Favorite airline bowcase

Brendan

WKR
Well I've had that Sitka Nomad all over heck on many flights/different airlines and no one has said a word about it being oversized- it isn't.

It definitely is oversize (Over 62" L+W+H) - just not one of those things they hassle anyone about from what I've heard. From the Sitka Nomad Product Page: "The Nomad is considered Oversized Luggage. 42x16x14 Exterior Dimensions."

What I've been told, but haven't tried, is that golf gear is exempted from the size limitations. So, get yourself a hard-sided golf bag carrier, pack your gear in there, and throw in one golf club. Done and done...

Only time I've ever flown with my bow - I just wrapped the cams with foam insulation, then wrapped it in a lot of clothing and threw it in a duffle.

Last edited:

FURMAN

WKR
Since buying the Sitka Nomad.....I never use my SKB double anymore....the Nomad kills it.

It didn't used to be a big deal but now with the 50# baggage limits, the Nomad at 10.5# kills it.

Of course whatever case you use you need a good TSA proof packing system......

I have looked at that bag many times and didn't notice it had a bow hold down in it.

i'll say this about my experience with skb bow case...
Those airline handlers can be rough but worse are the conveyer belt systems, in and outside the airport gates that you cannot observe.
2x i've experienced considerable damage to the case; bent alum frame on ends, latches bent ajar, etc. Ak airlines baggage centers calling my phone when it doesn't show in oversize baggage. Typical airports i fly in/out of: Sea, san, sna, slc, phx, anchorage.
Thank goodness for skb protection.

...and here's the best part; upon inspection both times skb replaced cases with a new one!

request hand carry only from now on.

Beendare

WKR
It definitely is oversize (Over 62" L+W+H) - just not one of those things they hassle anyone about from what I've heard. From the Sitka Nomad Product Page: "The Nomad is considered Oversized Luggage. 42x16x14 Exterior Dimensions."

Yeah, its good sized....but so far so good...its never been an issue. Heck, my old SKB double bow case would be considered oversized. I had one guy years ago at the curb mention that....but a decent tip persuaded him- grin...I'm sure thats what he was angling for anyway.

I dunno how a guy brings all the gear he needs on one of these hunts without a bag like the nomad style where you can put a bunch of extra clothes, boots and stuff in there. Heck I can get my bow, a tree stand and some clothes in there too- sweet!

I haven't used the Nomad as much as my old SKB but its been on 2 trips to Alaska, Mexico,Canada and back and forth across the country now to different cities a dozen trips and no one has said anything yet.

I suppose if they do I will just say its my golf bag- eh? /grin

Last edited:

Talx

FNG
I recently flew with two bows on a 6 leg flight around Canada. Had the bow, a Prime Rival, plus the backup Mathews Creed in a Prime soft case packed with clothes around it. Tight Spot quiver off and an arrow tube plus release, allen wrenches, extra broadheads, etc in the soft case. Then the soft case and more clothes, sleeping bags (yes two, Arctic hunt) were put into a Cabelas Ripcord 42" long XL rolling duffel. Worked great!
What soft bow case would you recommend to fit inside this duffle?

Talx, I have a Prime Archery soft bow case that fits my 35” axle to axle Prime Rival very well. It fits inside the Cabelas Ripcord XL rolling duffel without a whole lot of excess room...just enough to pack some clothes around the soft case on the ends and sides. There is a lot of room on top for packs, boots, clothes etc.

boom

WKR
you all using the Sitka Nomad. you put the bow into a soft case first? somedays, ,(like today) my bow feels huge int the back of my pickup truck. stuffing it into a duffel.

anyone have pics?

I've used my SKB that has built in locks with no problem. I put alot of my clothes in there as well and it works great .

Trial153

WKR
I really like the Nomad so far ....about 10 or dozen flights and no extra changes yet. That said I am ready to get dinged anytime

MattB

WKR
What soft bow case would you recommend to fit inside this duffle?

Any basic soft case, but I don't even do that but rather use a bow sling to protect th cabling and then use clothing as padding.

Wildlifer

Lil-Rokslider
Pelican air worked great this year. It has limited padding inside that leaves a ton of room for gear. I had my bow, kill kit, all my clothes for an 8 day trip, and a few other odds and ends all fit great. Total weight was 43lbs.

TX_Diver

WKR
Old thread...

I flew 2x with a legend everest 44 this year. Worked great and is nice that it rolls and can fit clothes, optics, etc.

71lbs on united. 49lbs on southwest. No charges either time. I'd recommend paying for the bag when you check in rather than at the airport though.

Beendare

WKR
Any basic soft case, but I don't even do that but rather use a bow sling to protect th cabling and then use clothing as padding.
Yeah, that works...and its really all you need. Matt is actually the guy that got me rethinking the whole heavy hard bow case thing...thx Matt!

I use a cheap Walmart cordura soft case. A guy doesn't really need it to protect your bow, but sure it helps and there are so many times where that soft case is nice on a hunt; In a super cub, back of a quad, horse, etc that I like having it along.

The 11# bag gives you lots of options. Treestands and sticks- no problem.

Now if I'm using my recurve I can pack just about all my gear in one bag....

Last edited:
I'm another fan of the Legend Everest 44 hard/soft rolling case. It looks just like everybody else's luggage, except just a shade larger. It holds and protects my 34" compound and weighs way less than a hard case. This allows me to carry more gear in the case (avoiding extra charges). I've flown with it successfully 8 or 10 times so far.

Pramo

WKR
I fly with a SKB double bow a few times a year on Southwest and United. I take my bow, handgun and most of my hunting clothes as well. I lock it with 4 non tsa locks and let them run it through x-ray machine while I wait.

I feel better with the hard case and packing the hand gun I can use non TSA locks to avoid theft. Prior to this I used a SKB case with built in TSA locks and my rangefinder was stolen on a trip.

TBarron

WKR
+1 for the Sitka Nomad. Enough room for bow and all my gear. Keeps everything low key because it looks like a normal bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've switched over from the SKB double to a Legend and like the Legend better. Lighter and has a better layout. If you get a Legend, make sure it is the new models with the TSA locks as they have upgraded the fabric on that model. I had issues with my handles ripping the fabric on the old model. Legend gave me a new TSA style case and told me to keep the old one, so they get a +1 for customer service as well.

Longbow42

FNG
I just received the new Pelican Air bow case and really like it. Extremely sturdy and well thought out. My Lakeland case was destroyed on my spring trip to Manitoba. There is also plenty of extra room for clothes and stuff and still stay under 50 lbs. It’s expensive, but should be the last case I need.