Favorite Backcountry Gear for 2020?

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We put a list together of our top 10 favorite pieces of gear for 2020 (this is a staff picks type list). Some of these pieces are new, some are just new to us. And for the record, just to be fair we didn't include our own products in this list.

Would love to hear if there are any top pieces that you used that stood out to you this year as well as we'll start making a 2021 gear list here soon of products to test out.

You can find the full article here on our Top Ten Best Backcountry Hunting Gear of 2020 and why each piece made it into our list, but the list is also pasted below.

1. Featherd Friends Raven Sleeping Bag
2. Vortex Razor UHD 10x42 Binos
3. Vortex Razor 4000 Rangefinder
4. First Lite Brooks Vest
5. First Lite Chamberlin Puffy Jacket
6. Day Six Arrows and Broadheads
7. Sirui VA-5 Pan Head
8. Scott Archery Sigma Release
9. Garmin GPSMAP 66i Sattelite Communicator
10. Nosler Mountain Carbon Rifle
11. Peak Refuel dehydrated meals (this is a bonus item!)

In so far as new gear for me in 2020, my top favorites, in no particular order are:

Garmin inreach mini (I think this is going to make my sat phone obsolete).

El Coyote quilt (900+ down fill, 30% over stuffed, baffle constructed, and easily the softest nylon material of any of my quilts).

Kimber Adirondack .308 (at 5.5 lbs. all up, it is currently my lightest rifle and shoots lights out).

Seek Outside DCF Silex shelter (18 oz. with everything, tons of room for one, but will easily sleep two, and although I haven't had it in any super stormy weather, it performed fine on an unprotected, above treeline, mountain side with winds gusting to a little over 30mph).

Not that I got to use it in the backcountry this year due to my elk hunt being canceled but I bought a MR Terraframe 50 and I have been able to pack out 3 whole deer ranging from about a 90 pound doe to a 145 pound dressed weight whitetail buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

daddie63

WKR
I don’t have anything to add unfortunately but I’m looking forward to reading everyone’s list.

Nightforce NXS 2.5-10.
Klymit Glassing pad worked well.
Katabatic Palisade.

Almost forgot the SG Grumman I picked up this year. Great jacket.

Last edited:
OP
Brad@Argali

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In so far as new gear for me in 2020, my top favorites, in no particular order are:

Garmin inreach mini (I think this is going to make my sat phone obsolete).

El Coyote quilt (900+ down fill, 30% over stuffed, baffle constructed, and easily the softest nylon material of any of my quilts).

Kimber Adirondack .308 (at 5.5 lbs. all up, it is currently my lightest rifle and shoots lights out).

Seek Outside DCF Silex shelter (18 oz. with everything, tons of room for one, but will easily sleep two, and although I haven't had it in any super stormy weather, it performed fine on an unprotected, above treeline, mountain side with winds gusting to a little over 30mph).
I also liked my inreach mini this year. And any Seek Outside shelter in DCF is going to be great.

OP
Brad@Argali

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Still continues to be my western mountaineering sleeping bags.

I also switched my full mountain rifle fleet to Meopta scopes this year. Nothing but fantastic performance so far.
Those WM Bags are fantastic too. I have to say though that Feathered Friends bag is as good if not better than any WM bag I've used.

hunterjmj

WKR
I mainly upgraded stuff I've had for a very long time or upgraded failed equipment.
The rifle scope was #1 on my list for 2020 since my vortex failed on a hunting trip last year. My 25 year old Manfrotto tripod was just tired and it was time. The argali game bags were a huge upgrade from the Alaska bags I've been using for a very long time. The tarp weighs nothing compared to a traditional tarp I normally carried. The clothing was just to replace worn out clothing with the exception of the ptarmigan which is my favorite piece of clothing now.

Nightforce 2.5-20x50
Sirui carbon tripod with VA5 head
Sitka traverse
Skre ptarmigan
Skre Marino base layers
Basekamp tarp
Argali game bags

Just first things that come to mind that stood out to me this year are:

Katabatic quilt 30 degree-finally pulled the trigger on a quilt this year and am so happy I did and don’t plan on looking back. I’m an active sleeper and I still found a quilt to be a better sleep set up and this quilt is definitely rated very well and I am very pleased with the construction.

BRS stove-I know a lot of guys are worried it’s junk because it weighs only an ounce and is $20 off amazon but I’ve run mine for two seasons now and it still goes like a champ. No problems with mine to boil water, make top ramen or any pasta, and heat up some coffee. Just lightens up my cool system that much more.

Inov8 GTX 345-if you haven’t quit the the heavy leather boot and switch to a trail show you don’t know what your missing. I’ve put loads of miles on them and I’m very pleased with how they have held up and my feet feel so much better at the end of the day when I get to camp. I know they may not work for everyone’s environment but I’ve tried them in many terrains and weather conditions and have no complaints.

All in all I am very pleased with all my gear and set ups it took lots of time and product testing to see what worked and didn’t and I am always looking at the next new thing but to me these three items I can’t come up with one complaint or minor adjustment.

xcutter

WKR
Schnee's Timberline Boots - Finally a boot that fits my feet with enough flex and support.
Sheepfeet Custom Orthotics - Always had foot trouble until now.
Rick Young Bino Harness - Really appreciate the simplicity and no bulk on my chest.
Leupold RX3 rangefinder - Big help on the steep angle shots.
MTN Ops Ignite - Stuff makes me feel like a million bucks.
Benchmade Steep Country - Absolutely love the knife. Cut up two deer before needing sharpened. Great ergonomics.
Cedar Ridge Outdoors LeConte 10deg Quilt - Huge weight savings and unbelievably warm. Thought I was going to freeze in it but it was very comfortable down into the 20s. Made in USA!
LUXE mini peak 2 with nest - Great lightweight tent. Saved me over 3 pounds in tent weight.

Spent way too much money this year. LOL

OP
Brad@Argali

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I mainly upgraded stuff I've had for a very long time or upgraded failed equipment.
The rifle scope was #1 on my list for 2020 since my vortex failed on a hunting trip last year. My 25 year old Manfrotto tripod was just tired and it was time. The argali game bags were a huge upgrade from the Alaska bags I've been using for a very long time. The tarp weighs nothing compared to a traditional tarp I normally carried. The clothing was just to replace worn out clothing with the exception of the ptarmigan which is my favorite piece of clothing now.

Nightforce 2.5-20x50
Sirui carbon tripod with VA5 head
Sitka traverse
Skre ptarmigan
Skre Marino base layers
Basekamp tarp
Argali game bags
Glad to see our game bags made your list!

Rob5589

WKR
Outdoor Edge Razor Pro knife. For a guy like myself that can't sharpen a knife, this thing rocks. Easily broke down a bull with one blade.

InReach mini has been money the past two seasons I have had it. Keeps the wife at ease for sure.

The K3 belt upgrade to my K2 Exo was a fantastic improvement.

Used some new Kings camo XKG clothing that was very comfortable and didn't develop any funk. Pretty cheap on Guidefitter as well.

Trr15

WKR
Benchmade altitude (replaced my havalon) and Nightforce SHV 3-10 scope were nice additions. 2nd year I’ve used the inreach mini and it’s been a great (and much lighter) replacement for the older Delorme unit I carried for years.