Favorite Axis deer recipe?

bjjnbbq

FNG
What are your favorite Axis deer recipes, especially for non-tenderloin cuts?

I'm doing my first hunt in June and looking for fun and creative ideas.

I would ask at the Texas hunting forum, but having said that, I’m willing to bet that most venison recipes would translate well for axis. Good luck with your hunt. I had an axis hunt scheduled for June, but the outfitter cancelled due to the mortality rate for axis as a result of the freeze.

OP
B

bjjnbbq

FNG
I would ask at the Texas hunting forum, but having said that, I’m willing to bet that most venison recipes would translate well for axis. Good luck with your hunt. I had an axis hunt scheduled for June, but the outfitter cancelled due to the mortality rate for axis as a result of the freeze.
Dang that's too bad. Sounds like the area we're hunting (near Del Rio) didn't get hit too hard as the population is still pretty strong. Very unfortunate for so many animals lost.

JNDEER

WKR
Never ate a Texas axis, but assume they all eat the same.

Loins cut into steaks. Front shoulder, neck and trim into burger. Hind I will either steak with the cuts or use the cuts for roast crockpot style. Most any venison recipe works well and I am a big fan of hickory and mesquite seasonings/marinade for my venison.

kgk_kcc

FNG
Axis is great, but it really is just an upgraded version of all other vension, so most other recipes will apply. That being said, if you're trying to take advantage of the quality (not just doing burgers and chili) I really like the following for axis:

Teriyaki Stir Fry
Chicken Fried Medallions (tenderize/flatten out before frying) w/ caramelized jalapeños and onions
Meatballs (great alone or on top of pasta or pizza)
Bacon wrapped Tender/Backstrap (you can filet open and stuff with whatever you like)

*Some processors in Texas also offer chorizo. If you get the chance, don't pass it up. Axis makes for a great, lean chorizo that's awesome for breakfast tacos, sandwiches, etc.

jeffpg

WKR
I have access to phenomenal axis hunting on 5k acres in west Texas. We didn't lose a single animal to the freeze, the best that I can tell. In fact, the neighbor flew a chopper over our place after the freeze and counted in excess of 500 axis on our 2 mile stretch of river bottom.

Anyway, I harvest and eat a LOT of axis. It's much better than whitetail by anyone's opinion. I process some myself and have a lot processed into everything imaginable. It is very lean so any venison recipe's will work with it. I tent to try to cook it with as little seasoning as possible, to keep the true flavor of the meat, as it really is excellent. More times than not, I toss it on the grill.

Just please do not overcook your venison!

def90

WKR
Recipes should be based on the cut of meat and not so much the animal. Anything that you would do for a shoulder roast of beef should translate to a shoulder roast for elk or axis deer as well.