made for better patterns. Honestly, 3 1/4 dram 1 1/8 oz loads are pretty stout in a light shotgun. There is something to be said for 1oz loads, especially for bunnies.

For fox squirrels and roosters I really like 1 1/8 of #5. Good balance of pellet count and knockdown power.

No kidding about the 1 1/8 loads being stout in a light gun. Shot 50 rounds over the weekend and while I didn't feel it at the time, I had a fairly sore shoulder for a day and a half after. Gotta find some lighter loads before dove season.

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
No kidding about the 1 1/8 loads being stout in a light gun. Shot 50 rounds over the weekend and while I didn't feel it at the time, I had a fairly sore shoulder for a day and a half after. Gotta find some lighter loads before dove season.

For doves, I would just get Remington Game Loads in 16ga 1oz #7 1/2 at 1200fps.

Out of stock at the moment.

If you want to load your own, Ballistic products makes a wad that I use for the 1oz loads. I don’t remember which powder, but it was probably Longshot.

The biggest drawback to the 16 ga is the lack of decent light recoiling target loads from the factory. I end up reloading all my sporting clays and skeet 16 ga ammo for my side by sides. Favorite load is 7/8 oz of shot pushed about 1180 fps. I use a Ballistic Products SP16 wad, Hodgdon International powder in a Federal or Cheddite case (note Cheddite requires a Cheddite primer as they have a slightly larger primer diameter than Remington, Winchester or Federal). To top the shot up to get a crimp that is not too dished requires adding one Cheerio on top of the shot. It works OK for target use....wouldn't reload any hunting ammo with them. A single Cheerio weight a couple grains or so.

Two other good powders for light 16 ga loads are Green Dot and Unique.

My loads were taken from the 16 ga Society literature years ago and I still use them.

letrbuck

WKR
I have 4 16s and tend to buy any ammo at a good price.
However, my favorite loads are fiocchi golden pheasants and federal wing shok. Both are plated lead 1 1/8oz loads (fios are nickel, federals are copper plated), and the federals are buffered. Bought several boxes of hevi-bismuth #4s last year too. Aside from the hills being absolute garbage, they killed ducks and pheasants with authority.

Enjoy the new shotgun!

Tobey

Lil-Rokslider
Remington promo loads are simplest to find, used to shoot the cabelas herters 1oz loads by the zillion until they quit selling them. Shells R Us LLC has experienca 16 gauge loads, pretty good stuff but it's about 80 bucks a case and shipping is a killer. If I was to start loading shotshells it would be for the 16 gauge.

pirogue

WKR
Love my Belgium made Browning “Sweet Sixteen”. Like said above, glad ammo seems easier to find now.

hbc07

FNG
I was looking for some and unfortunately Cabelas has liquidated all of their Herter's ammo and is no longer carrying it. Somehow they got rid of the brand. I'm bummed because i thought it was pretty good ammo. I was able to pick up 4 boxes of Remington game load 7.5s and a lone box of Remington XLR #4 which will be great for early season squirrels
When did that happen? They were still stocked up on Herter's at Bass Pro when I was there 3-4 weeks ago.

Tobey

Lil-Rokslider
They didn't drop the whole brand, think they just changed suppliers. They used to have really nice sub gauge ammo in cheddite hulls at great prices, not no more. I think winchester is feeding the herters 12 and 20 gauge shells now.