Favorite 22 Mag

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at getting a 22 mag. Possibly a 17 but leaning towards the former. Just curious what everyone’s favorites are or ones to stay away from

Axlrod

WKR
CZ 457 in either, then:
CZ will sell you another barrel with a magazine in 22LR, 22 Mag, or 17 HMR in standard or varmint for $140-$160 also Lilja has them all plus 17 Mach2 (Lilja barrels are more)
Very easy to change (2 set screws) and they all shoot very well.
So you could have both or ALL 4 rimfire barrels and one action- that is how I started with the CZ 457...

Guns and ammo are of very limited availability right now, especially in 22 magnum.

The best bang for the buck is the Savage Heavy Barrel rifles. You'll get good to ridiculous accuracy. While the gun is built cheaply, Savage typically turns out a reliable gun. The magazines are kinda chintzy.

Next up on the price ladder are the Ruger Americans. I have one in the Predator (slightly larger barrel profile) It is pleasantly accurate with several brands of ammo. The rotary magazine is fantastic. Ruger American extractors are prone to problems. Mine isn't reliable. That's modern day Ruger in a nutshell. QC is abysmal.

As the first responder noted, CZ is a very good option. It's rare to find anyone dissatisfied with their CZ. They only cost a little more than Ruger American Predators.

There are others, but these seem to be the most commonly discussed.

Reactions: B23

Tower

FNG
Another vote for the Ruger 77/22. I have one with a Mannlicher stock and really like it. A bonus is it shares the same rotary magazine with my Ruger American .17hmr

I like my Ruger 77/22 the most of the three I’ve had. Once I had the chamber recut, barrel recrowned, bolt shimmed and trigger worked over, it shot better than my CZ.
CZ was better out of the box but that bass akward safety on the CZ was more than I could handle.
I had a Marlin for a short time. For a budget beater it was ok but accuracy wasn’t great.

gabenzeke

WKR
I almost hate to point this out, but everywhere I go the only ammo on shelves is 17hm2. So I got a volquartsen summit in the caliber and ammo is still everywhere for it. Rifle is insanely accurate too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

FLAK

WKR
My cheapo Marlin 25MN with 3x9 Leupold out shoots me.
There's a lot of hunting that can be done with a .22WMR.

Oh, i forgot I have a Henry in 22mag as well, and also with the Leupy scope.

Last edited:

MtnMuley

WKR
I've got a Ruger Precision that i can put 10 in a dime size hole at 100. The 77/22wmr is excellent, but can't group as tight with mine as the Precision. I've always eyeballed the Magnum Research semi-autos, but have never pulled the trigger.

I think the 77/22 is a looker for sure. But idk how they shoot.
For all practical purposes ill say Marlin or Savage.
I have an ancient Marlin i just had cut down and threaded and its shooting great.
1/2" 5 shot at 50 without much effort.
They are just a varmint rifle so I don't see to much in 100 yard zero. Thats quite a ways to be dispatching a varmint or grouse.

I love my Ruger M77/22 I shoot the "all weather" model, my son shoots the wood / blued model. They both love Winchester 40 gr hollow points. I bought 5000 rounds thinking that would take me to the end of the trail, but my son changed that plan. Both rifles are absolute tack drivers.

Attachments

• Little Pigs.jpg
    Little Pigs.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 18