Favorite .357 Revolver?

NDGuy

WKR
Looking to pick one up in the next few months. I have been looking pretty hard at the S&W 686 and the Ruger GP100/SP101.

What revolvers have you liked? Personal experience with either of these?

Would use it just for fun and carrying in Cat country as I do not have any plans for bear country as of now, although I guess I would be open to looking at a .44 or bigger. I initially was looking at the .357 because I am a smaller frame guy with baby hands, don't want to buy more than I can comfortably and accurately shoot!

wseidel

WKR
I have a S & W 686+ (holds 7 rounds) that is a great carry gun in a Kenai Chest Holster. I recently reloaded some 180 grain hardcast from Performance Bullet Company so I have added penetration for protection purposes. The gun is accurate and has moderate recoil. If you want to consider a 44 magnum revolver, take a look at the S&W Model 69 (holds 5 rounds). I have medium size hands and this fits me well. This is a bit smaller frame than the S&W Model 629 and I use it in Wyoming while elk hunting for bear protection....again in my Kenai Chest Holster. I keep it loaded with the ultimate 44 magnum cartridge for bear protection(in my opinion) - 44 mag Hammerheads made by Garrett Cartridges of Texas (310 grain hardcast). Recoil with this load is stout. That said, many people prefer a 10 mm in a semi-automatic handgun for the ability to carry additional rounds. I personally prefer the simplicity of a revolver. Either way, you give yourself a chance to help yourself (and others) if you find yourself in the horrific situation of a bear/cat attack. Hope this helps. Note: PM me for more specifics.

howl

WKR
SP101 or K-frame .357 with full house loads are painful. GP100 minimum for comfort, L-frames are tolerable. .327 is the max for me in a SP101. This is low end .357 power. Once you get into hot .357 I would rather have a .44. .44 mags are more pleasant for me, even in an L-frame. A large frame, heavy .44mag is much more pleasant to shoot than a light .357.

Hand size needs to match grips, which then match revolvers. So, with a grip frame like a GP100 you can get a grip that matches your hands regardless of size.

For a hiking companion I prefer a 3" S&W model 60. It's not fun with full power 357 loads but it's not bad with mid range stuff and 38's. The only way I'd go up to something like a GP100 frame is if I got one in 44 special but that's only because I handload.

wildcat33

WKR
I have an old LEO K-frame Model 66 that is smooth as silk and dead accurate. I like the k frame a little more than a j frame for shooting high test, but the j frame model 60 is also a dream to shoot.

jolemons

WKR
Im an sp101 with wood grip kind of guy. Very heavy and well built fun.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Having had both i prefer the older security six over the gp100s. I will likely go for smith or a dan wesson to replace my GP
I also like and carry the security six. Mine is the 2 and 3/4 barrel. If I were to buy another one, it would have the 4" barrel.

Bisley45

Lil-Rokslider
Ive had several 357s and currently don't own any. A 3'' SP101 is a fantastic little revolver, mine was stolen or I would still own it. This is going to sound weird but I really don't like the sharp crack and fast recoil impulse from a 357. I Load a 45 colt to moderate pressures with a 325 grain cast moving 1100 fps, with 800 foot pounds of energy I find it very comfortable to shoot vs 357s.

The GP 101 and 686 are great. Someone mentioned the Smith 69, a five shot revolver, another EXCELENT choice. if I were to buy a packing pistol it would be either a Glock 20, Smith 69, or a SP 101.

Oldffemt

WKR
I’ve owned most of the revolvers you listed. Security Six with 4” barrel is the only one I really miss. I currently have a sp101 also with 4” barrel. It’s nice with mild 357 loads or 38’s but gets to be a handful with stout loads. The factory grips are pretty small so you may like that. I got a set of custom grips for it because I have huge hands. For cat and 2 legged critters, I’d get a 9mm and some stout loads and call it a day. Ymmv

elkduds

WKR
Mine is a Taurus 617 titanium. 7 shots, 2.5 in. barrel, only 25 oz loaded, about half of a G20. I bought it to carry more than to shoot. It is a handful w heavy 357 loads, I practice w 38 special to stay competent, and to limit shooting erosion on the titanium. It is a dream to carry, and I much prefer the medium size frame to a J frame-size snubby. Always goes bang.

gphil

Lil-Rokslider
I pack a gp100 with 6in barrel in bow season and it has been a great pistol, I find the recoil very manageable with 357 loads and minimal recoil with 38 special loads.

My dad has a Smith amd Wesson 629 in 44 mag with a 6.5 in barrel and I personally feel it recoils quite abit more.

Both are great guns, but are also both fairly heavy for everyday carry in the woods, I contemplate getting a lighter pistol but I like the reliability, mild recoil and accuracy of my gp100.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have an S&W performance center 627 which I carry almost daily, for woods use I like the sp101. If I wa deferring my first 357 and didn’t have any others I’d get a go100.

Trial153

WKR
I am thinking of grabbing the Kimber K6...anyone have any feedback on it?

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Now I am considering a 10mm glock too after going to my gun range and testing them out lol

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Picked up this gem at my LGS. Went with the 7 shot GP100 with a 2.5in barrel! Felt great in my hands and found it used for $500.

4ba3d2888396305f140f562cc0947cd2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk